facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
I guess that's true, Pretty frustrating at the time though. Should have known better but oh well, lesson learned.
01 Jun 2021 18:20 #191

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Early DT1's had 5mm screws on the pressure plate. They changed them to 6mm pretty quick thank goodness. Mind you your 360 has 6mm. So someone prior has stretched them & you drew the short straw unfortunately.
01 Jun 2021 23:42 #192

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Can't speak to all 360s but my 74 has 5mm screws.

02 Jun 2021 05:30 #193

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Made a little more progress today, steady by jerks things are slowly coming together. Got the clutch parts in that I had ordered from ebay. Took a couple of the extra discs and an old carriage bolt to make a tool to hold the boss while torquing it down. Big improvement over trying to hold it with a belt like I did the first time around. 

The ebay clutch boss was in good shape and I managed to get it all back together this time without twisting off another pressure plate screw. Next in line is to check calibration of oil pump output. Hopefully will get to that tomorrow.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 14 Jun 2021 19:13 by Jack.
14 Jun 2021 19:11 #194

This message has attachments images.

Looking great! 
14 Jun 2021 20:07 #195

Your gonna love it Jack, I ride mine almost every day!
14 Jun 2021 20:17 #196

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Had a weird and new (to me) experience with my carb today. I was on the verge of finally putting some fuel through it and see if the engine was actually going to run after all I've done to make that happen. I'd decided awhile back to repaint the tank after I found some Geneva Green that wasn't too horribly expensive so it's still sitting in a safe spot while curing out, so I was using an old lawn mower tank I had on hand to act as a temporary tank.

Hooked up fuel lines and put about a  quart of premix in. Within about 15 seconds the carb was spilling gas all over the place. I didn't have a shut off on my temporary setup so by the time I got the line unhooked and plugged I had a nice size puddle sitting under the bike. It was frustrating and puzzling because I really felt I'd done everything right in cleaning and rebuilding the carb and yet here it was leaking gas like someone had turned on a faucet. 

Nothing to do except pull it back off and look for my screw-up so off it came. Removed the float bowl and checked everything out, floats in right, float arms not bent, measurements correct, blow through it, then manually close the valve, everything working as it should, what the heck? Must have been a fluke, a one time weird event.

Put it back together and back on the bike, hooked up the fuel line. Still leaking like a madman. Pull it back off, look everything over yet again. Can't find a single problem. Must be the floats themselves are waterlogged or something. Fill the bowl with premix, floats float right up just like they should. Really scratching my head now. Can't find a problem so back together one more time, Nothing wrong,it's gotta work. Back on the bike, hook up the fuel line, leaks like crazy. 

By this time, smoke is coming out of my ears and I'm ready to take a hammer to it so I find something else to do  for awhile.  The 175 that I just bought has no kickstand and I can't deal with no kickstand so got to work building one. Couple hours later I'm ready to try the carb one more time. 

Pull it back off, remove the float bowl and just sit there looking it over and pondering. I notice for the first time that the floats have very little clearance between them and the inner walls of the float chamber. Maybe they're hanging up somehow but what could cause that. I finally take a look at the upper part of the carb and I see the problem immediately. The ebay bowl gasket I used hangs over the edge of the bowl, not much, couple mm, but just enough to interfer with the floats rising up. I trim up the inside edges of the gasket, put it back together and put some gas to it, no leaks. 

Just one of those weird little problems that pop up sometimes that are actually simple to fix but only after you find them. Just wanted to post up about it in case someone else encounters the same problem.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr, darinm, Wessi, Top Jimmy
19 Jun 2021 19:39 #197

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if what you bought was one of those parts that the seller says fits numerous bikes, but only actually fits a couple exactly, but is very similar to others (hence your trimming off of a small amount of material to make it fit). Either that, or an inexact repro part.  
20 Jun 2021 00:41 #198

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Well a few days ago I was hoping to be gently breaking in the rebuilt engine by now but unfortunately I havn't been able to get it started. It has spark but it appears weak to me so not sure if that's the problem or not, still trying to sort it out.

I pulled the plug and put a bit of fuel in and nuttin, not so much as a pop or backfire. I.ve got some respirtory problems so I can't kick it very many times before I'm totally winded and it takes quite awhile for me to recover before I can try again. And this Missouri summer weather doesn't help either.

It's also possible I'm just not able to kick it hard enough too. Not a lot of strength in my legs these days plus I don't have the decompression valve hooked up since I didn't have a cable and thirty years ago I could start it just fine without it. I may have to get it hooked up but we'll see.

I need to look up the specs on the ignition coil and check to see what shape mine is in. And I plan to check all my grounds and make sure all's good there too. If it's not that then maybe I messed up the timing. I was very careful and thought I'd did it right but it's very possible I messed it up somehow. The directions did confuse me a bit but thought I had worked it out.

I don't want to pull the head back off so I'll need to make another adapter for my dial indicator since the one I made for the initial setting was made to use with the head off. I'll work on that tomorrow so I'll have it ready if the coil checks out alright.

If not the coil and not the timing, and not my weak kicking abilities, what else should I be looking at?
22 Jun 2021 21:54 #199

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Not much to report today. Did get the dial indicator adapter made but then got to fiddling with the 175 and lost track of time so never got back to the 360. Maybe tomorrow if I don't get sidetracked again.

23 Jun 2021 18:23 #200

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart