facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My second DT400

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

My second DT400 was created by Bbd83

Well you'd think I learned my lesson after my 76 ankle breaking bad pulsar coil nightmare DT but noooo, found a 75 and couldn't pass it up. Price was low, had to have it. For the record my other DT is fully ripping on a points setup. I just got it home and unloaded, spent about 10 minutes on it but so far tank needs a flush, no airbox, put my other DT battery in it. No lights, no spark, has compression but haven't tested it yet. Plug boot was cracked so I tried a new one quick, nope. Tried to unplug the killswitch and ignition terminal, no spark. Will get after it tomorrow afternoon but did take a look at the flywheel & stator and looked for unplugged wires. Everything in relation to CDI is at least plugged in but haven't addressed any corrosion. Just wanted to share the new find and the suspicious wires, get the ball rolling.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Gr8uncleal, Schu, Von
02 Oct 2020 21:53 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by shyted on topic My second DT400

You have to admit it Bbd83,some people never learn.
Just joking .
Yes, it's like eating salted peanuts, once you've had one ,you just have to have another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, Schu
03 Oct 2020 04:16 #2

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic My second DT400

I've already combed eBay for a 250 points setup haha, and I haven't even looked into the bike yet lol. Either a glutton for punishment or addicted to the victories.
03 Oct 2020 07:33 #3

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Alright. So, I had a biiiit more time to mess with the DT tonight. Starting with no spark. I had the old CDI from my 76' laying there and thought to swap it. Cleaned connections, plugged it in, boom. Instant spark. Big nice one. Got excited, put battery in just to see about lights, none. Figured screw the lights for now I have spark, bit of starter fluid in carb to see if she'd fire. Kicked back like you wouldn't believe! Same as my last one. Previous owner said it had spark and ran, he parked it in his shed for awhile, went to kick it upon selling it and it wouldn't start but had spark. Most likely a lie I bet it kicked back like a mf'r and he said screw that. He also said something about how he forgot to tell me the key had to be left not right (is a 1 click key) and if I do that I'd have spark. Idk what he was talking about. Somewhere along the lines I had an oil light then could never get it again. Tried one last kick...broke the kicker clean off! So...I plan on doing some reading on testing this setup but I'm guessing I'm looking at finding another dt250 points setup. I was all excited when I got spark with that other CDI but the kickback was again terrifying and I probably won't ever be buying another DT400. BUT, I must make this one live again. Anyone know off the top of their head what the attached pic wires plug into? Was my no spark just a bad CDI and the kickback bad pulsar, how do the CDI and pulsar correlate?
03 Oct 2020 21:17 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic My second DT400

At least it was the kick start that broke and not your ankle!
Are they the brake light switch wires?
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
04 Oct 2020 00:50 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic My second DT400

I'd strobe it while having someone to kick it for you. Mark where it fire if you can get a quick view on something. Maybe find TDC as best you can by something down the plug hole rocking it over top then at the highest point mark the flywheel wherever is convenient & across to the case. I'd use something white. Then strobe kicking & see how far back it is from the mark. Be good to know as should be close to tdc on that type pulser for starting i'm half guessing. Don't suppose there's any way the white/red & white/green wires could be swapped over accidentally--think they're i a double rubber plug so no chance really. Good tight flywheel of course & a good crank key is a must as shear off easily if not tight enough. Had that on my 490 & broke a kick intermediate gear.
04 Oct 2020 03:46 #6

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I don't have a friend dumb enough to go kicking for me haha. Honestly the kickback is pretty dangerous right now. I'm gonna pull the flywheel and check things out namely the keyway and corrosion. Go from there. There really isn't a way for the wiring to get mixed up due to the plug type. Anyone identify those unplugged wires and also I can get a tested in good shape stator/flywheel from 77' 250, is that a compatible fit?
04 Oct 2020 13:42 #7

Replied by MarkT on topic My second DT400

77 has significantly different charging and lighting circuit wiring...

Anything "can" be done but I wouldn't recommend this swap unless you want to do some switch replacement and rewiring to match the later model wiring design... including a voltage regulator which would be mandatory.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
04 Oct 2020 13:58 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic My second DT400

Sorry, shoulda said kicking & strobing with the plug out& resting on the head or earthed somewhere. So ya can kick your heart out while strobing without a problem. Ming out for stray fuel thrown out the plug hole onto a live plug. Earth the plug down the side maybe. I have an inductive strobe that just clips over the plug lead & 12 volt powered. Works great. If you mark tdc & the mark you put here shows up further back around 30 degrees at kick speed then you have a problem. Bit of guess work in what i'm saying--but, if way advanced then problem. BUT--yep, check the key please--meaning pull the flywheel not just look behind the nut.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
04 Oct 2020 14:25 #9

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks guys will get after her tonight and yes, duh, plug out, my bad, thought of that as soon as I hit submit. Been riding dirt all day and my brain aint firin on all cylinders. Reboot and wrench tonight! Oh there seems to be a good 75 250 stator on eBay so may swoop that if needed and find a flywheel. Maybe get lucky and not need the swap, we'll see. I appreciate ya'll! These DT400s are too good to let die!
04 Oct 2020 14:32 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart