facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by Jim in SCal on topic And just who do you think you are?

My name in Jim, and I live in So. Calif. I loved two-strokes when I was in my 20s and 30s. Four Yamahas and a Suzuki GT 380 triple. Now I am retired, and just bought a restored 1972 Yamaha DT2 250. It has an issue I am hoping someone on this forum can help me with. I posted that as "New member, new bike, please help" on other topics. (I am hoping that is the way it's done.) Thank you!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
06 Nov 2019 18:45 #771

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! from the other side of the "pond".
07 Nov 2019 00:00 #772

Replied by KWI on topic And just who do you think you are?

Good eve. First bike was a PW50. Own a 31K RD350LC YPVS in europe, an retired 95 DT200R, a first and 2nd series 525, an orange 1N4 here, and was recently gifted/cursed with a hybrid that may well get re-hybridised.

Someone cut and shut an RT1 motor and lower frame rails into a 1978 2X8 chassis. The RT1 has fired and run but the clutch has been compromised by monkeys, the countershafts right hand bearing has siezed and then lunched the spigot, and the pump was once upon a time removed and the piddly plug installed fell out which let (water) the bottom end wind up full of yoghurt. Its not all,doom and gloom but neither is it green meadows and fairy floss.

Have bunged a dormant hand me down 434 power unit in instead, and currently sorting the shift mechanism on that because nothing is ever gonna be simple, but at least its keeping my lunch hours amusing at work.

Will try and find whatever info as necessary by search to keep duplicate posts to a minimum.
09 Nov 2019 17:34 #773

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! From the UK.

Sounds like you've got a job and a half on there!

If your RT1 engine has the reed valve, then it will actually be from a RT2 or RT3 (see VIN tables in the Tech Library on the forum for specifics). All of those 360 engined bikes up to and including 1973 had VIN and engine prefix RT1. Sincere apologies if you knew this already!!
09 Nov 2019 23:32 #774

Replied by hbbdiesel on topic And just who do you think you are?

my name is Janis from Quebec city Canada, love Yamaha, my current ride is super Tenere also have a wr250f for trail riding. Just pick up 2 Dt 250 1972 from a family member.one is the one my dad was using back in the 70 the other one is my Uncle .two identical Dt whit 2 different story to tell.my dad bike was slide down at 20k miles and got parked outside under a tarp,my uncle bike is 5kmile and was parked inside in a barn both bike engine are turning whit the crank. the one I'm working on is the store one witch sustain less damage .bike dont run was left whit the petcock open and all the gaz end up in the engine.im on the early stage of the project and it not going to be a beauty queen....I really like the way it look right now. This forum is a very well documented and it a must read if you are doing any serious work on these old bike. Thank you for accepting me on this group. And yes I will need a new tank....
11 Nov 2019 14:09 #775

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! to the site. I think I saw your post with this bike on Facebook?
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
11 Nov 2019 14:22 #776

Replied by hbbdiesel on topic And just who do you think you are?

Yes That me!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
11 Nov 2019 15:10 #777

Replied by KWI on topic And just who do you think you are?

72 model, using a bastardised 360 front pipe, a lump of mild steel exhaust tubing, and the bulk of the IT400’s expansion chamber with an even scarier home made muffler adjoined via threaded water pipe unions. Compression release has been wired off and might see if i can resurrect it somewhat. Goin to pluck the cylinder off tomorrow and start splitting the cases as to get at the trans and see if the shaft can be salvaged or not, though i note theres a few out there for sale i needs must. Hoping its all worth the efforts in the end.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
13 Nov 2019 06:05 #778

Replied by Fewmarshall on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey, my first bike was a 1976 Yamaha gt80 I got as a gift when I was around 10. That bike is long gone but I just recently got this for $50!
It has quite a few things that need fixing and I plan to keep updated here! I'm not sure of the year of this bike, and was unable to find out by the VIN so far
15 Nov 2019 14:22 #779

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Fewmarshall on topic And just who do you think you are?

Just found out the year, it is a 1979 gt80F :)
It is missing the gas tank in the picture I posted because the tank is rusted paper thin with a hole in it, I hope to find a new one! I'm gonna post new pictures tomorrow
15 Nov 2019 14:54 #780

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart