facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

source coil output at crank over?

Replied by RT325 on topic source coil output at crank over?

I should push 'unlike' on Marks post--Poor little brother!!.
Probably never been the same since.
I've heard stories of brave men shorting out flat head V8's to stop them just to demo their bravery --or--??.
Anyway, back to the Rapidrob. Not sure where 2.9btdc came from. Hope i didn't say it somewhere--should be 1.8btdc. You mention 'springy flywheel, do you mean the magnets just like to keep moving it. Pain i know.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2024 02:49 by RT325.
30 Jan 2024 02:41 #61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing has nothing to do with lack of spark.
Well i could be shot down over that statement.
But if you had points gap set at 3mm which would put timing at--who knows--somewhere way down the bore--then points probably wouldn't close to touch, so no spark.
I know you said 2.9 btdc although way wrong it should still spark as they'd still close. Just don't run it at that if spark appears as will kick back & break something.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
30 Jan 2024 03:00 #62

Replied by alnarv on topic source coil output at crank over?

You are exactly right RT325, If the points close completely and open any where, it will spark, whatever the timing happens to be. (it can't get far enough off not to spark). We have been trying to tell rapidrob he has "the cart before the horse". If everything he has said is correct, the likely fault is in the source coil.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
30 Jan 2024 08:13 #63

Replied by MarkT on topic source coil output at crank over?

Alnarv, I strongly suspect the new ignition coil.  Several times people here have replaced the ignition coil early on...  then fixed the real issue (usually points not making good contact or something like the wire between the condensor and points has compromised insulation from rubbing, very hard to spot and sometimes short doesn't show with ohmmeter). 

Then they find out the brand new ignition coil was not working.  I don't know or remember if the original ignition coil was in place and resistance tested okay before it was replaced with new?  (If so, I'd put the original ignition coil back on)  It was said that he didn't have another bike with the same type of coil. 

I do agree that once the new ignition coil is ruled out, then the source coil is likely the culprit if everything else we've been told is correct. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
30 Jan 2024 11:53 #64

Replied by Knutco11 on topic source coil output at crank over?

Anyone ever been licked by an automotive ignition coil? Ford duraspark ignition, to be specific in my case. A "friend" thought it would be funny to turn the ignition on while I was wiring up a distributor on a v8.
Thought my heart stopped for a second. Haven't talked to that guy in years, still would like to get him back for that, lol. I'd take a zap from a point operated dirt bike anyday over an auto ignition. I'd take 120 ac household shock over either as well, not recommended though lol.
30 Jan 2024 17:56 #65

Replied by Lizeec on topic source coil output at crank over?

I had a souped up Volkswagen baja bug when I was in my early twenties, a friend of mine worked for MSD Ignitions and he pretty much had MSD Ignition systems on every internal combustion engine anyone on his block owned, he installed one on my bug and it really did make it run better and start easier. One day we were swimming in a irrigation canal and were getting ready to leave and my bug wouldn’t start, I was still in wet shorts and was still wet, so I started fiddling with the coil and MSD box and it zapped me and I saw stars for days, I truly had a tingling feeling in my right arm for about six months and had limited use as I seemed to have no strength in my arm along with it cramping up constantly. 
Last edit: 30 Jan 2024 18:29 by Lizeec.
30 Jan 2024 18:23 #66

Not as funny as your stories but my triumph mettise mxer only had bare connections onto the spark plugs & at one meeting when it rained it shorted to my mx leathers at my knees & came out my hands doing max revs at the time haha. Things ya never forget.
One other memorable time on a kx80 i fitted an aftermarket cdi--coil combined but temporarily mounted it to try.
Was by my right thigh & zapped me at revs lol.
Not sure why but thinking back i'd exposed some plug lead wire & folded it back over the lead to get a tight push in.
So lead wire was at the edge.
Soon changed that.
Can anyone remember the name of those 'go fast' retard eliminator cdi-coil combined kits.
I think they were yellow or had a name in yellow on the side & main part brown.
Pro Tech, or something similar.
Pro something maybe.
30 Jan 2024 19:28 #67

Replied by Knutco11 on topic source coil output at crank over?

The thought of getting zapped by an msd setup truly terrifies me...
30 Jan 2024 20:00 #68

Replied by automan on topic source coil output at crank over?

Family.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Knutco11
31 Jan 2024 11:07 #69

Replied by MarkT on topic source coil output at crank over?

RT325...  maybe Mototek CDI?  That's the one I remember.  You removed the stock CDI box and coil and replaced them with the Mototek which had the CDI and coil in one unit. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
31 Jan 2024 13:13 #70

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart