facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks Dave.
I put a lot of thought into fabricating one myself but in the end decided it's beyond my capabilities. It looks pretty simple at first glance but actually has some pretty intricate angles, step down shoulders etc. that need to very precise to fit up inside the cap and at the same time over the tank bracket. Don't think I have the skills or the tools I'd need to get it right.
28 Jun 2021 04:50 #211

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'm still on page 20 lol & i see 5mm clutch screws. Maybe i found a clutch center off something later to be running 6mm. Learning curve for me. Great to hear its running at last. Enjoy. ps, i remember on one of mine sorting through a box of used ones & was lucky to have a full set as the threads were stretched on most.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
28 Jun 2021 05:35 #212

I have been lurking in the wings and I too am catching up on this thread.
Nice going Jack !
And for those who may wanna know ....
Then Came Bronson The Old Motorcycle Fiasco
  • Episode aired Sep 24, 1969
  •  
Jim's bike is damaged when an old woman who offers to sell him some gasoline mistakenly fills the tank with weed killer. Old-timer Alex invites Jim to use his ranch to work on the bike with the hopes that Bronson will repair his Rudge Ulster; a bike that has been garaged since 1946 due to Alex's wife's hatred of motorcycles. Henceforth, the fiasco begins..

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, shyted, Jack
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 15:26 by Rick C..
28 Jun 2021 15:23 #213

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
The damper I ordered off Ebay got here and once it was cleaned up a bit looks to be in pretty good shape.  Msavitt said he wrapped some tape around his to hold in place during installation  which seemed like good advice to me. It looked like there was some tape around it originally too so I did the same.

Installed the tank but still looking for the cap lock down part that I broke. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd hold it shut with zip ties before I'd pay 150 bucks for the piece, I was half kidding when I said that but after considering other possible ways to keep it closed I ended up doing just that. It looks pretty crude but it'll have to do until I come up with another way or get lucky and find the part needed at a reasonable price someday. I filled the tank with water and ziptied it shut and sloshed it up and down, side ways, and upside down and nary a drop leaked out so think Im good to go for now. 

Have just a few things to do yet before I can call it finished but I'm very close. Just need to find that missing cap part, install a new valve seal in the petcock when it gets here. 

Also found that neither the head light or the tail light works so I have to look into that but suspect they are both blown. Could  be a switch problem too but either way not too concerned about that as I don't plan on riding it after dark anyway and probably not on the highway either since I don't have turn signals which are  required to pass inspection here in Missouri if the bike came out with them and I believe it did although they were already missing when I got the bike thirty some years ago. 

Also need to install an inline fuel filter which I had on hand until I stole it to put on the IT the other day so have to pick up another before putting fuel in the tank.  I suspect there is still some rust hiding in the crevices inside the tank so believe an inline filter would be wise.

Still have to order the decals yet too. 

Other than those few things, I believe it's done. Thanks to all who've followed this thread and to all those who offered up their wisdom and advice. Getting the bike in running condition again is amazing but as happy as that makes me, right up there with that is how much I've learned while putting it back together. As the feller said, yesterday I couldn't even spell motorcycle mechanic and today I are one. Yeah, that's an exaggeration for sure but I have learned a ton.  I owe that to all of the real mechanics that share their knowledge with the rest of us on this site. Thanks again guys, your help is much appreciated!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1, Yamadude, msavitt
10 Jul 2021 11:20 #214

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

Good work, Jack! 

If you're seriously not going to fit indicators, then you could make many $$$ by selling your rear indicator mounts.

Headlight likely blown and, if you do decide to fit a replacement, I'd advise also fitting a 6v voltage regulator, to stop it blowing again (see relevant Service Bulletin in the Tech Library for why and how). Rear light is probably blown bulb or bad earth and should be a cheap fix.
10 Jul 2021 12:21 #215

I will look for an old cap part if I ever get a key to open the one shed...  broke key weeks ago and haven't been able to get a replacement yet. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
10 Jul 2021 12:31 #216

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks Gr8uncleal,
I'll put a regulator on there before I replace the headlight bulb. I'm gonna hang on to the signal mounts, just in case...
10 Jul 2021 12:57 #217

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks Mark, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have one! I don't even need the whole thing, none of the innards, just the housing that holds the mechanism together and screws onto the tank bracket. Been thinking ( hoping ) someone may have bought one just for the key switch part due to a broken or lost key situation and has an extra housing collecting dust somewhere.
10 Jul 2021 13:04 #218

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=294264945313&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

I have this fuel tank mount if you haven't already found one.
16 Jul 2021 18:14 #220

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart