facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Got back to the front wheel I'd started working on it a week ago. I already had a good start on cleaning the grease and grime and had knocked down the worst of the rust but still had quite a lot to do on it. Took the tire off the rim this morning and found that time had not been kind to the inner rim. Tons of rust that looked very bad but a few minutes with a cup brush took care of 99 % of it and about all that's left is down around the spoke sockets. That little bit should clean up pretty well with some smaller Dremel type brushes.

When I first started cleaning the rim rust I was using 0000 steel wool which works but after trying the aluminum foil on the handle bars yesterday that's how I'll finish up the rims. I used it on a couple other small pieces last night and played around with it on the rims a bit this afternoon and I really like it. I'm probably the last one on the planet that's ever tried that stuff but if any of you haven't I recommend you give it a try. So easy to use, cleans off the rust quite nicely and leaves no noticeable scratch marks. Just tear off a half foot or so, crumple it up a bit and use it like it like you would sandpaper.

Last week an old buddy stopped by just as I was contemplating what to do with my fuel tank. It had several dents, two which were really bad. I told him I had no idea how to fix it but was considering drastic measures like splitting the seam or maybe cutting a hole in the top big enough that I could access the inside with tools, then welding the cut out back on when finished, then lot's of grinding etc. Mike about had a stroke and begged me not to do that. He said he had a friend that worked in a body shop and that he would probably do it for far less than anyone else in the area. And about the time I was considering his offer he says "Screw it, I'm taking it with me" and walked it over to his pick up and plopped it in the bed. I told him to get a quote on just getting the worst of the dents out, not ready for paint or anything but just good enough that I could finish with a thin layer of bondo. He called me today and said 50 bucks for what I was asking. I jumped all over it and think I got a good deal. Whatever he does I'm pretty sure it'll be way better than what I could've done myself.
I've been looking around for paint and can't find anything in a spray can that comes very close to Geneva green. The two hundred dollar a pint matching stuff that I found is out of the question. I'll keep looking, but if I can't find an affordable close match to the original I'll probably incur the wrath of everyone following this thread when I paint it black. But hey guys, black is a great bike color and I have absolutely no intention of ever selling it, will definitely own it till the day I die so could care less about it's resale value or anything of that nature.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr
23 Nov 2020 18:11 #151

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mdscott has posted his paint match for the 74 360 green... saw it in person, looked great to me. He did it in his garage.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
23 Nov 2020 18:46 #152

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks Mark, I saw that. Can't find that paint for sale other than in a touch up kit where you get about an ounce of paint, something like 20 or 30 bucks. If I do find somewhere to buy a pint it'll probably be too expensive. But I'll keep looking for it just in case it's cheaper than what I expect. I think there's an automotive paint store a couple towns over. I'll check with them (if they're still there) and see what they say.
23 Nov 2020 19:24 #153

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Did more work on the front rim today. That's pretty much all did all day in fact, got the rim and hubs as well as I can get them and then set to work on the spokes. Cleaning, buffing, and waxing each spoke individually is a tedious mind numbing job but I'm pretty happy with the results. Considering how it looked a few days ago it's a big improvement and well worth the effort. I'm almost done, just a little more work on the spokes and I can put it away and start on the rear rim.

I think I've found the tires I'm gonna use. I can get Kenda 270 Dual Sports in the same size that's on there with similar tread. I think they'll be work well for me. Gonna look around just a little longer before I order anything though.

Looking into the possibility of Rustoleum Metallic Racing green (7252830) in spray cans for tank color. The cap color looks similar to Geneva green, not a perfect match for sure but similar and as I suspect most of know already you can't really judge what a paint really looks like from the cap color anyway so think I'll try to find a can and run a test on some scrap metal. It may be way off or very close. Won't really know til I try it.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
24 Nov 2020 19:37 #154

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=193012503606&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Don't hate me.

Just so everyone knows,

I don't have unlimited funds to spend on this bike, I'm already well over what I'd hoped to spend. Not complaining, just stating the facts. But,

If I can find an affordable green that is pretty close to original I'll definitely go with that. My love for this bike makes me want to keep it original, just cause. but on the other hand I wont go with whatever green is out there just because it's green. If I can't come pretty damn close to the original green then originality is already out the window so at that point my color options are wide open, and I do love black....

Thanks for the link but that seller only has one option for green and it's not even close.
25 Nov 2020 09:41 #156

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Took the rear tire off the rim today. It's quite a bit rougher than the front one, a lot more rust so not sure how well it'll clean up. I was just getting started on that out when Mike showed up with my fuel tank. The deal had been that the guy was just supposed to get the worst of the dents out and I would take it from there but for some reason he went ahead and applied the bondo too, same price so good on him I guess. I'll have to put a thin finish coat on yet but he did most of the work for me. Looks good and way better than I'd have been able to get it myself, especially since I had no idea how I was going to go about it.

Didn't get much done after Mike showed up other than talking about old times. But I have a good start on the rim and with any luck should have it done tomorrow. Everything looks to be in pretty good condition, mechanical wise, new brakes for sure and probably replace seals but bearings and shock absorber thingamajigs look and feel fine. Will be able to tell more once it's all cleaned up.
25 Nov 2020 15:46 #157

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Spent a few hours removing rust from the rear wheel and made some improvement but it didn't turn out nearly as well as the front wheel did. Not sure why the back rim was in so much worse condition than the front but it was. It'll do though.

Dismantled one fork tube today. and have started cleaning the parts. Doesn't look too bad. Have some rust on the tube but hoping it's not bad enough to cause sealing problems once it's cleaned up. The worst of it is near the top in the section that goes through the headlight supports. Have new seals on order but got a notice today that they've been delayed.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 19:32 by Jack. Reason: Edited to add pic
27 Nov 2020 19:29 #158

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Too cold to spend a lot of time in the shop lately but I get a couple hours in on days when it warms up in the afternoon I'm lowly getting the bike back together. I have both tires but still waiting on tubes for both. Between Christmas and Covid, the delivery comapanies are having a hard time keeping up I think.

Since the manual calls for installing into right side of case I decided to go with that even though that side is more difficult for me. I put the trans and crank in it today and everything spins smooth as butter and shifts pretty good considering everything is only supported on one side . Have all five gears and neutral so looking good. I don't plan on putting the case halves together until Wednesday since it's supposed to get up to 60 that day, a heat wave compared to what we've been having. Besides that it gives me another day to get my courage up. I have it sitting here in the living room covered with a sheet to keep out dust and dog hairs in the meantime.

i tested the racing green I'd ordered on some scrap metal and it's a pretty cool color but not even close to matching the original green so still looking.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, Pete-RT1
07 Dec 2020 21:10 #159

Good progress and nice project . Not a good temperature for restoration also for me, last days, i had 0°C = 32 °F in my Garage. Really hard to work with frozen fingers. One Tip: After you put together the 2 halfes of the crank case, check directly, if the kickstarter retain spring sits in the middle of the hole. In my case, the spring moved while fitting , so the slot of the axle couldnt fit into the spring. I had tp split the cases, again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
07 Dec 2020 23:32 #160

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart