facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Split the case and some metal balls fell out, where do they go?

for what it's worth, I've restored 5 yamaha's and two had linings that fell off the shoe so I am certain that the cement only has a certain life span.  I would highly recommend replacing at least the front even if they look good so you don't injure yourself.

If your pump sat with oil in it then there's a good chance you luck out.  Get the manual from Tech Library to adjust idle stroke and cable properly (the only adjustments) and to get the output amount.  Really easy to check output with a 50 cc graduated cylinder from Amazon.

Good luck!
12 Dec 2022 10:56 #81

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sherka
  • Sherka's Avatar Topic Author
Thank y'all for the auto lube testing videos and advice... and the many warnings about the brake shoes delaminating. Definitely will do that then.

As for  the carb, its leaking a but now, not out of the bowl gasket or any of the unplugged openings, I've plugged all the little holes. But out of the bottom entrance of the carb, and only when the bike is on its side, like supported by the kickstand. When its up right it is fine, see image here  imgur.com/a/HeDiGLM

Now it runs, but not for long and I'm pretty sure its only running off of the fuel leaking into the entrance of the carb. I took the bowl off adjusted the height correctly, turned the fuel screw out to the correct amount. As for the idle speed screw I don't really know what to do with that but it still doesn't explain why it only runs for a few seconds before dying... I'm wondering if its flooding out since fuel is pouring out of the bowl into the throat of the carb...

Any advice?
12 Dec 2022 13:23 #82

Yes, remove the yellow cap on the overflow standpipe.

If float level is correct you have a bad needle and seat, stuck float, or bad float.

Capping the overflow tube just floods the engine.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Sherka
12 Dec 2022 13:49 #83

• Sherka
Thank you, just took off the caps. I'm just used to capping off open holes on stuff and automatically did it haha.

After a bit more of looking into it. The bike starts great when I squirt 2stroke mix down it throat. Runs for a bit and then dies, I'm assuming when the run I squirt down into it runs out. Either it just not getting any fuel or getting way too much.

Regardless you would be correct, I tested the float and its fine, guess I need a needle and seat. Does anyone have a quality recommendation of a rebuild kit? I've read around that the keyster ones arent the best.
12 Dec 2022 16:44 #84

You can get genuine Mikuni parts from Niche cycle, not sure they sale kits so you might have to piece meal it.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sherka
12 Dec 2022 17:14 #85

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You could have pinholes in the float. I thought mine was fine, the original from '71, but turns out it was leaking. Tried to solder it, didn't work, then got a new one. Take it out and shake it to see.
12 Dec 2022 17:37 #86

• Sherka
Alright! A simple fix unveils a lot more issues haha. Turns out I had it fully choked when trying to run it, figured choke all the way push in was open but its the opposite. Check out the video below to finally see it rip!!!!

Now it runs on its own fuel supply, starts great, idles fine, revs up fine (in neutral). 1st gear it'll take off, 2nd gear is usually ok and 3rd gear is pretty poor, to the point the engine almost stalls out if you keep it in 3rd. Just seems like its starving of fuel entirely... or totally flooding don't know what the difference would be. Only happens under load going up a slight incline. As soon as I pull the clutch it'll rev up just fine. These symptoms have happened a couple times in 2nd gear going up pretty steep hills. Adjusting the carb does nothing.

The carb likes to piss out lots of fuel from the overflow tube now that its unplugged, like tons, it just doesn't stop. This only happens when the engine is off, once you start it its fine. I just have to plug it when I go to park it. 
imgur.com/a/GabiNrS

So obviously I have a carb issue, just don't know what exactly that issue is? I checked the float, it floats and doesn't have anything in it. Cleaned out the needle and seat and everything looks to be fine. Might just order a kit to go ahead and not have to worry about any of that though. Does anyone know what these symptoms mean?

My battery also isn't charging, brushes are well within spec, my armature wasn't damaged or worn. I hate electronics and issues that come with them. Guess I'll have to track this all down. Wish I had one of the 6v magneto versions of these bikes right about now, seems much simpler and you don't have to rely on a battery for spark.

As usual, any advice is appreciated! Could not have made it this far without all of everyone's wisdom and for that I thank you
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
13 Dec 2022 16:08 #87

Check your plug, it will tell you if you're getting enough fuel or too much.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
13 Dec 2022 16:21 #88

• Sherka
So simple that I totally blanked over it. I'll get it running tomorrow and check the plug. I've always been kinda scared of adjusting the carb with 2 strokes. Never wanted to go too lean and end up frying the engine. I have had the air screw out at the factory recommended spec of 1 and 3/4 turns out is there a limit I shouldn't go under? Like don't go below 1 screw outwards orrrr?
Last edit: 13 Dec 2022 16:34 by Sherka.
13 Dec 2022 16:28 #89

There's manuals in the tech library for the mikuni carb, good information in there. I've also seen videos on youtube that shows you how to adjust the carb. I had to go through a lot of trial and error on my DT2 after I put a much bigger carb on it, just be patient and go for short rides then check the plug. I probably pulled my plug 50 times checking to see how it was running before I was happy with it. Good luck and good job on your progress so far.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
13 Dec 2022 16:34 #90

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart