facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

source coil output at crank over?

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic source coil output at crank over?

Alnarv,

I completely agree.  When you were talking about the "collapsing magnetic field" I was thinking you were speaking about the field in the IGNITION coil, not the source coil.  I reread your post and see you were talking about the source coil. 

I'm so used to pointing out the ignition coil on these systems generates a spark when the magnetic field is generated rather than like it does when it is collapsing (battery ignition) that I missed what you were actually saying.

You are absolutely correct that the source coil "voltage spike" when the points open is much higher than the AC sine wave voltage peak.  The visual I use (while not literally the same thing) is somewhat like having a water hose turned on low...  water is trickling out of the hose (similar to low voltage with points open)...  now block the hose with your thumb (similar to points closed)...  wait..  now remove your thumb (points open again) and the water surges out of the hose and squirts much farther than the trickle did. 

It is this "surge" of voltage that hits the primary winding of the ignition coil and generates the spark.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
19 Jan 2024 09:01 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rapidrob
  • Rapidrob's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Rapidrob on topic source coil output at crank over?

I may have found a way to mount the dial indicator base. An articulated arm mount that is very old. I've got it soaking in an oil bath in the heated ultra sound cleaner to see if I can get it to free up again. I'll be able to mount the magnetic base to the frame of the bike and hold the DI over the piston.
If this works I'll set the points using the dial indicator to the proper setting and see if there will be a spark.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
19 Jan 2024 10:05 #42

Replied by alnarv on topic source coil output at crank over?

Exactly! I use a similar "mental picture". Now for Rapidrob, the troubleshooting part is to determine whether he has that "spike" of sufficient voltage to trigger the ignition coil to do its thing. That is where using a scope or fast update on his Fluke can point to where to go next. If he has the spike, no need to look any further into the mag assy. If not, the problem is there. With .015in point gap, I can't believe the timing can be off enough to prevent spark. Since he has proved the other components to be O.K, the source coil is the only likely candidate left. (assuming he does not detect that "spike")
19 Jan 2024 10:14 #43

• Rapidrob

It took four hours to repair the articulated arm to hold the Dial Indicator. It was given to me and had not been used for many decades and was rusted together and the center steel cable had stretched.
It looks as though it will work to set the timing properly.
i.imgur.com/6a5QOLa.jpg
With the head off, it should work.
i.imgur.com/AQrLyxL.jpg
19 Jan 2024 14:46 #44

Replied by Ht1kid on topic source coil output at crank over?

i.imgur.com/SNDPu29.jpg
 This what I use screws on the cylinder stud also are you using good quality points not cheap Chinese points 
19 Jan 2024 17:06 #45

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic source coil output at crank over?

Alnarv,

There also have been several reports of brand new ignition coils that might have good "resistance" readings but simply won't spark.  There doesn't seem to be any interest in checking for the "spike" even though the tools are in hand or making sure ignition coil is good by testing it on another bike or swapping to a "known good" coil.  So it's time to sit back and

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
19 Jan 2024 21:11 #46

Replied by alnarv on topic source coil output at crank over?

10/4!
20 Jan 2024 06:01 #47

• Rapidrob

I will check for the "spike" with my O-scope after I verify that the points are set correctly.
I do not own another bike with an ignition coil like the Yamaha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
20 Jan 2024 17:30 #48

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic source coil output at crank over?

Rapidrob might be the one to ask what he thinks of the yamaha points system on those early magneto AT CT DT where they earthed the points ignition source to within the lighting coil.
Someone once said it's to boost the spark at high revs.
Ignore the rest if you like as not relevant to the old system.

It just came to mind after i found a couple of old cdi parts stators from my 465 & 490 days long ago where i'd left the high speed coil off & gone for a simple system after having problems & just used a typical simple Yamaha scooter cdi box which i had.

Sold the 490 long ago but it ran faultless for many years.
Was i missing out on top end horses or was it just less likely to foul a plug--which it never did anyway.
Or is it more likely to be to do with varying the timing at revs, hence calling it the high speed coil.
The high speed cdi coil only has about 20 ohms--to add to the 350 ohms of the main source coil & meets up in the original cdi box via a red wire into the box.
The main source coil wire is brown.
The scooter box i used just had a black-red which is scooter source coil color.
I put the scooter box black-red to the stator source brown plus the pulser white-red of course. There was also a black going out of the scooter box to the kill switch just to ground the source i guess--or pulser.
It worked anyway.
Thinking back 20 years it's possible my high speed coil was faulty--or the box was--so probably why i took the easy option seeing i had a simple box that worked with one source coil.
Sorry about the essay & feel free to bypass it as i sort of wondered off the case a bit haha.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2024 00:04 by RT325.
20 Jan 2024 23:56 #49

• Rapidrob

I'm not impressed with the magneto system at all. In the 60 plus years I've been playing with engines, never have I seen one where you have to pull the head off the engine to set the timing!
And then guess is the Source Coil is putting out the correct voltage as a "spike" and hope your test equipment is fast enough to catch the 150-200 VAC spike. (Vids show 15 VAC )
We wont talk about the tiny slots in the flywheel provided to verify the points are starting to open to set the air gap on the points.
Other than that, what a great engine to troubleshoot.
I will get it to to spark one-of-these-days. It's now a challenge.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2024 16:14 by Rapidrob.
21 Jan 2024 16:13 #50

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart