facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Holy Grail 68' DT1

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Can someone help me out here with spark. I bought an Emgo coil, pic below that I was told would work on my DT1 The motor is in the bike with no other wiring hooked up, just what's also pictured below. I was told to take the thin black that comes out the case to coil and when I do, no spark. That bare wire will arc to metal when kicking but nothing when ran to post on coil or behind mounting bolt. Am I using the wrong wire and should be using one on stator harness or the other black pigtail??
21 Sep 2020 15:27 #31

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

If that's a black i can see in the loom it'd be that one to use. But be nice to know where the other originates from if it's putting out voltage. Could be from the same source & if so then either will work. So when you know 'that' then see if the points are registering open & closed which is a very minute but definite change in needle on an analogue ohms meter set at the lowest resistance. Just eyeball the points opening spot & move the flywheel back & forth the very small amount to go from just opening to just closed. If no change the give points a scratch & try again. Coil looks good, but even a bad one looks good. In saying that i've never had a bad new one although looks like the say it does a wide range of types of ignition cdi etc, but i've used a cdi plug coil with no problem on my old rat bike DT-RT things. How does your new one test for ohms on the input side & plug lead side.
21 Sep 2020 20:48 #32

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

In the above pic far left wire that's cut is black, middle pigtail is also black and then of course the one in the stator loom that is black. Which should I be working with? Also, that goes up to post on coil or to a mounting bolt? Good question on ohm reading as my tester crapped out tonight when trying to answer that ? for myself. Will be back at it tomorrow. If I could get the bike to at least run I'd gain some momentum on it but it's in danger of getting pushed aside right now.
21 Sep 2020 22:11 #33

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

We have spark! Coil tested proper, cut clean tips on wires and did proper bullet connectors, filed and cleaned points, made sure they were opening and closing. Haven't got to timing ye. She didn't start though not even on starter fluid, pulled carb and it's real bad but could come back to life. Idle get is stripped, floats looked good along with needle/seat, slide and main was crispy but got it cleared. Still didn't get anything but a few pops. Also have no air filter on but it's progress! I ended up using the black wire on harness not the little black 'convenience' wire.
23 Sep 2020 21:39 #34

Replied by RT325 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Ok, was gonna say go to the top of the class but not quite there yet. There's a very slight possibility that the condenser is faulty or not connected. Spark should be fairly concentrated, not a 'flash' as such. First i'd be checking the crank key that locates the flywheel in the right place for timing. If not tight enough they eat keys for breakfast. It would need to have happened while it was running & must read back as not sure if you bought it in a non running state in which case could've happened previously. Engine start should get some action but not if the flywheel key is toast. you could get a backfire & blow the exhaust off the cylinder or push the mag side crank seal out, but that's extreme case.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
23 Sep 2020 22:10 #35

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Damn RT325 I really wanted to be top of the class! But I also wanna keep my wife and had to get home. Time for some more detailed work, namely flywheel off. I think I have the puller and I'm curious about the key too. Bike was very non running when I got it, 70 bottom end on 68 top end. I know the PO mounted the stator cuz the bolts are allens but who knows how skilled he was. Not enough to know the importance of a 68 DT1 obviously. ;) Back at her tomorrow! Excited.
23 Sep 2020 22:54 #36

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=264830209769&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by MarkT on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Did you ever check your VIN against the documents in the Tech Library manuals?

At about #13000 the tank mount changed. Your frame may have never had the early mount?

Also, head should be a single plug in 68... yours looks like dual so might not be a 68 top end? :S
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, yamahahaha
24 Sep 2020 12:43 #38

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Alright so here's the run-down...vin on motor on the bike is DT1-57739, 1970 DT1. The frame vin is DT1-06641, 68...which matches the vin on the spare bottom end I have. So, I've got a 68' DT1 with a 70' motor in it and 3 tanks. The yellow one is a mystery to me as it has the 68 mounts but shows not a shred of white even sanding down to bare metal.
As for where I'm at with the bike... flywheel is off, woodruff key is sheared. Off to eBay for NOS...
24 Sep 2020 22:27 #39

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by type one on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Great feeling finding and then owning a ‘68 ....
Get it together.... even if you have to pay a professional for some of it when funds allow ....
All the best
T1
DT1's mainly -
x4 1968 US (survivor, shiny resto, MX frame mods & early project)
1968 AUS
1969 Early B front yard ripper
1969 B scabby track bike
1969 B MX project
73 CT3 project
'77 z750 hard tail chop ......
BMW GSA 2018
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
25 Sep 2020 14:14 #40

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart