facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.
As you may guess from my username I'm Pete, I live in England and my latest project is an RT1.
My first bike was a 1978 DT175MX which I had when I was fifteen and rode around the farm my father worked on, when I wasn't fixing it.
Back to my RT1, she's a 1970 model and in pretty good original condition from what I can see so far.
My plan is to do a minimal restoration, keeping that 50 year old originality (I don't mind a little scratch here and there).
Haven't attempted to start her yet, tank need coating on the inside, carb cleaning and replacing both gearbox and engine oil.
I've checked the autolube and it appears to be working. Compression is good.
Some of the exhaust internals have corroded and are rattling around. I've removed the baffles and can see the bits which are too big to come through the outlet so I might need to cut it open on the frame side and take them out and weld back up.
Headlight bulb is blown so I have removed it and have a plan to fit a H4 halogen in its place, I'll post pictures.
Here's a few pictures of her, I love the parking permit which will definitely be staying.
Look forward to hearing from you guys
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
13 Apr 2020 04:33 #851

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Afternoon Pete - Alan here from near Salisbury and Welcome! to the site! Quite a few Brits here!

Did you get your bike from Summerbud? I did think it looked quite nice, but forgot to monitor the end of the auction!

I've got a 1972 RT2 and have been through the pain of getting parts and doing some fixes - let me know if you want to know any dos and don'ts (eg what to replace a sealed beam headlight with).

You've joined a great forum. :likey

Have fun!
13 Apr 2020 05:16 #852

Replied by mdscott on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome Pete,
:) I agree I like the sticker. The RT-1 is definitely a fan favorite, and from what I here, they're hard to find in the UK.
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
13 Apr 2020 07:01 #853

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thanks for the welcome Alan and Mark.
It is the bike from Summerbud and it is tidy.
Alan, how long have you had your RT2 and what have you done to it?
Today I changed the oil and the old oil looked really good which hopefully bodes well and the oil I drained from the tank also looked ok. I'll refill the tank tomorrow and bleed the autolube. What oils are people recommending?
I've cleaned out the petcock. It was full of crud, but not a surprise given the state of the tank.
I might pop my XR tank on it tomorrow (Frankenstein's Yamonda) after I've cleaned the carb just to see if she will start.
Any pointer before I try to start her up?
Here's the headlight as it is at the moment, I'm just waiting for the halogen H4 bulb to arrive. I plan to cut the ring on the H4 bulb to fit the hole and re-use the rubber from the original bulb and bend the tabs back.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
13 Apr 2020 12:24 #854

This message has attachments images.

This message has an attachment file.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Morning Pete.

I've had my RT2 for a couple of years now, but haven't got it up and running yet! It was one of those that looks good in the photos, but which actually had loads of parts missing that I had to source from the US - at least USPS and HMRC did well out of me! Other projects keep on getting in the way!

Let me know how you get on with your headlight fix. I'd previously spent a bit of time thinking about what bulb would fit in there - I'm not brave enough to widen the "aperture", but had thought about cutting/grinding off the lugs on a H4 bulb and finding a suitable grommet if the existing one wasn't suitable. In the end I found the headlight lens that preceded the one on the RT2 - identical in every way other than you could replace the bulbs.

Don't forget our bikes are 6v (sorry)!

Check out the link below regarding retro fitting a voltage regulator to our bikes. I bought a couple of aftermarket ones from Yuniparts here in the UK for my RT2 and DT360A, but they've closed down now. No idea if they'll work or not, mind! Have a look to see if your bike's previous owner fitted one, though I doubt it and that's why the headlight blew.

Marrying the above two topics together nicely, some members here swear by running a 12v headlight bulb instead of the normal 6v one and say it does the same job as the regulator. All food for thought!

Watch out for any kickback when you try and start it - the 360s have a bit of a reputation. Does your model come with a decompression valve/lever? If it does, the valve will be located just above where the exhaust attaches to the barrel. If it doesn't and you want to fit one, I think I read here that there is a Harley Davidson one that screws into the "blind" spark plug hole (assuming that your head has two holes!).

I think that normal two stroke oil is ok, but do a quick search of the forum using the button above if you need any reassurance.

Have fun and take care.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 00:47 by Gr8uncleal.
14 Apr 2020 00:45 #855

Replied by Suzukiguy on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello everyone! I am a Suzuki restorer, hence the name " Suzukiguy" but have just acquired a 1983 DT100K that is going to get a full restoration. Overall the bike is in decent shape but has some carb issues (like a cheap Tiawan carb and pod filter). Currently de-rusting the tank and looking for parts. I have done a few restorations, mostly 4 cylinder Suzuki GS bikes. I've attached a picture of my latest work, a 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Looking forward to all the help, as I'm sure I'll need it!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 18:14 by Suzukiguy.
16 Apr 2020 18:12 #856

This message has an attachment image.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! Suzukiguy!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
16 Apr 2020 18:30 #857

Replied by Schu on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello, and welcome.
Very nice GS. A friend of mine had a GS750 back in 78 when I rode a KZ1000. Lots of good memories revolve around those two bikes. Can't wait to see your work on the DT100.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
17 Apr 2020 10:42 #858

Replied by Suzukiguy on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thanks for the welcomes and yeah, I've got a 78 GS750E also! Restored this one about 3 years and 1500 miles ago.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
17 Apr 2020 11:26 #859

Replied by Schu on topic And just who do you think you are?

That's it.
Here's a bad photo of a bad photo showing one of our many adventures with those two bikes back in 78. I think his 750 was a couple years older.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Steve F, shyted, KennyV
Last edit: 17 Apr 2020 13:09 by Schu.
17 Apr 2020 13:07 #860

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart