facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=332252205137&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Makotosun on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

Are you gonna own that Dave?
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
10 Jun 2017 20:19 #272

Replied by DEET on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

It seems improperly modified.
The tach mount is nowhere as cool as yours..... not even rubber mounted.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
10 Jun 2017 20:50 #273

Replied by Soonerbillz on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

Great catch!
The Ascot and the Big Bear were Yamaha's earliest attempts to produce a off road machine..
Now they are really collectible and it's getting hard to find original bikes
You have done a great job on this resto..congrats!
I am a huge fan of early Yamahas and the YDS series is on of my favorites.... the are a couple great Facebook groups for them as well there is a very active Yahoo group specific to these bikes.. that group has many knowledgabe members who do not frequent FB or other sites..older folks who worked in dealerships and shops..plus a number of overseas members too.. lots of info out there..

Here is my YDS3 I have in my shop.. awaiting restoration..

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This bike is pretty special..it too was a great find..
It is a very early 1964 model.. according to Yamaha the YDS3 was produced in late 64 to be sold as a 1965 model replacing the YDS2 series.. the YDS3 models came with 5 digit serial numbers.. but the very early bikes shipped to the USA were bikes produced before YDS3 production was up to speed..
Because Yamaha had not yet completely finalised production of certain YDS3 specific parts(wheels..tank..etc) these early bikes were built using parts from both the YDS2 and the YDS3..
The key indicator for these bikes is the fact that they had only 4 digits in the serial number..
The earliest known 5 digit YDS3 bikes were of very late 1964 and early 1965... my bike predates these..
Nobody really knows how many of these early bikes were made..but most of the knowledgable folks I have talked to say it was likely only a few hundred..
The vin serial stamps on my bike are matching(frame/engine) and are noted in early Yamaha files as being a true YDS3..
I firmly believe this bike may be the earliest known YDS3 in the states..it surely is the only one I have seen like it..
I am Soonerbillz... I love bikes!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Giancarlo124
Last edit: 11 Jun 2017 10:09 by Soonerbillz.
11 Jun 2017 08:53 #274

Replied by Giancarlo124 on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

Just picked up a yds3 on Craigslist. I will post a pic of it later. I got some parts with it and a service manual that I can scan and upload if anyone is interested
The Oil burners: 1973 DT-250, 1966 YM-1 305, 1966 YSD3, YZ-105
11 Jun 2017 11:12 #275

Just picked it up today. Here is a couple pictures I think I got it for a fair price, should be a nice little project. Its a 1966 YDS3 250

And here is a service manual that I got with it, I will scan it at work on monday and upload it for you guys

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, James Hart, JGersh
11 Jun 2017 13:54 #276

Found this neat old two stroke tuning book. Has port diagrams and pipe dimensions for the yamaha TD1. Along with similar info for other vintage yamahas

The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm
28 May 2019 07:47 #277

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Jeri on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

Hi I enjoyed reading that you have an early YDS3 I also believe that mine is also My serial is "8536" with motor number D10C-8536 I believe an early Big Bear Scrambler The bike is complete less the high pipes Its a black/white with horizontal badges and black/white seat Surprise that I still kicks over but it had sat outside for who knows how long If you have any comments please let me know thanks Jeri
15 Oct 2019 10:55 #278

Replied by Sh00bs on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

hey all, i have a '62 yamaha YDS-1. the key has 4 positions, im guessing OFF, ON, ON w/Lights, _______ ???
on and on w/lights are either in the 2/3 position or 3/4. idk which and also unsure what the other spot is. here's my vin for any interested parties... havent confirmed '62 but that's what the p/o said. Appreciate any help!
Y14-11938
10 Mar 2020 06:24 #279

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic EARLY YAMAHA'S 1959 -63 YDS's

The last position is often for parking light. On a nice new ignition switch, the key can be removed in the off and last position, but not in the ride positions. Unfortunately the ignition switch on Gr8auntiepat's RD200DX was not nice and tight and the key flew out somewhere on a nice Wiltshire country lane!:EEEK

From what I understand, back then it was rear light only in the US, but here in the UK and Europe we had a small 3 or 4 watt bulb in the headlight as well. Our ignition switches usually have an extra wire coloured blue/red and this is for the headlight park bulb.
10 Mar 2020 06:53 #280

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart