facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My DT2

Replied by RT325 on topic My DT2

Love that slightly burnt orange look. really nice.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
30 Dec 2022 15:43 #101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic My DT2

Now that's a Bobby Dazzler

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It's a good idea to sand back the top of the filler spout where the seal seals against it to bare metal, this stops the ethenol bleeding under the paint.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61, Brzn
31 Dec 2022 07:15 #102

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic My DT2

Hey Pete-RT1, that's a good tip. I just finished spraying the base coat on my DT400 tank (literally 10 minutes ago), so I'll have to do that. Thanks for the tip!
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Pete-RT1
31 Dec 2022 08:58 #103

• Brzn
  • Brzn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Brzn on topic My DT2

After spending the last part of December and most of January on my 2006 Pontiac GTO with maintenance, upgrades and repairs it's time to get back to the bike while waiting on car parts.

It's been almost 4 1/2 weeks since the parts have been painted, so the paint should be cured as hard as it's going to get. I polished the Oil Tank, the Headlight Bucket and Headlight Bucket Ears. I'll wait until the Gas Tank's on the bike before I polish it.

It's hard to tell in this pic of the Oil Tank I'd purchased, but there's a pretty good dent in the front of it. I had a local PDR guy pull the dent.

It came out really nice.

I attached all the new pieces onto the Oil Tank and plan to rinse it out and install it back on the bike today. The Headlight Bucket is all assembled again with, almost, all new pieces and a NOS Voltage Regulator attached and wired.

The original and the replacement

Patina's not my thing. However, I realize it is for some. I'm going to keep all the original painted pieces for the next owner of the bike incase patina's what he/she wants.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, msavitt, Sneezles61
Last edit: 29 Jan 2023 05:46 by Brzn.
29 Jan 2023 05:44 #104

Replied by Ht1kid on topic My DT2

Looking great 
29 Jan 2023 07:07 #105

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic My DT2

Looks great. Patina wasn't my thing either in the past. I wanted everything looking new, but over the last few years and after coming across the 2 DT1's i have now which are very nice originals i have grown to respect and try to preserve the original look as much as possible. Even if it means the bike not looking the best it can.

It's hard though. As i am currently completly going thru the 68 DT1, it's actually taking more man hours to preserve and clean every nut, bolt and part then just replace with new or sand blast and repaint things.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
29 Jan 2023 13:06 #106

I too like restored but also like a low mileage survivor if it was stored properly. I’m currently working on a AT2 said I was going to do a mild restoration but I know it will probably be full bore or close 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: kevhunts, SKYDANCER46
29 Jan 2023 13:59 #107

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Spent a bunch of time during the afternoons this week on reassembly.

Oil Tank's back on

I tore the front end apart, cleaned and repacked the grease in the Steering Stem. The top was contaminated with sand, but the race and bearings were in nice shape. The bottom was still pretty clean.

The freshly painted and assembled Headlight Bucket and Ears were installed along with a new set of Bars and new hardware for the upper and lower Triple Clamps. I also replaced a cracked Reflector on the left side.

I also installed the speedometer DEET rebuilt for me and a NOS Tachometer I snagged off eBay last summer. KDI Reproductions supplied the rubbers under the Tach and Speedo as well as new Grommets for the Reflector Stays.

The Triple Clamp Hardware came from Motordad24 on eBay. The bars I also got off eBay and they are almost an exact match to the bent OEM bars I replaced (without the bend LOL); kicul965 was the seller. The only difference I can see in the bars from OEM is the knurling, but the clamps cover that, so no one would be the wiser.

I've also scored a NOS left hand mirror, and that'll go on when I'm ready to start riding her again in the spring.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Swoop56, SKYDANCER46, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, nutt, Sneezles61, hackman101
Last edit: 09 Feb 2023 12:29 by Brzn.
03 Feb 2023 14:00 #108

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

All the painted Pearl Yellow Gold parts are back on the bike.

The tank had a a bit of rust inside. I filled it with distilled white vinegar and let it sit for six days. Emptied half the vinegar out and put 70 deck screws in the tank. I shook the tank on and off for several hours then emptied it of the vinegar and screws and rinsed it out with clear water from a garden hose. Next filled the tank with about two gallons of water and a small box of Baking Soda to neutralize the acidic vinegar. Rinsed again with clear water from the hose and dried the inside with compressed air followed up with a hair dryer. Once completely dry I added 50ish decking screws back to the tank with a generous amount of 2 Stroke Oil and shook that around inside the tank to coat it with oil to stop any flash rust. This morning I rinsed the tank out with gas, drained it and installed the tank on the bike and filled in with 90 octane ethanol free gas. The bike started on the second kick. I took her for a short ride around the neighborhood.

A few bugs to work out but really glad she started right up. The tail light and brake light now flashes along with the turn signals. Might be a ground issue somewhere. I put new bars on and I'd have to guess the front turn signals are grounded to the bars, maybe even the flasher switch? That might be the problem...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 12 Feb 2023 09:45 by Brzn.
12 Feb 2023 09:41 #109

Looks Super I know you are proud of the way it turned out!!
12 Feb 2023 10:22 #110

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart