facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT3 Condenser Relocate

Replied by RT325 on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

Ok, i wrote this on my phone while getting dragged out the door & it wouldnt post--kanuna error wtf. So now i'm realy in the --.
I said with smiley things, Marks vid is of a cdi mag, just saying!! & i've never heard a points mag 8 stroke--ok 4 stroke, maybe if the points are 40 thou wide. I might yet end up with egg on my face & have to eat my hat--but i can take it--i think?.
Just want you to exhaust possibilities as changing the mag is the bigger job thats all.
Anyway--seeing carb is on now simply "pull the side main jet & block it off" so no fuel can get past. Simple & easy & will get an instant result.
5mm short screw threads in, in place of the jet, just tried it on mine.
photos.app.goo.gl/1TtLXdbsch9x3HUD9
photos.app.goo.gl/MpguqiP6QjZHcYrh7
photos.app.goo.gl/CPNnXmgyojq8giTv8

Last edit: 28 Sep 2023 15:15 by RT325.
27 Sep 2023 13:16 #131

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

As i said before I've never personally seen a points mag act up like that either.  One member here did report they had an points stator coil that went bad...  not sure if it was a misfire at high RPM or a failure to rev?  Can't remember.  He said something about suspecting the source coil insulation was breaking down.  Search is acting up but I will try to find it. 

That said, the CDI problem in the video was narrowed to the stator coil, not the the electronics.  Timing was spot on with the strobe.  Pickup coil was changed and CDI boxes were swapped without any difference.    

I agree it's a long shot.  Just out of ideas. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
27 Sep 2023 13:52 #132

Ok i'm back.
Not directly related but talking misfires reminds me slightly of the early mags that had the ign source coil earthed into one lighting coil [DT1's had two lighting coils linked] & if the points were too wide [not very wide] or very dirty it would miss bad with lights on. Have had one lighting coil delaminate & start moving on it's base with similar results even without lights on.
I'm not directly relating it to this problem, but just puting it out there!!.
Someone might have a theory on why they did 'that' [earthing ign source into the lighting coil windings].
By memory years ago it was said [or decided] it was to boost the spark at high revs.
I can't argue either way as i don't know.
Do know though that earthing it separately to the post fixed it but not sure if i created another problem.
Was 'only' 50 years ago.
27 Sep 2023 17:55 #133

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic DT3 Condenser Relocate

Okay, I haven’t stopped trying here I’ve just been busy with work! I put in my rt3 ignition and re timed it, I really need some tips with that as I am very inefficient getting the points adjusted. I basically just guess and check till I get jt right on. But anyway that’s not the point. The RT3 ignition ran exactly the same and my old ignition. Which, I’m not going to lie I was happy that I didn’t mess up the condenser relocate (hence the name of this thread). But also not because I wanted this issue fixed. I didn’t have another coil so I was thinking that could still be my problem. But, once the new ignition was in I decided to go back to carb where I dropped the needle in without the clip per RT325 advice. And it perked up! Below is the video of it running today. Still not perfect but I rode it around the block and it sang alright. So I guess the carb is the problem or at least most of it. Now I need to I guess order a bunch of new mikuni parts. But it’s 40 degrees so riding is about done for the year.   Video  
07 Oct 2023 11:21 #134

Ok, so you rode it with the needle sitting in the jet & not being lifted by the slide. Gotta be getting fuel from somewhere or there is enough gap around the needle to suck it past. Still rich but we're getting there!!. Thanks for the update & good to know its not ignition.
07 Oct 2023 15:27 #135

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Yep, it rode better than it has in a long time. I suppose I’lol order a new needle, jet, o-ring. I think think my bowl is somehow a problem though. MarkT gave me those drill bit sizes to test and I came back with the same results but the size that was supposed to fit snug seems to have more play then when I put it in my RT3 carb bowl hole. So if I can find another bowl I should probably get one of those as well. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
08 Oct 2023 09:19 #136

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Orrrr should I look into a carb swap? I don’t mind the idea of it going to a boot mount vm.  My carb does seem sort of beat especially the bowl. I would need to find a flange mount that could change it to spigot. I’m sure I can find something with some digging just was thinking about it. Any opinions?
09 Oct 2023 18:41 #137

Something like this would be cheap to try. Pick whatever size you want. I'd go 32 as that's what i run on my DT1 [original 360 carb]. Then again std for yours is probably 28 which i see there in the options so don't let me sway you. 32 you'd need to open out the fiber block & manifold mouth.

www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Racing-Univers...s%2C252&sr=8-50&th=1
My mistake [manifold comes with it] so only the mouth of the reed block might need opening out. But a 28 would be ok.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2023 19:32 by RT325.
09 Oct 2023 19:28 #138

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart