facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by KennyV on topic And just who do you think you are?

Nice collection! Welcome!
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
25 Apr 2020 09:41 #861

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! from the UK.

I think that the Hawk was marketed in the UK under the model name "Super Dream", which some wags changed to "Wet Dream"! :EEEK Quite an underrated bike, but it didn't have the appeal of bikes like the RD400 and RD350LC that were around at the same time.

Another father/daughter project - it must be catching! Great news! :likey
25 Apr 2020 09:57 #862

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome fellow newbie.
My older brother had a silver wet dream and a lovely Kenny Roberts colours RD400E.
I was 15 at the time and had my DT175MX for riding around the farm and a few other places without my folks knowing.
I sneaked out a few times on both of my brothers bikes. The 250N was pretty underwhelming but the RD was awesome.
I am far more law abiding now.
My older brother is probably partly to blame for my recent ventures back into bikes as he is nearing the completion of a 1985 CR250 rebuild which he's been doing with his eldest son, who races enduros.
Hopefully my 15 year old will become more interested as my project goes on.
I'd better keep an eye on him and my other bikes, I think he has his eye on my CRF230, probably because he definitely wont be able to kick start the other two.
Enjoy your project.
Pete
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
25 Apr 2020 13:56 #863

Replied by Tjlee on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello everyone,
My name is Tom. Kinda slow in getting my introduction out. I came across this site researching oil pump operation after investing in a 74 DT250 and told the pump was bad. Reached out to Deet and have already had him rebuild the pump and help with speedo/tach.

So I am 59 and work for Dodge/Baldor, Div of ABB. I got my love for bikes when I was 10 or 11. Family of 8 kids (4 boys) and aksed my parents if I could buy a minibike. My Mom wnet off saying there will never be a motorcycle in this family - my Dad took me into the other room and said if I save up I can buy - but I could not use any of the money I already had in savings. We had a paper route in our family with my 3 older brothers for years and I already had saved up a fair amount by 11. I started that fall and saved up the $400.19 dollars to buy a GT80! I wanted the MX80 but my Dad made me buy the version with lights. On March 31st 1973 (I remember like it was yesterday) my Dad and I went down to buy it. I had a stash of cash in 20's, 10's and counted out the amount and laid it on the counter. My Dad picked up the stack as I wondered what he was doing. He counted out $200 and gave it back to me and said he would cover 1/2. I get tears in my eyes as I tell this story as I did at his funeral - what a Dad!

He loved engines and that started what would forever a love of bikes with my brothers and family. Within a few months, my oldest brother bought a used 70/71 Dt175 as he was in college in Madison. My other bothers ending up owning 75 DT250 and 75DT400 endures, which I had the chance to ride and crash. :)

Now for the funny part. Remember those lights and blinkers? Well after riding the GT80 for weak of the break-in period and fouling the plugs, and finding it did not run very well when I started riding downt he city streets - my Dad said he knew how to fix. I watched him ride to the end of the driveway reeving the bike to its limit and spoke pouring out, and as he made the turn to come back up the driveway, let out the clutch and the bike wheelied. I watched him fall to his knees and throw the bike forward as he performed the first no-rider I had ever seen. It crashed on it the left side breaking both blinkers off and solving my initial concern of having blinkers on the bike. I ran to the bike only caring about the bike and not my Dad and his bloody knees.

Every picture I see in this forum of someone on a Yamaha in the 70's takes me back to that moment.
I look forward to posting more as I restore a 74 DT250 I always wanted.
Thanks
Tom
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT, 2fishkev, Steve F, Swoop56, Badger52, KJB, yamahahaha, KennyV, Camp3, Schu, Pete-RT1
26 Apr 2020 09:21 #864

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Cracking story Tom and Welcome! from the UK.
26 Apr 2020 09:43 #865

Replied by yam-mech on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello guys my name is Peter (normaly) but everybody calling me Tom and iam from Germany . Don't ask . Loool .

Regulary (hobby) iam repairing SACHS engines for my buddies , but since a short time iam a owner off a IT200 and the Yamaha thing caught me . Iam a little bit older than 50 and iam a degreed master mechanic . So if you have questions ....... .
27 Apr 2020 10:03 #866

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Welcome! from the UK Peter/Tom!
27 Apr 2020 11:35 #867

Replied by Mighunter210 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi everyone, greetings from Wisconsin!

I'm a new member here on the forum but I've been using this form for great information over the past couple years as my interest in bikes slowly became an addiction. I don't know why I never signed up, something I should have done a long time ago!

I'm currently in college which makes having time and money to work on (and ride) my bikes pretty difficult as I go to school 1200 miles away from home. I learned to ride when I was little on a JT1 which eventually got swapped for a 1975 MX80. Since then I have acquired multiple GT80's of which most run for when friends are over and have just about done everything on my 75' MX keeping it alive all these years. In the mean time I also picked up a 1973 Yamaha GT1 that had a blown motor and I have been working on restoring it slowly to get it back to a road-able condition.

I just got my motorcycle learners permit in mid March and have since put just over 200 miles on my GT1, heres a pic for all you enduro-nuts...

Yes it is fully in the air (I ride em hard but take good care of them) after all what are enduros for if they never leave the road!

With my decision to get a license I started looking for a bigger bike about a year ago as I'm a pretty light guy, but I'm too tall for most things including GT's. Luckily this past winter I spotted a dust covered 1974 DT175A in a friends barn and got it for a deal. This is it right after a quick water down after picking it up:

I'm currently working on getting it titled and cleaned up with a restore in mind. Right now I'm trying to track down a 21" 74-76 front rim and drum for this bike to get some new Shinkos on but I'm having difficulty finding a rim in as good of condition as the rest of the bike. Seeing as I just finished exams today I will have much more time to work on it during quarantine. I am splitting my work time between this and a 1961 Willys wagon frame up build though so it gets worked on on and off.

Anyways can't wait for more learning from all you amazing people on here!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Gr8uncleal
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 19:28 by Mighunter210. Reason: upside down photo
28 Apr 2020 19:22 #868

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by darinm on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome, some of us are Suzuki fans too, or perhaps fans of all bikes in general :)
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
28 Apr 2020 21:17 #869

Replied by jerothes 125 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Jerry here from 15miles from the base of Mt. Shasta CA. I bought my first 1970 AT1 off the show room floor. My buddy had a 1969 AT1. We lived in Santa Cruz county and road every trail and back Roa we could find. Well marriage came along and the 125 had to go. Jump ahead to 2019. Found a 1970 AT1 on CL and snatched it up. It was strapped to the back of an RV for the owners vacations. Speedo said 600 miles and it took only gas tank cleaning, carb cleaning and oil drains and refills. I'm 71 now and zipping around Siskiyou County. Only thing left to do is a speedo problem. works smooth up to 35mph then jumps to 60 and stays there until I slow down and then works well until I get up to 35 again. Looking for ideas for this problem. It's great to not be a lurker anymore. Have both old time photos and current to follow.
30 Apr 2020 11:00 #870

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart