facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My DT2

• Brzn
  • Brzn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Brzn on topic My DT2

Decided to rearrange the fuel hose/fuel filter to remove the kink.

27 Mar 2022 07:51 #31

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic My DT2

The kink certainly looked like it wasn't helping.
Filter is wrong way around now.
Good luck, it's a nice bike

This image is hidden for guests.

Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
27 Mar 2022 08:22 #32

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

No flow arrow on this filter, should be okay either way I believe.
27 Mar 2022 12:29 #33

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic My DT2

Correct... BUT... If there is alot of debris and its inside the actual filter... you won't know until you run dry... far.. far away from home... The other way... the debris is visible... Maybe see alot and can swap it..
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bigdog302, swm, RT325, Pete-RT1, Brzn
27 Mar 2022 13:48 #34

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Okay, okay, another fuel filter (these break trying to remove the band clamps), and two new band clamps and I've got the fuel filter in a better flow direction and no more kink in the line. Today's pretty cold outside, with tomorrow predicted to hit 70. If there's no rain tomorrow I'll take her out for a romp again to see if she still sputters at higher rpm's.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
30 Mar 2022 12:22 #35

Replied by Hawksip on topic My DT2

What a great looking bike.  I am still working on a rolling restoration on my DT250.  The WD40 and steel wool is a great idea for the chrome.  I broke a float bowl while cleaning my carb the other day.  Lesson learned is that there is an o ring that can keep the bowl from coming off easily. Pull it straight off don't tap it like a stuck gasket.  Now I am waiting for a used replacement on eBay... thank goodness I found one.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
30 Mar 2022 14:31 #36

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Just ripped around the neighborhood for about five miles. I don't see any more fuel leaks, or oil leaks and the sputtering's gone. Time to get Insurance on her, PA State Registration and a License Plate!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, SKYDANCER46, JayB, Ht1kid, Sneezles61, adguy2112, hackman101
31 Mar 2022 09:10 #37

This message has attachments images.

• Schu
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Schu on topic My DT2

That's a beautiful bike.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
31 Mar 2022 09:26 #38

Replied by rsteve56 on topic My DT2

Wow! That color fairly matches your Goat!
01 Apr 2022 11:12 #39

• Brzn
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Well, I still have some oil leaks, it's less, but still there. 

I'd put a few miles on her riding around the neighborhood to work little things out and thought I'd taken care of the oil leak when I replaced the three oil seals around the front sprocket: countershaft sprocket seal, clutch rod seal and shifter shaft seal. The shifter shaft seal may still be leaking but it's hard to tell. I ordered a new Yamaha brand seal for it and will remove the foot peg bracket this time to better be able to square it up on its way in.

I've done two 10 mile rides to give her a better shake down. Up to 26 miles on her now.

The leak now seems to be coming from the right side cover along the gasket line towards the rear of the motor.

The little bit of gasket sticking out is hard as a rock! I've got a new gasket. The screws holding on that cover on either side of the kicker were a bit loose. I tightened them, but it made no difference. I can't tell for sure if the shifter shaft oil seal is leaking because once the bike's on its side stand the oil from the right side cover makes its way over to the shifter shaft location.

I had the autolube oil pump rebuilt by DEET, and he sent along a new gasket. I thought I'd tightened the two screws sufficiently, but they turned a bit tighter after the two 10 miles rides.

I turned them a bit tighter because there was 2 stroke oil in with the pump. There was 2 stroke oil in there when I first brought the bike home in November, so it might be the oil seal for the pumps drive gear. I'll keep my fingers crossed it was just the slightly loose screws, but don't know. I've never done a seal replacement here before, but have ordered a new one.

And I now have a new oil leak!

I was wiping the bike down and it looked like there was some dirt along the inner part of the rubber seal for the oil tank sight glass. Nope, it must have been old coagulated oil, because once I cleaned it off the sight glass started weeping oil where I wiped off what I thought was dirt. Ordered a new sight glass...

I do believe I may have stopped the very slight oil leak at the base of the cylinder. I'd torqued the head bolts to 28 foot pounds after I de-carboned  the head and top of the piston. I double checked the torque after the 26 miles I've put on her and all four head bolts turned another 1/8th-1/4 turn to get back to 28 foot pounds. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
05 Apr 2022 12:44 #40

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart