facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Sneezles and a RT2..

• Sneezles61
  • Sneezles61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

I noticed the oil tank didn’t have the fancy 360 torque induction banner on it as well.. just plain old 360….
Another item… the choke lever position. Lever is up, running.. lever down is enrichment. Somewhere I had read, lever down as run… now to find a magnifying glass to look at electric schematics.
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
25 Jun 2023 05:21 #101

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

There are occasional mistakes in Yamaha literature... parts diagrams are sometimes inaccurate as we all know. Specs can be wrong. And some photos that were used were marketing photos or pre-production "mock ups" and do not represent the production model accurately...

Perhaps the most blatantly incorrect photo is the cover of the DT1-S Owner's Manual that shows a side view of the bike with a high front fender... the photo looks a bit like someone did a "cut and paste"... Anyway, the point is that unfortunately a brochure or owner's manual photo is not reliable evidence of "correctness".

It still goes on today... many manufacturers put disclaimers on their brochures and manuals stating something like "specifications subject to change without notice" sometimes prefaced with "preproduction model shown".

And, like the cover of the DT1-S Owner's Manual, marketing sometimes alters the photos... Ford is famous for removing the radio antenna from their marketing photos even if the antenna is standard and you cannot get the vehicle without one.

On the starting lever... I don't remember seeing a mistake in Yamaha Literature... but there is confusion out there for sure... Pressing the end of the lever down is always "start" and end of lever up is always "run". My guess is the confusion comes from the fact that when pressing the lever down the other end of the lever with the plunger rises up... if you overthink and look at it that way it's easy to see how someone could get it backwards.

Another possible source of confusion is some models had a knob instead of the lever... you pull up on those to start and down to run.

(Smaller carbs sometimes have the starter plunger sideways, pull out to start, in to run.)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
25 Jun 2023 06:49 #102

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Looking at the “enrichment” lever, I now see how it works. The hinge is behind the actuator.
I get that manuals are somewhat of a broad brush view…
Those that can see the small details quickly, must have spent time “hands on” …
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
25 Jun 2023 20:21 #103

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Finally, a ride around the block today… towards the end, I heard a sharp ticking as I was letting up, still in gear… went away while under load… I didn’t check or prime the pump… (knucklehead)… I’ll verify tomorrow…
There’s a good chance I’ll bring over to the guy that bought it brand new. In his mid 70’s, I do not think he’s sturdy enough to take it for a spin…
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tinkicker
30 Jun 2023 13:23 #104

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Well I met the gentleman who bought this bike brand new.. I offered him to start it and go for a spin..
“No thanks”. He said sumptin like, my leg still hurts from it kicking back! Pictures were taken of him sitting on it today with his grand kids…. Yes, he had a big smile!
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 2fishkev, 1971DT250, Schu, Ht1kid, Tinkicker
01 Jul 2023 12:20 #105

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart