facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My second DT400

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic My second DT400

Got back at a bit an maaay have good news...if a sheared woodruff key is ever good news. Realized I can't do much kicking until my new/old eBay kicker arm comes since it snapped BUT I pulled the flywheel, nut was not tight, flywheel wasn't either. I expected a sheared woodruff and that's exactly what I found. The two wires I was inquiring about where the airbox should be went to the brake switch and when cleaned and reconnected gave me a taillight and brake light. P.O. was right, key to the left instead of right gives me lights. So...I need a woodruff key and would that explain the kickback considering the flywheel was all over the place. I don't quite understand the keyswitch but don't really need to at this point. I'm hoping that if I get a woodruff, clean the corrosion, flywheel, stator and put it back together I won't have the vicious kickback. Does that seem correct or am I looking at the dreaded pulsar issue? Could use some advice on cleanup of the flywheel/stator...
04 Oct 2020 22:09 #11

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by run103 on topic My second DT400

I have done 15 DT400 DT360's and I learned after the first one to remove the flywheel before you kick it over even once. Remove the flywheel and test the pulser and make sur it has 90 ohms give or take 10%. Then clean the entire area and make sure you have clearance between the spinning magnets and the pulser. Clean the inside of the mag cover and then paint it with heat resistant paint and install a new gasket so moisture. So far none have failed that i Know of. I start my bikes and ride with running shoes for weekend riding around the area and I use my moto boots for 100 mile boondocking. No doubt the pulser is a weak link but if you keep it clean in the mag area it will last a long time.
Doug
04 Oct 2020 22:34 #12

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

What do recommend using for cleanup?
04 Oct 2020 23:15 #13

Replied by run103 on topic My second DT400

I use a descaler for removing rust in plumbing applications and I have used a weak solution of muriatic acid just to move things along a little quicker and a paint brush. Then make sure the taper for the flywheel is cleaned up good so you get a nice straight tight fit. I have put 750 miles on the 1976 dt400 I am using now and it hasn't missed a beat. I do try to avoid too many creek crossings but I can do it . I have checked and no water is getting in the mag
doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: gernsperger, Bbd83
05 Oct 2020 11:48 #14

Replied by yamahahaha on topic My second DT400

I have cleaned up 2 rusty flywheels by soaking in Evaporust
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
05 Oct 2020 16:14 #15

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I was mostly worried about doing damage to the magnets or something. I got the stator cleaned up fairly well, and carefully, flywheel could definitely be better and I need to source a proper woodruff. I don't trust anything except eom/nos after trying 'other' keys.
05 Oct 2020 17:02 #16

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I was able to source a 75' DT250 stator, do I need a new flywheel also? I honestly can't for the life of me remember if I did stator & flywheel on my last DT400 points conversion or just stator.

Ordered oem woodruff key and new gasket. The timing is all over, bad pulsar, horrible kickback, just like my last dt400. :(
05 Oct 2020 22:18 #17

Replied by yamahahaha on topic My second DT400

I soaked the entire flywheel with magnets in Evaporust without any issues. Cleaned the rust right up
06 Oct 2020 07:03 #18

06 Oct 2020 07:07 #19

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Would a 68 or 70 DT1 flywheel work? I have a couple, none on eBay except one that says it's compatible on dt250 but is supposedly off a dt400.

06 Oct 2020 12:58 #20

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart