facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

Well crap... yer tire looks better than my 2... I pointed them out to my wife... she sez get some new on.. I'll start looking tomorrow..
Sneezles61
09 Apr 2022 17:24 #91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Definitely get new tires if you have the old originals on there. Yesterday after I got the new front tire on, I almost took it out to wind it up to full speed, and something inside me said "don't do it today". That could have been a catastrophic failure. But it felt good to get out there today and wind it up with those new tires and brakes! I just took it for another ride, and it's really running well, though I have a little bit of slippage in the clutch. I've adjusted it properly, and I'm just going to ride it and see if it gets better. I'm using Yamalube 20w-40 in the gearbox, and it's designed for a wet clutch, and the clutch springs measured within spec.

Previously, two-stroke oil was invading the gearbox, so I wonder if that got onto the clutch plates and caused a problem? The oil is staying clean, since I put the new seals in.

Kind of thinking of getting a smaller rear sprocket though. The gearing on these is so low, I usually start off in second.
09 Apr 2022 18:01 #92

I run one larger than stock for the front sprocket on my '72 and it's a good match for the engine, still trail rides quite well and better on the pavement for sure. 
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
09 Apr 2022 20:32 #93

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I appreciate the reply Darinm. I've actually been surfing this site and looking at various old threads, and came to the same conclusion. In fact I've already ordered a PBI 17 tooth front sprocket that should be here by Tuesday (unless it's shipped by FedEx...). I'm hoping it will fit with the 112 link 428 chain I just put on, and from what I've seen, it might. This site really has a wealth of information. What a great forum!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 11:34 by Tom P.
09 Apr 2022 20:48 #94

I did get a smaller rear sprocket for my RT2.. Once I get tires in my hands, I'll start by doing the back wheel first.. I think I can only get to 45MPH @ 5500 RPMS.. I'd like to go 55 MPH.. no need for anything faster..
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
10 Apr 2022 05:40 #95

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I just checked my CT-1, and at 5500 RPM I'm going about 52 mph. I tried winding it up to 6,000 RPM and it started sputtering a little bit. It runs great up to that point, and if I back off for a few seconds then try it again, it seems to run better. My neutral light is beginning not to work correctly as well. I noticed a couple days ago it wasn't on when it should have been, and today it was flickering, and now it's not on. Always something to check out!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 16:31 by Tom P.
10 Apr 2022 16:29 #96

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
After my last post mentioning the electrical problems, it turned out that everything stopped working. I started wiggling wires and found that the neutral light would come on and off, and I finally narrowed it down to the ignition switch. I pulled the switch and the red wire had come completely loose. Was kind of tricky getting it soldered back on, but I have a good connection now and everything is working again.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, darinm, Ht1kid, Dad3sons
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 20:07 by Tom P.
10 Apr 2022 18:47 #97

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

To close out my post to this thread - I took the 1969 CT1 to the local CA DMV field office today to get the VIN verified. No problem - the nice lady from the DVM went out to my pickup truck, and standing outside the truck, she could see the engine number stamped on the top of the case on the left side, but couldn't see the number stamped on the steering neck on the right side. She asked ME if she could jump into the truck to get a good look! I said "sure" and she hopped right up. Ten minutes later I was walking out of the DMV with a plate, stickers and a new registration document, and the new title document will come in the mail in 1-2 weeks. The total time spent at DMV was less than 35 minutes.

I"m not sure why that went so well - but now it's legally mine!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
13 Apr 2022 21:35 #98

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Congratulations Dad3sons!

I love hearing success stories from the DMV

Enjoy your bike and be safe.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dad3sons
13 Apr 2022 22:05 #99

You may want to apply for a title only. Then get it in your name first, then go for the registration. What I found in California after so many years it goes out of the system. I had to deal with that on a IT 500. I got a title only. I had to go the CHP for a vin inspection, fairly straight forward. Getting a title only you bypass the insurance, and MC license.  From what I learned about Ca. is it is fairly easy to title a vehicle, that hasn't been registurated   in years.. Stan.
15 Apr 2022 20:53 #100

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart