facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Sneezles and a RT2..

• Sneezles61
  • Sneezles61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Sneezles and a RT2.. was created by Sneezles61

Alrighty then, I got my parts... put the dirty old bike together.. It fired up after 4 kicks... GREAT!! But then the head light burnt out.. DAMN... 
Now after alot of reading... searching for a replacement head light... I'm rather stuck... Yes a voltage regulator is on its way... BUT... The sealed beam is a bit speedy... H4 bulbs seem to be the direction I'm leaning... I was able to remove the old burnt out bulb and not destroy the rest of the lamp housing...  Seems Halogen bulbs consume alot of energy... leading to a seasick looking lights...
   LED has issues and I can't verify it lasts long on 6 VAC... Maybe I have to add another rectifier to the lighting side side... or find a simple light just for my daytime riding... I have no desire to ride at night... 
  Did I say, that bike kicks back such as a cocked mule standing at the edge of a cliff? 
  Whew..  I'd like to hear how you have conquered this "old bike" dilemma 
Sneezles61
16 Aug 2021 14:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

I think that Octane do a 6v light with replaceable bulbs. 
16 Aug 2021 23:14 #2

Replied by shyted on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

Get used to it kicking back, they have a reputation for it as do the earlier and later model .
I can tell when mines going to do it. I never kick it up without boots on.
17 Aug 2021 02:35 #3

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

I've replaced my RT1 headlight bulb with a H4 halogen.
The beam is crap on high but not too bad on low but I'm not sure I'd be heading out at night

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I agree with Shyted, I always wear my full motorcycle boot when kicking it.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
17 Aug 2021 04:31 #4

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

So, there are places in the US that claim to assemble/make these H4 bulbs, LED types... I contact them and they come back with "sorry you are having troubles"... With many of these old bikes around, wouldn't some one engineer a bulb? Perhaps they just can't/won't break away from their standards...  Well, I'll follow Pete's lead... Once the head light is figured, I'll get mine licensed and be riding... which has been my main goal for now..
 So my bike will called "the mule" ... I'll need to dig out my workbooks now... I'll be looking forward to a half hour ride very soon... see what else is lurking inside... I'll report in..
Thank you gentlebikers!  Sneezles61
17 Aug 2021 05:03 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=232524964587&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by BillyB on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

I just bought an RT3 - all there but needs carb cleaned, battery etc before I try and start it. I've read the horror stories about these kicking back - what's the proper starting procedure? I've had plenty of 4 strokes where you have to know "the drill" regarding TDC etc but never a 2 stroke with a compression release. Could ignition timing be part of the issue with them kicking back, or is this just something they all do and you have to live with it? Thanks.
17 Aug 2021 07:14 #7

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

Not saying it's the best method, but it works for me.
If the bike hasn't been run for a few days, fuel on, two kicks with ignition off, ignition on, choke on, set kick to top of stroke then a good kick and away you go.
No decompression on the RT1.
Doesn't kickback too often but like I said, I always wear a full motorcycle boot for when it does.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
17 Aug 2021 14:33 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

They're hard on the crank key too that locates the flywheel. So if you--or previous owner-- have had the flywheel off to get at the points it'd pay to double check its tightened well--"very well" . If they 'eat' the key it'll likely kick back even harder depending which way the flywheel has moved, or not run at all, 'or' blow the exhaust off at the cylinder. Sorry if it sounds like scare tactics but just wanting to stop the possibility of it happening. Reminiscing back too long ago to remember, 50 years about, i sold a Mint RT2 with low mileage to a mate & he decided to change the points or clean them & next run it ate the crank key & made a mess of the crank. Bloody annoyed me nearly as much as it annoyed him. We both worked for the local Yam dealer in the workshop haha. Never forget that bike, 900K's or miles & the insurance assesors daughter bought it against my--or 'our'--advice, i said buy a 250 DT2. Then she stacked it into a car. Straight line crash in town, probably window-shopping. She was ok as i recall but folded the forks & frame downtubes. Think no-one tendered for it by memory so i got it for what must've been a very good cost & fixed it up. Was a good bike. Might've been an RT3 as think had a 21 front wheel but essentially identical.
17 Aug 2021 16:48 #9

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

I've seen the after market lense/reflector... Was hoping to not go that route, but use my original... I've got some bulbs coming now... 
So once I get the bulbs, I'll figure a way to mount them in the original.... which wasn't too tough to extract the bulb only... 
I suspect the nature of this old bike.. NOS/used parts aren't thrifty components... And after market parts are close to fitting'... needs a bit of creativity.. Forward!! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sneezles61
18 Aug 2021 05:28 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart