facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil leak

• Phyllo
  • Phyllo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Oil leak was created by Phyllo

I posted earlier about installing a seal on the shift shaft of my 73 DT3 250. I’ve now replaced it, countershaft, and clutch pushrod seals. Took off the other cover, crank seal not leaking. Yet, every time I go out for 7-8 miles (get er good and warmed up), I have dark drops underneath when I stop. Dark, as in black, altho a little red if you stick your finger in it. Does not smell of gas at all. Usually 2-3 drops right away, maybe 2-3 more as she cools down.
 I just changed the trans oil, so thinking it would be cleaner/lighter looking… This stuff seems to have a reddish tinge to it. I am running Yamalube 2S.
Part of me wants to think it could just be chain fling?  I would think that would end at some point … Although the chain seems really soaked in something, not sure what the PO used for lube (maybe ATF, which might explain the reddish tinge).
MarkT suggested the transmission breather hose could be clogged, just changed it when the petrified old one broke off. Would the fitting be possibly clogged? It is an awkward angle to get at. Hit it through the breather hose with compressed air?
This thing has me stumped… I know some say old bikes just leak a little, but I don’t want mine to.
Any ideas appreciated!
30 May 2023 08:19 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Oil leak

Is it the same colour as your two stroke oil? If yes, it could be this, out of the breather tube.

In certain atmospheric conditions it will sort of go uphill (sorry for the non scientific jargon!). Seems daft, I know, but we have one of those push down soap dispensers that does the same thing sometimes. 
30 May 2023 08:26 #2

• Phyllo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Phyllo on topic Oil leak

Thanks for your quick response! I had thought of this too. The honest answer is, I don’t know. I didn’t think to ask the previous owner when I picked it up last October. It has always appeared “Yamalube green “ in the sight glass and I have added Yamalube 2S to it once or twice. Thing is it doesn’t leak until after it’s been warmed up.
30 May 2023 08:34 #3

Replied by Yamfan on topic Oil leak

Is the sealing washer on the transmission drain plug good?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
30 May 2023 09:01 #4

• Phyllo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hi, yes, replaced that and the one on the neutral locator bolt(the other large bolt down), when I changed the trans oil last week. Both with new OEM gaskets. Thanks
Last edit: 30 May 2023 09:16 by Phyllo. Reason: Left out word
30 May 2023 09:14 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil leak

I thought they may they have a very thin Oring recessed into a slight angled bit on the inner end of the sprocket spacer. But doesn't show anything in parts pics.
If the nut is tight it shouldn't need anything.
Spacer hasn't folded the seal lips back in on fitting!!.
Doesn't sound like ya think its coming from there--but is oiling the chain?
Not way overfilled the oil--1 liter from empty.
Oil tank to full & finding its way out the tank breather just fro forward motion etc.
Or sidestand too much angle with a full oil tank--out the breather trick.
Last edit: 30 May 2023 16:42 by RT325.
30 May 2023 16:39 #6

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Oil leak

If it’s red, what has red oil on your bike?
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, SKYDANCER46, Brzn
30 May 2023 18:48 #7

• Phyllo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yeah, the “red” part makes me think it’s the oil on the chain, because I haven’t put anything red in or on it. Yet, it’s hard for me to believe that it would keep showing up… I haven’t ruled out the injection oil tank yet either. The transmission oil I put in was Bel-Ray EXL, made for use with wet clutches, looked like honey going in.
31 May 2023 05:30 #8

Replied by Lizeec on topic Oil leak

First order of business is to locate where the oil is coming from, I read that you haven’t had the bike long, one long shot idea I have seen is the air filter, I have seen them with what I assume was a previous owner washed the filter then soaked the filter in ATF fluid or some type of spray on red air filter oil, K&N is a popular spray on air filter oil and is colored red.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
Last edit: 31 May 2023 06:34 by Lizeec.
31 May 2023 06:31 #9

• Phyllo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I appreciate the ongoing ideas. I did replace the air filter with new OEM about a month ago. It was pre-oiled but not dripping.
Part of me wants to think it is just chain fling, but maybe a more realistic side of me is saying the chain should have been “flung” by now and is being fed by something. I need to take a closer look at the injection tank and where it’s overflow goes.
31 May 2023 06:51 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart