facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

1975 DT175 timing questions

• GJVGC
  • GJVGC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by GJVGC on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

Thanks Jim.
That’s a good one too

I saw and saved that one from the other thread.
23 Jun 2020 05:20 #181

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GJVGC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Question,

Which voltage regulator are you guys installing on pre 76 bikes so the bulbs won’t blow if anything happens to the battery.

I looked up the 498-81910-60-00 from the Yamaha bulletin and that thing is $175 all over eBay.

Thanks for any help!
26 Jun 2020 11:31 #182

Replied by Yammiedodger on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

Hiya there,

I got one of Rex's, but you might be able to track one of the Italian CIAB ones sold over there by the scooter resellers. Have a look at DEET's post on the testing of three examples. I went for the locally available UK stock and here's a photo of it installed behind the R/H cover of my 175B. Yellow is spliced into the loom going from the engine into the multi-block below the seat. Black is a supplementary ground just to make sure its a good circuit. Tested @ 8.5V with the lights on. All good so far. BTW is this the longest thread on the forum? Makes great reading!
26 Jun 2020 14:37 #183

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• GJVGC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

^ thanks!

I contacted deet to see if he sells the one in the video if not I’ll try to find one of the Rex’s!

Might be one of the longest threads because of me asking so many stupid questions hahaha
Thanks for the help!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Yammiedodger
26 Jun 2020 15:23 #184

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

THERE...ARE...NO...STUPID...QUESTIONS. (Do I sound like I taught school for 28 years? )
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Yammiedodger, GJVGC
26 Jun 2020 15:28 #185

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

You ask good questions, but only after you have tried to resolve it yourself.
You give quick progress updates
You post pictures!!

That's why your thread is so long. Everyone learns, everyone teaches, most do both.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JimA, Yammiedodger, GJVGC
26 Jun 2020 17:02 #186

• GJVGC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks guys!

Looks like I’ll keep the questions going on this thread hahah

Took the bike out again.
Trying to find a set of oem handle bars and relocate the condenser in the next few days
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, darinm
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 06:00 by GJVGC.
27 Jun 2020 05:58 #187

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

On the regulator, DEET has tested and there are only two proven to actually work.

Yamaha single wire OEM which can often be found used for cheap on ebay... and the three-wire scooter regulator DEET recommends. (About $40 new if I remember right).

There are other aftermarket regulators that look like the Yamaha one that have been proven not to provide the same protection as the above. DEET did a video testing several popular regulators for sale...

Keep in mind that the systems were designed without a regulator and work well without one... so you're not going to know if what you bought actually works until you need it and then it's too late. DEET started his regulator testing after finding out some regulators being sold... and not just cheap ones... didn't work. (Rex initially agreed to provide DEET a reg for testing and then never followed through.)

And yes, there are no dumb questions... Just keep in mind that this forum is literally a treasure trove of valuable insight, advice, and experience from people all over the world. And what I've just typed about regulators, plus much more valuable info on the topic, has been probably been said here dozens and dozens of times.

While often the answers get repeated when someone asks a question that's been asked by others and answered dozens of times, you can't expect that to always happen! People get tired of answering the same question 1,324 times.

So go ahead and ask questions... but if you want to learn the most, maximize your chances of saving money, and minimize your chance of making potentially expensive mistakes... you also need to do your research!

And thanks to the members and founders of this forum, this is the BEST place to do both!
:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, GJVGC
27 Jun 2020 08:31 #188

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=274359430641&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by MarkT on topic 1975 DT175 timing questions

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=321925298938&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart