facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT3 Condenser Relocate

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

DT3 Condenser Relocate was created by bhepp15

So the DT3 has been in the garage all summer due to focus on my xs650 and ct3 but I brought it back out today to do the condeser change/relocate that it needs. I was planning on following the basics of this thread  yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/74-76...condenser-relocation . I noticed the DT3 has 4 wires to the condenser and not three as per the dt175 in the post. As I really dont understand condensers I am wondering if I would solder or rewire all 4 of these wires and what the rewire would exactly look like in terms of rewiring back to the points as per MarkT in the reference post. Also I noticed when pulling the points plate out that my Gr/R wire was connected the the Green wire and vise versa. Looking at the wiring diagram both the Gr and Gr/R go to the main switch but I am suprised it still ran with them switched (once again wiring isnt my strong suite lol..). 
01 Aug 2023 19:25 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

What year XS650 do you have I’ve got a 72 I’m going to restore did you restore yours?
01 Aug 2023 20:40 #2

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

I've got a 80 and an 81. Both with various issues but at least they arent chopped! I am planning on getting them cleaned up and rebuild, not fully restoring  right now. I got one for my dad as it was his first motorcycle and another for me because I cant pass up a good deal.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 02 Aug 2023 05:19 by bhepp15.
02 Aug 2023 05:19 #3

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I’m guessing I just could tie all 4 of them together and solder and heat shrink?
02 Aug 2023 15:30 #4

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Been looking at the service manual every other day trying to make a decision on what to do. Don’t feel like messing it up so bumping this thread to the top. 
07 Aug 2023 15:01 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

If we're talking DT3 still, it really doesn't matter where you join them so long as source ends up at points & they both end up up at the coil where you want to mount the condenser. You could if you wanted run separate wires from points & source all the way up the loom, but that's wasting wire. Just whatever is easiest & so long as nothing it shorting to earth on the way there.
That'll kick off the discussion!!.
07 Aug 2023 16:08 #6

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks RT that is what I figured. I know it’s a pretty easy question I just wasn’t sure if since the dt3 has 4 wires and the bike in the post had three if one of them needed to be kept out of the soldering. I was just tentative to trust myself haha. Just need to figure out how I want to keep the wires out of the way now. 
07 Aug 2023 16:39 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

Not sure about 4 wires, i didn't think that one out, but is the 4th the points checking wire--just a branch off the black from the points to up the loom. Just an easy access point to plug a meter or for that matter a kill switch if you were running a 'very' basic system.
07 Aug 2023 19:24 #8

Replied by Yamfan on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

We always used to fit condensers externally on old Spanish trials bikes, but to be honest didn't seem to make any real difference, so probably it's best just to fit new genuine points and condenser, and enjoy riding it?
08 Aug 2023 12:46 #9

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks yam fan. I looked for a genuine condenser way back when I bought the aftermarket one. Ordered one and they guy on eBay said he lost it haha. I didn’t see any other for sale at the time so I’m thinking I’m going to just do the external relocate. Looks like it’s two black wires up the loom, one blue to the points and one to the coil. 
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 17:19 by bhepp15.
21 Aug 2023 17:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart