facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Replied by RT325 on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Nerobro, i can see the mag & loom parts sold on Treademe NZ but doesn't show the winner. Sounds like you bought it though so i sure hope it all bolts on as i think it should with that early design motor. If not, i'll keep my head down till the dust clears.
11 Nov 2023 15:02 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

RT325, From the pictures I found on the Internet it looks like the AG100 held onto the clutch actuator in the side cover design. That original engine design had a 130mm diameter stator like the LT2 so I'd say chances are very good it will bolt right on. Great recommendation and find!

(parts and shipping still cost a lot compared to the value of most complete LT2's in the US though... )
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Ht1kid
11 Nov 2023 15:28 #22

I guess freight likely cost more than the total of parts.
I see our dollar is only 59c US today.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Nerobro
11 Nov 2023 17:33 #23

• Nerobro
  • Nerobro's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Nerobro on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Sure did.  About twice as much.  

Look, if you're wrong, that's on me.  WORST CASE, I have a working ignition system, and I need to break out the machine tools.  Best case?  We have a working formula.  

My LT2 cost... uh.. $950? like 20 years ago.  hah.
11 Nov 2023 21:18 #24

• Nerobro
  • Nerobro's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Nerobro on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

TinKicker, We read completely different things there.  I read: "why would you want electronic igniton? the stock ignition is really reliable".  Clearly, it's not as reliable as I'd like, or I wouldn't be asking.  Their response seemed... at best silly.  

Now, I know HT1 a little better, it really was a "i'm not typing a whole lot so they will need to assume the best".  Turns out.. he's a fine person and I missed what they were getting at.  @ht1 i'm sorry I assumed the wrong approach.    

Since we are there again.  What is your idea of "reliable enough"?  Ignition wise.  How many hours of operation do you get?  Miles, months, years, do you get to go between touching the timing on your bike?  

To draw a parallel, there are people who HATE indexed shifting on a bicycle.  They can never get it running right.  Usually it's some combination of using mismatched components, never letting the system setttle, or abuse of the system.  When someone complains about their shifting, I start with what sort of performance I expect, and then ask a few questions.  Thankfully, most of those questions aren't relevant here.  "How often do you need to touch the points?"  In my case? at least once a year.  

Of course, I didn't come here going "hey, my points won't let me go 10 years between adjustments".  :-)  That is however, my goal here.  My GS650 hasn't needed it's ignition system attended to since 1982.  My GS550ES, since 1983.  My GS550E, needed a new ignitor in 2005, so I keep that in stock.  I want a bike I can just drag out of the corner of the garage, open the fuel tap, and hand off to the kids.  This year the bike has been down, between some combination of getting a crank puller, and the time to put into rebuilding the ignition... Well.. I'd just like to never do that again.  An electronic ignition will put us at the "nothing takes more than 20 minutes" level of troubleshooting.  At least until the oil injection pump gives up the ghost.  

The LT2 is in a wonderful little space that has very few bikes in it anymore.  It's worth keeping going.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 11 Nov 2023 21:46 by Nerobro.
11 Nov 2023 21:45 #25

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Nerobro No Worries we are good Cheers 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I use Yamaha or Daikhi points and set the timing with a dial indicator. I usually check the timing again after 1,000 miles or so then I’m done we probably put 4,000 miles since I last checked also have you changed your brake shoes they can and will delaminate over time I’ve had it happen to me I wouldn’t want it to happen with your kids riding your bike. Keep us informed with your progress on your electronic ignition. 
Last edit: 12 Nov 2023 08:59 by Ht1kid.
12 Nov 2023 08:44 #26

Replied by MarkT on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Nerobro wrote: TinKicker, We read completely different things there.  I read: "why would you want electronic igniton? the stock ignition is really reliable".  Clearly, it's not as reliable as I'd like, or I wouldn't be asking.  Their response seemed... at best silly.  ....................

Nerobro, I read the same thing you did.  But I didn't assume HT1kid was trying to challenge or criticize your decision.  I found his response a legitimate intelligent question driven by a genuine attempt to help.  That's how this forum operates.

I found HT1kid's initial attempt to help even more justified after your reaction to his question which contains several "silly" statements such as "getting the dwell right".   Things that would only be said by someone who has little experience with or knowledge of the Yamaha ET points magneto (or is just trying to "sell" a point of view with BS).  But then it became obvious that your mind is made up and you have zero interest in keeping the stock system.  

(And, again, it's okay that you don't like or want points for whatever reason.... )

Many of us find the original Yamaha ET points magneto system very reliable, low maintenance, and cheap.  Especially for a little play bike that has less than 10 HP and is likely rarely used.  Many have been down the road of electronic ignitions for these bikes... which tends to be expensive for very little real benefit..  unless maybe the original system is missing or damaged beyond repair, then the choice to go electronic makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, you have a different opinion of and experience with points and that's okay.  Even if you just wanted to have electronic ignition to see if you could do it it would be okay. (Ironically when I mentioned HPI you said they were "shockingly expensive"...  and now you've spent that much money or more on something "unproven"..  Which is all okay!)  I'm just pointing out that someone asking "why not points" is probably not attacking you or your decision but genuinely trying to be helpful and use their experience and knowledge to save you time and money.

P.S.  I'd be rich if I had all the money back I spent on projects I wanted to do that really made no logical sense... Like my "Super DT50"...  my vision of a fun modern two stroke Yamaha Enduro if such a thing was possible today.. Came out really nice but it's not at all practical and I'd probably never be able to sell it for even half what I spent on it...  sure was fun to build though...  used mostly new parts from the YZ85 to build my street legal version of what Yamaha might have done.  Even more fun to ride.  Has the power of a vintage 360 in a very light chassis with great suspension.

DT50 before:

After:

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Schu, Ht1kid, Tinkicker
12 Nov 2023 12:09 #27

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Wow MarkT that really is a SUPER DT50. Excellent job and thought into making it one of a kind. Great workmanship 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
12 Nov 2023 15:08 #28

Yes i cant take eyes of that DT50, wow.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
12 Nov 2023 15:12 #29

• Tinkicker
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Electronic Ignition options for a LT2

Oh my, that is a fun bike.  TTR meets 2stroke enduro on upside down forks and excel wheels.  That is the kind of madness I love.
Well it was until I got old and staid, kneeling at the altar of originality.

Lovely.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 12 Nov 2023 16:49 by Tinkicker.
12 Nov 2023 16:47 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart