facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My second DT400

Replied by r-mangan on topic My second DT400

The brown and green wires are for the turn signals, Yellow is for tailight/headlight.
13 Oct 2020 08:43 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by r-mangan on topic My second DT400

The brown and green wires are for the turn signals, Yellow is for tailight/headlight.
13 Oct 2020 09:24 #32

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic My second DT400

So I've got some conflicting info I need to clear up. I've sourced a stator from a 75' DT250. Should be here soon. I was under the understanding I needed a 74-76 flywheel to be compatible and am having a hell of a time finding one. Had a lead via classifieds here and then got this email...

"We could have figured this out in 5 minutes on the telephone instead of all this back and forth but the simple version is 74 is electronic as well but it's different part number flywheel than 75 and 76 if you want to convert two points you've got to be 73 or earlier."

Is this correct or what??
13 Oct 2020 13:00 #33

Replied by run103 on topic My second DT400

You need a running bike to troubleshoot this bike. It sure would make it easier on the pocketbook so your not buying unnecessary parts. I know the feeling been there several times.
Doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
13 Oct 2020 14:47 #34

Replied by MarkT on topic My second DT400

Run103- I think the summary is first bike didn't run right. Had CDI but kicked back like a mule even fully retarded. Replaced CDI with points system from a 74-76 DT250. First bike runs excellent now as I understand it.

This is second bike which had no spark from the CDI that it it came with. Installed CDI taken off first bike above... and again... kicked like a mule. Now looking for a second points setup from a 74-76 DT250. Hopefully found stator but is looking for flywheel.

Potential seller is telling Bbd83 that the reason he can't get a points flywheel for 74-76 DT250 is because they also had CDI.

I'm likely the person that originally said he needed a 74-76 DT250 points ignition... and in fact, sold him the only one I had that I had bought in case my DT400 CDI ever failed. So I doubt hearing that the 74-76 DT250 had points or that the 73 and earlier flywheel is larger in diameter than 74-on from me would settle the confusion for Bbd83... (although a visit to the Tech Library manuals and parts books would at least prove 74-76 250 had points.)

(One thing I have not mentioned about the earlier flywheels is the magnet count and/or ID may not be the same as the later models. This is important. Mismatched flywheel/stator will not work.)

Run103... you seem to have more experience on the CDI's than almost anyone! Maybe you have a fix for the CDI that seems to be firing way too advanced? Extending the stator slots might work but I'm not sure it would be reliable or possible damage the engine if the timing shifts around.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
13 Oct 2020 16:07 #35

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic My second DT400

Clean out the decompression passage in the cylinder leading down to the exhaust port. If you haven't done that I'll bet its plugged. Yamaha put it in there to help with kicking struggles. Check the cable is adjusted properly and working. I had the end of the cable break off so wasn't providing any kicking relief.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
Last edit: 13 Oct 2020 17:07 by Pedalcrazy.
13 Oct 2020 17:03 #36

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

MarkT - Thank you for the clarification, you're 100% right. And thank you, again, for providing me with the knowledge and parts to make my 76' my favorite bike ever. That bike is dialed, timed perfectly, starts 1-2 kick every time and is just plain awesome. That bike is what inspired me to get the 75' and also convert it to points.

I have the Clymer manual and did some tests. The CDI the bike came with was bad and I'm willing to bet it was damaged while the P.O. was riding it with the CDI hanging by a zip tie. The CDI from 76' is good and gave me the spark I needed.

Pedalcrazy- I will examine the compression release system for cleanliness and settings but I also feel that doesn't create violent kickback. Bad pulsar does and the pulsar itself is hanging by a thread on the stator. Ultimately I just want the bike to run but I don't think I'm gonna get there without swapping the stator/flywheel. Stator from a 75' DT250 is on the way. I was excited to think I had a flywheel sourced and yes, per MarkT who has been spot on with all his feedback, I was hunting specifically a 74-76 DT250 stator. The seller who has a permanent ad on here for parts definitely has me confused and frustrated but maybe not to a fault of his own. I'm still under the understanding that the only flywheel that will mate up with the stator I have coming is 74-76 DT250. If there are other options I'd like to have that knowledge. I would be willing to sacrifice lights and skip a lighting coil, making this DT a dirt specific bike. There are other flywheels available on eBay, just not a 74-76 so if it's possible to run an earlier flywheel, that'd be great to know.
13 Oct 2020 20:24 #37

Replied by run103 on topic My second DT400

I have one cd box that doesn't work at all and one the will idle but wont rev up. Whenever I have had kickback on a DT400 with stock timing it has always been the pulser. I have 4 of them that do not work and have infinite readings and 2 of them have 50 to 70 ohms on the other 2 and they kick back. the 2 with infinite readings do not fire the ignition at all. the 2 with 50 to 70 ohms also change when they get hot and I can start the bike and get 5 miles from home and they quit totally. then after they cool down they may start or kick back. Of the 15 or so bikes that I have restored as riders they all still work as far as know. Keep the mag area clean and dry and the pulser will last a long time
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
13 Oct 2020 21:34 #38

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

If I ever buy a DT400 that runs I'll be sure to keep the mag area clean, fresh gasket, all that but what I really need to do is sort out the flywheel situation. I don't know who's right as of now and am just gonna continue to try and source a 74-76 until I know something else is possible. I have living proof the 74-76 flywheel works but the rest (older models) I dunno. Hard to sort the rantings of some guy upset that I never called him when he never even offered a number up as an option. Ugh.
13 Oct 2020 22:15 #39

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Stator showed up, only had enough time to snap a pic so testing and cleaning to come. Hope to source new points, they def don't open/close freely as is.

Has anyone actually ran a HPI ignition on a dt400 in case it takes forever to find a flywheel and I wanna skip lights/charging? Would love to hear some reviews or feedback if so.
14 Oct 2020 13:54 #40

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart