facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT3 carburetor reassembly

• RT3Mike
  • RT3Mike's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by RT3Mike on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Thanks RT325.  Based on what you are saying, I have it correct this time.  I still dont understand how the needle jet moves up and down if its at the very bottom of the bowl but as long as its correct, I'm good.. thanks for the follow up. I am working on cleaning the sealer out of the tank, then the rust out of the tank, then off to paint of the tank, oil reservior, headlight bowl and ears. Hoping for first or second kick start.  I'll post pics when I have it all back together. 
08 Feb 2021 16:24 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

You may have been posting when I was posting and missed my post...  I'm concerned when you said this:

RT3Mike" post=122361...............  The cable is only connected to the locking washer,  ........................

The cable must be connected to the SLIDE.  The needle (which I think you keep calling the "needle jet") is held in place by the cable retaining washer and moves up and down in concert with the slide. 

I don't know the exact way your cable attaches to the slide so if you post pictures it would help.

This is what the assembly should look like:

Here is the slide viewed from the bottom...  cable goes in through hole 1 from top, slide over to position 2 and can't be pulled back through.  (Some slides are different, this is a common type.)

From the top, slide needle installed and cable locked into slide.  (Retaining washer and spring not installed for clarity.)

How it should look with retaining washer and spring in place.

There are a couple of different types of retaining washers....  have to see yours if you have questions.

Anyway, what you need to do to assemble is compress the spring into cap and hold it (and sometimes the washer, depending on type) and then fiddle the cable down through hole 1, move it across the slot so it locks into 2 (see above picture).  Then drop retaining washer into place...  and then finally release spring down against retaining washer.  Pic below shows how you hold the spring/cap/washer while trying to fiddle the cable into the slide.

If I misunderstood what you were saying and this is how you assembled...  "Never mind". 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, Swoop56, Snglsmkr, Pedalcrazy
08 Feb 2021 17:17 #12

This message has attachments images.

Replied by RT325 on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Wish i was as organized as MarkT haha. All good. But what i see you asking is how the needle jet moves--it doesn't--it's fixed to the carb body by the jet setter screwed into the bottom of it. The fuel is metered by the slide pulling the "tapered" needle up through it & as the taper increases down the needle, more fuel is sucked past corresponding to revs & engine load. Something along those lines anyway. Till later!!.
08 Feb 2021 17:25 #13

Replied by Lindsay G on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Hi evryone, I thought I would put my question here so as much information on RT3 carbs is in one thread.
I have stripped my carb completely and when it comes to reasembling I cant remember which way the brass  tube faces. I'm thinking it should be with the cutaway portion facing the choke lever.
10 May 2021 06:56 #14

This message has attachments images.

On another note I would have thought the O ring was OK just by looking at it but after reading all of the comments on here about how critical it was I tried it by placing it in its recess and turning the bowl upside down. It fell straight out so obviously not OK. New ones on the way from Partzilla. I'm getting some extras in case they dont last in modern petrol .
Also the air screw jet was mising from mine but I found one from a 1973 AG100 ( farm bike in NZ and Australia) fitted.However seeing I was buying the O Rings I also ordered an air screw as well just in case the taper is a bit off on the AG100 one.
10 May 2021 07:11 #15

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Just had a look at the used carb I bought a while back for my RT2, but which I haven't fitted yet, and the cut away portion faces the cylinder.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Lindsay G
10 May 2021 07:58 #16

Thanks Al, good to chat again.
10 May 2021 08:04 #17

• RT3Mike
  • RT3Mike's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by RT3Mike on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

MarkT - Thanks for the pics.  I have been absent from the site for a while.  All of the paintable parts were in the paint shop and it took quite some time for them to come back. It was worth it as they are beautiful.  I'll post some pics when I get caught up around here.  I'll be putting the bike back together over the next few weeks and will test my carburetor rebuilt at that time.  Based on your photos, I think I have it correct. 
10 May 2021 08:27 #18

Replied by Swoop56 on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Lindsay . the needle jet can only go in completely one way .
There is a brass pin at the bottom of the recess , which locates
the needle jet slot . This prevents it turning .
Allan has already confirmed the orientation anyway , but make
sure the pin is in place , and pushed through sufficiently to locate the
needle jet .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Pedalcrazy, Lindsay G
10 May 2021 14:05 #19

Thanks Swoop, I see that now.
12 May 2021 02:09 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart