facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Yamaha paint matches

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Yamaha paint matches

Someone had asked about paint for 1974 DT360, this is a mid 80’s Chrysler minivan color that looks pretty close. Local NAPA store mixed it up
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
21 Aug 2019 07:02 #61

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by liferbiker on topic Share your Yamaha paints

Nice job!
21 Aug 2019 09:17 #62

Replied by Ando13 on topic Yamaha paint matches

I'm assuming this is Virginia Gold? I'm just about to re spray my 74 DT 250A and would like to know if there is a colour match that anyone has used.
Thanks
Last edit: 24 Aug 2019 17:53 by Ando13.
24 Aug 2019 17:52 #63

Replied by johninga on topic Yamaha paint matches

This thread should be a sticky.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
25 Aug 2019 17:00 #64

Replied by shyted on topic Yamaha paint matches

Just a tip passed on to me by the local painter.
I'm quite sure some of you,me included,have had problems with aerosol paint lifting over where you've filled or fine stopped defects .
He explained why.
I'ts caused by solvents and their incompatibility with other products used in filler and stopper paste ,included in that are some primers.
You can buy a product called BARRIER COAT. In the UK ,for good stuff,you will pay £10 -20 per can.
Frustratingly , i had three attempts at painting my Maico tank before finding out about barrier coat.
You put this on over the top of everything else when you have finished repairs and under your paint or primer that makes up the colour process.i.e repair,etch,flat,barrier , white primer,white base coat,silver metallic,top coat .
Having said that ,there are probably products in US paint that are not in UK paint as when i have tried to buy US paint,vendors won't sell it to me because of banned chemical products in their paint.They might make the paint more stable.
EDIT
One other thing i would like to pass on.
When you are coating with lacquer, in between coats make sure you clean the nozzle jet face. I could see the spray pattern deforming. I stopped and could see the lacquer forming in the jet path. Got a Stanley knife blade and cleaned it off. Right as rain after that.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JimA
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 12:22 by shyted.
12 Oct 2019 01:16 #65

Replied by mike8162 on topic Yamaha paint matches

A little bored tonight so I thought I would post a few pics from the painting of my RT1b tanks. I started by using Coca-Cola red as the base. I went to the paint store with the original paint on the tank with a large spot sanded into the red and then buffed. The closest thing I could find in the book was Coca-Cola red. I don't think I would have ever picked this color if I was going on memory. I had made templates and took measurements so I could get that last part of the tank correct where there is no crown to follow. Funny thing the two sides were a little different so I made a template for each side so I could keep it original looking. Small thing but keeps my borderline OCD in check. I took pics of the back of the oil tank and matched the sloppy way the masking was done there as well. The Motodad 5.5mm tape is the bomb. I then topped it with a black mixing base so it is as black as it gets. Then of course a acrylic urethane clear to finish it off.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
03 Apr 2020 19:36 #66

This message has attachments images.

Replied by mike8162 on topic Yamaha paint matches

After they were cut and buffed.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, Rick C., MarkT, 2fishkev, mdscott, Swoop56, Badger52, yamahahaha, JayB, pabdt, JimA, 750kr1, Pedalcrazy
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 19:40 by mike8162.
03 Apr 2020 19:37 #67

This message has attachments images.

Replied by MarkT on topic Yamaha paint matches

Nice paint job!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Cncman08
03 Apr 2020 19:50 #68

Replied by swm on topic Yamaha paint matches

PERFECT!!!
Quality control in 1971 must have been on vacation, my 71 DT1 & RT1 have pinstripe overlap on both bikes versus the crisp 90 degree angle on other years fuel tanks.
Coca-Cola red looks terrific, I think you hit it out of the park!
:likey
03 Apr 2020 20:44 #69

Replied by Badger52 on topic Yamaha paint matches

Looks like Coke red is a perfect match. Time to celebrate!
288501A
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, JayB
08 Apr 2020 13:33 #70

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart