facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

• nersasian
  • nersasian's Avatar Topic Author

Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1 was created by nersasian

Bought this about a year ago from the original owner. It ran at the time, but everything was original (including the tires) and was unsafe. I started, not a restoration, but a clean up and replacing of cables, battery, tubes & tires, etc. I wanted to leave the original paint and just start riding it! Well, I'm finally getting it back together and I wasn't getting a consistant spark at the plug. I changed the coil and points only and it's the same. I just ordered a new condenser, but it looks like some of the coils might be damaged. Question, does anyone make a direct replacement for the whole backing plate with new coils, points, condenser and everything that I can just swap it out? If not, can I just get the coils somewhere?
Thanks,
Steve    
01 Apr 2023 10:21 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mwlockwood on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

I don't think anybody makes that, but one better, they make electronic ignition kits!

I just did it on my RT1 and it has been a pleasure.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nersasian
01 Apr 2023 13:39 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

Looking at the flywheel yours has the advancer so retards for starting, which is good. A modern electronic system will do that too so others will advise on Vape & forgotten the other or others. Not done it myself. But your stator looks pretty unmolested--or is there damage to the lighting coil on the left of the pic, as i think the ignition source [top right] earths into the lighting coil for some trick yamaha reason. So if that lighting is damaged or loose in the windings it [might] upset it. I guess a lot from years of mistakes haha, so others may know more. Could you spin it with a drill & video the erratic spark. Be good to see but not that easy to do i know. Love the old RT1's.

If i'm right & having another look, it's likely it earths into the right hand lighting, but both lighting are linked so if left one is damaged i guess it could cause issues by association. As i say--bit of a guess.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 13:54 by RT325.
01 Apr 2023 13:47 #3

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

Like RT325 mentioned i don't see much damage to your source coil? Pictures are not real clear or close enough to get a good look at them. If you decide you want to change them out or replace them i have a complete original stator and flywheel but it would be a non advancer set up. Which came on the later bikes. You could use just the coils from it if so desired. You could get your coils or complete stator reconditioned too. Sometimes you can find NOS or good used coils on e-bay too. 

1970 DT250C
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 14:17 by SKYDANCER46.
01 Apr 2023 14:06 #4

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

From what I see check your points wire it looks awful close to your bent timing tab if it touches it will ground it out also DEET I think can rebuild your stator 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nersasian
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 14:59 by Ht1kid.
01 Apr 2023 14:56 #5

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

The condenser would be my bet.
HT1 kid is right, forum member DEET does refurbish them.
Best way to contact him is email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
02 Apr 2023 01:04 #6

Replied by alnarv on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

Before you do anything else, clean your points carefully. As has been covered many times here before, 9 times out of 10 dirty points are the cause of spark problems on the older magneto systems, even with new points. (They can be coated with an anti-corrosion/lube that can prevent complete contact.) Use a spray contact cleaner then draw a clean business card between the closed contacts until it comes out clean. If that doesn't work you can move on to the more extensive repairs.
alnarv
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, nersasian, Sneezles61, goatboy56
02 Apr 2023 10:26 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

I mentioned the lighting coil because the one on the left looks like its been caught by something & a few windings damage if you look closely at the pic. I only say that because there's a relationship to the ign source coil through earthing somehow.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2023 15:22 by RT325.
02 Apr 2023 15:18 #8

• nersasian

Replied by nersasian on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

Who did you get your new electronic ignition kit from? Does the lighting and everything else work the same? Is it still a 6 volt system or do they switch to 12 volt? Lots of questions, sorry. I also have a '69 DT1 that I will be rebuilding after this and I will probably need to go with a newer system on that as well, thanks.

Steve
03 Apr 2023 18:35 #9

• nersasian

Replied by nersasian on topic Lack of, or weak spark from my 1970 RT1

I looked further at the lighting coil (the one on the left under the condenser). It does have what apears to be a nick on the outer edge towards the top. The nick doesn't go through any of the wires and they are not loose at all. Although I did just connect a new battery and I have power to my rear light & brake switch. The front light is not working (of course I haven't had it running yet to see if it comes on when running). I did put a new left side hi/low light switch and the horn is working, but not getting power to the light. Do you think that would have anything to do with this lighting coil? This bike only has 3600 miles and I bought it from the original owner, but it's not a $20k show bike. I wanted to keep it as original as I could, but I did replace the tires, cables, rubber pieces to be safe. Going with a new ignition system doesn't sound like a bad idea. I want to go out and ride this thing and I'd like to not have to worry about it braking down. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on that.
Thanks,
Steve
03 Apr 2023 18:47 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart