facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Split the case and some metal balls fell out, where do they go?

I don’t think there’s anything I hate more than fuel leaks. There may be multiple contributing factors. You may have a float valve allowing fuel to pass even with a full bowl AND your petcock when shutoff could also be letting fuel get past the seal. Good idea to pull the fuel line off with petcock off to see for sure. I have tried to gently lap float valves that I suspect are leaking and it seems to help. 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sherka
13 Dec 2022 17:49 #91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sherka
  • Sherka's Avatar Topic Author
Yes 100%, diesel I'm ok with to an extent but gasoline is just NASTY. Add a little 2 stroke mix to it and it becomes super slippery. Has just been stinking up my buddies garage for the past couple days and I feel bad, hopefully can solve this issue sooner than later. My petcock rebuild kit comes today at some point
14 Dec 2022 07:24 #92

• Sherka
Fixed the petcock today so the bike wont flood overnight... this morning I went to start it, before I fixed the petcock, and it felt like it had 400psi of compression when trying to turn it over, then I realized it might have been gas in the cylinder, so much as to it may be hydro locking almost. It freed up after a couple of kicks, I opened up the gas tank and it was close to empty when I had filled it up with 1 gallon the day before. No gas had spill out onto the floor just into the engine, nearly a gallon!! Kicked it over and over for a couple minutes, pulled the plug and it was soaked, cleaned it off, kicked and kicked some more and a couple minutes later it finally popped off! Pure fuel was coming out of my exhaust for a solid 5 seconds, it was insane. Here's a video of the aftermath.
www.youtube.com/shorts/irxNQbIWodE

After it puked all of that fun stuff out it ran just fine! Kinda crazy just how much was in there... Definitely need that carb rebuild to arrive soon. The battery still isn't charging so I can only ride it for a bit up and down my friend's street. Ontop of having no insurance, registration, title, etc. Not taking it on the roads for a while 

Last edit: 15 Dec 2022 23:29 by MarkT. Reason: insert video
15 Dec 2022 22:22 #93

You need to be very careful in turning the engine over with it full of gas. If the crankcase is full (or nearly full) of liquid, the pressure of the piston coming down can push out the crank seals (usually the mag side since it is pressed in and the clutch side has a retainer) If the seal is partially pushed out, it may only leak and cause a lean condition. If totally pushed out, the bike probably won't start. You should now take a look at the mag seal to determine if it moved. (to be safe)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sherka
16 Dec 2022 07:18 #94

• Sherka
Thank you for the heads up, never-ending project haha
16 Dec 2022 07:30 #95

It's a pretty steep learning curve getting into these bikes Sherka. When I had them as a kid I only did the minor stuff since that's all I really needed to do but now getting back into these some 40 years later with their age I/we have to learn much more about them. Hang in there you'll be an old pro before you know it and will be answering questions that newbies will be asking...
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sherka
16 Dec 2022 09:34 #96

• Sherka
I have no doubt I'll be pretty knowledgeable at some point. Doing more testing today and having a spark that's dependent on the battery screwed me. Battery still isn't charging, I have to hook it up and charge it off of my car's battery before I take it for a spin. I charged it all the way, yet it died on me super early this time, leaving me stranded. Had to get my friend to come rescue me with some jumpers. I don't really know where to start with fixing this issue. Does anyone have any idea? Like I've said before electronics really arent my strong point

In other words here are some beautiful pictures of the bike I was able to take today
imgur.com/a/1HZ61dP

As you can see I have wood propping it up in the pictures, why do these bikes lean SOOOOOO far over on the kickstand? Thats about my one gripe about the design of this bike, other than that I love it
Last edit: 16 Dec 2022 15:04 by Sherka.
16 Dec 2022 15:03 #97

The tab the kickstand connects to coming off the frame is really weak metal and most people, including me on my DT400 anyway, stand on the pegs to kick start the bike. I kept bending mine back which caused it to develop a break in it almost all the way through, I just welded it up and am hoping the weld makes it stronger. I'll find out when the restoration is done.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
16 Dec 2022 15:31 #98

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"These" bikes don't lean over like that...  "yours" does. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Could be bracket as was mentioned...  I'm also pretty sure stand is supposed to be a straight pipe and yours looks to have a pretty good bend in the middle of it? 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Sherka
16 Dec 2022 16:00 #99

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Check your voltage regulator input and output you can take it apart and check the points inside and adjust the voltage to specs look in your service manual for how to MarkT is correct on the kick stand being bent
16 Dec 2022 16:36 #100

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart