facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by hcdiiiga on topic And just who do you think you are?

My name is Mike, I bought this DT3 about 3 years ago, just had it shipped to my home in Georgia. It seems to be in pretty good shape, 12,000 miles on the odometer. What you can't see is the big Chinese carb, spigot carb sitting at a 45 degree angle because it won't fit straight up. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I found one, it needed a little Quicksteel, looks like somebody got frustrated with the petrified o ring gasket.

I sort of went down the rabbit hole on the carb and ignored everything else. it turns over but I don't even know about spark yet.

Reeds look good, no light.

An ancient set of instructions from the tool box. I imagine the lights still do not work.

My first bike was a Yamaha DS6B street twin, After I found out you could ride motorcycles in the dirt, I nearly destroyed it. Traded it for 1971 DT1, so I am somewhat familiar  with DT 250's. The two main things I remember are, there is a ball bearing at the end of the clutch pushrod, if you leave that out, you have clutch problems and if you drain the oil from the plug next to the shifter, your bike may start jumping out of gear. Learned those the hard way. I currently have a 2019 KTM Adventure S, a 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250, and this Yamaha, I have never restored a bike, heck I don't even wash them unless there is work to be done. The main thing I have learned so far is that you work on the bike 15 minutes and then spend two hours on Ebay looking for parts.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: t-bone, Mothersbaugh, Pete-RT1, Jack
24 Jul 2021 09:00 #1161

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic And just who do you think you are?

You seem to have it all figured out and now qualify as one of the experts on the site!

Welcome!
24 Jul 2021 11:59 #1162

Replied by Maxkenn on topic And just who do you think you are?

I’m 16 been riding mini bikes and go carts for years, I got a 1975 dt125 from a family friend with 10,500 miles and had been sitting for at least 20 years. I got it running the second day I had it. I just need to figure out why it keeps breaking spark plugs, and find a few pieces if the guy doesn’t still have them.
24 Jul 2021 17:11 #1163

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic And just who do you think you are?

Nice acquisition; I have one of those myself. Nice to have younger people on the site who will carry on after we old farts evaporate!
24 Jul 2021 18:24 #1164

Replied by Rick C. on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey Max, Broken plugs????
Fowling? crack the insulator??
Shoot us some pictures of them. AND the wrench you use to take them out,
Last edit: 24 Jul 2021 18:36 by Rick C..
24 Jul 2021 18:35 #1165

Replied by Penno on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello everyone.  I'm Graham based in the UK, I have a 1974 MX360A and a 1975 MX250B for mainly vintage enduro style riding.   However, the 360 now needs a piston and they seem to be pretty rare.
25 Jul 2021 00:35 #1166

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Morning Graham.

I'm guessing you're the same Penno as on the RD forum?

I saw your other post first and have posted a reply there.
25 Jul 2021 01:25 #1167

Replied by famke on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first Yamaha yesterday! She's a 1973 CT3 175 in fantastic condition. I already have a vintage 1980 Honda I'm tinkering with but this bike came to me in some kind of weird way of fate. The bike belonged to my grandfather's best friend and they have both been gone for almost a decade (his son was selling it, which was surprising that he wouldn't want to hang on to such a treasure!). So I happily purchased it and kept it "in the family". :)

The only issue I have come across is the throttle doesn't snap back after releasing it on the handlebar, so I'll have to figure out how to fix that...
(I can hear it moving in the carb so I wonder if the housing or cable itself is needing some work...)

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
28 Jul 2021 07:22 #1168

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

from the UK.

Throttle issue might be cable, or might be residue of old petrol gumming up the slide - a quick clean should short that out.
28 Jul 2021 08:25 #1169

Replied by famke on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thanks!

What do you suggest for cleaning? I currently have carb cleaner and WD-40 in the garage. Also, clean where exactly?... Sorry if that's a stupid question, bikes are still pretty new to me.
28 Jul 2021 13:49 #1170

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart