facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT3 carburetor reassembly

• RT3Mike
  • RT3Mike's Avatar Topic Author

RT3 carburetor reassembly was created by RT3Mike

The map cannot be displayed, you haven't specified a location yet.
Hello everybody - I am new to the forum. I have been looking for a 73 RT3 for a couple of years now and was just able to get my hands on one. Super nice bike that has been sitting and it shows, but in a good way. Overall the bike is pretty well preserved - has a couple of issues with plastic parts, carburetor, etc.. I took the carburetor apart and cannot remember if the needle jet goes below the throttle cable washer that locks in place or if it sits on top of it. Any help would be great.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
28 Jan 2021 16:11 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Swoop56 on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

The washer does double duty . It goes over the needle and clip fixing that firmly
into position , and secondly retains the throttle cable .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
28 Jan 2021 16:18 #2

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

The map cannot be displayed, you haven't specified a location yet.

Hey Mike...hope that's the hardest thing you come across while getting her running again :)

Swoop has your answer.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
Last edit: 28 Jan 2021 16:47 by Pedalcrazy.
28 Jan 2021 16:46 #3

Replied by RT3Sam on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

RT3 Mike, I'm RT3Sam..... This is great place for information. These guys have helped me out allot. Enjoy your RT3 and getting it up and running!
29 Jan 2021 09:54 #4

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Drop the needle into the slide complete with clip on whatever notch you desire--'middle' for a start. Then drop the locking plate in bit sit it to one side of locking. Then spring onto the cable & pull it back with your thumb. Then fit it down into the slide hole & pull back into the nipple hole recess. Then manipulate 'shake' the locking plate into the slot. Pretty much how i do it. Frustrating at times lol.
29 Jan 2021 11:24 #5

• RT3Mike

Replied by RT3Mike on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

Thanks everybody - RT325 advise is similar to what I did so I may just have it right. We'll find out when i get it back from paint and fired up. I appreciate all the good wishes.
30 Jan 2021 01:12 #6

• RT3Mike

Replied by RT3Mike on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

RT325- I opended up the carburetor again to ensure I followed your instructions completely. The way I currently have it set up is the needle jet and "c" clip rest in the very bottom.  The locking washer thing is on top of the needle jet with the top tip of the needle jet poking through the center of the locking washer, then the cable and spring, etc.. My question is: If I put the needle jet in first and then put the brass locking washer over it, how does the needle jet move up and down?  The cable is only connected to the locking washer, Originally I had the needle jet going through the locking washer - C clip sitting on top of the locking washer which allows the needle jet to move up and down.  I change it following your instructions and just need to confirm I have it right.  Mike
08 Feb 2021 07:44 #7

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ok, Cclip fits in a recess down in the slide & plate holds it down--not tight but with a bit of wriggle room so its not rigid & floats in the needle jet down below that the slide pulls it up & down in. I say floats but is only running clearance but as it's tapered it gets looser as you lift the slide opening the throttle. Can sometimes be difficult to get the needle entering the jet down the middle but you'll know when its in & no pressure required. Also has a guide pin for the slide to get it pointing so the cutaway of the slide is looking back at the aircleaner not towards the motor. Best to have the bike vertical as even having it on the sidestand can be enough for the needle to miss the jet but you'kk know because with the needle striking beside the jet you'll feel pressure because then the needle is doing its best to lift the plate against the spring as you put the slide further in. Bit of a juggle--or can go right first try.
Having internet issues here but will keep up when its operating.
08 Feb 2021 16:04 #8

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

08 Feb 2021 16:06 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic RT3 carburetor reassembly

The cable must attach to the large round slide.  The whole slide moves up and down, not just the retaining washer and the needle. 

If you post a picture of the slide, needle, and retaining washer so I can see what type you have, I can explain it better.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
08 Feb 2021 16:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart