facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Holy Grail 68' DT1

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Holy Grail 68' DT1 was created by Bbd83

Buckle up for a long story ya'll...I fell hard for 70s Yamahas partly due to this forum. I got one of my dream bikes, a 76' DT400 and after an epic battle of the bike attempting to break my ankle, bad pulsar coil, swapping to points, I LOVE that bike. After more research I fell hard for the 68' DT1 for obvious reasons. Recently I saw a bike posted, listed as a 68' DT1, freaked out, but was also leary as it was a basket case and sure didn't look like a 68' DT1. I went to look at it, checked the frame vin and sure shit, 68 DT1. Checked the engine...70 DT 1. The tank looked like maybe a 72 DT2mx. Then the guy pulled out a huge box of parts, including the bottom half of the motor that matches the frame vin. Turns out him and his son took an intact 70 bottom end and put the 68 top end on it because that one was complete and ready to bolt up. Parts bin had a slew of stuff, 2 other tanks, one of which he said was the original tank, the yellow one which i knew 68s were pearl white period as far as I knew. I bought everything, cheap, and brought it home. Now I'm curious what the members have to say in general and on recommendations on how to move forward. The bike as it sits has a free engine but the coil looks funky and wiring is torn apart. I'd like to start with just plain making it run and then decide which direction to go with the bike. The other engine spins free also. Here's a bunch of pics. Can't wait to hear from ya'll.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., JayB
09 Sep 2020 21:36 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

09 Sep 2020 21:38 #2

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Great find!

My own default position is, wherever possible, go back to how the bike will have looked in the first few years of it's life. I don't mean a nut and bolt restoration, just decent condition used parts on a bike that you aren't afraid to use and get a little dirty every now and then.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, JayB, Bbd83, Commando
09 Sep 2020 23:44 #3

Replied by KJB on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

You have better than a great start to building a bike that will be almost correct without going overboard and can be "upgraded " to super original parts if and when they become available along the way. Keep it in the spirit of the era . Gold and black tank seems a bit different for a US bike - Australia ,Japan seem to be the countries that got that scheme generally. Maybe it is possible it is an early "S" - stamping is on LHS of crank case just under exhaust - easy to miss. Cross over from late '68 to early '69 is a little blurry I found.
Great find with good times ahead - Congrats...….
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, Bbd83
10 Sep 2020 03:32 #4

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I've really mulled over what direction I wanna take the bike and I pretty much agree that I wanna keep it close to original, I mean the whole point of being excited to have a first year DT1 is to do exactly that, have a first year DT1 and have the bike look like it. I need to further inspect things and see if that yellow tank can be brought back to life cuz I think the most important feature to me once it's all said and done is the pearl white tank, reflecting what the bike actually is. I like that I can make it numbers matching but for now just wanna get the bike to run. If you refer to the previous pics you can see what I'm working with as far as coil and stator wiring. I've learned a ton in the past 6 mo. but I'm by no means an expert so am I right in thinking if I take black from stator to black coil wire I should get spark? I also have a 74' DT1 parts bike that is fairly complete to rob parts from. The coil on the 68' is buggered up but may create spark as it did ohm primary at like 2.6. Boot is pretty bad inside and had a resistor plug in it so I'll check spec on that also. Once the bike is running I'll gain some momentum on it and focus on it just being functional. Still super excited to have a piece of Yamaha history and am anxious to get more help from the forum on bringing it back to life. It's been dormant for 15 years, but at least inside a shop!
10 Sep 2020 09:30 #5

Replied by BajaBronco on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Super find. I'd get it back together with the matching motor in it completely. And put out feelers for the 68 specific stuff you are missing and keep it a rider til you have all the correct pieces and then decide on a restoration or at least a cosmetic resto to tanks, fenders, gauges. Neat!

Sidenote - I just found one of my favorite bikes, 70 RT1M in same situation kind of, cheap and in semi disguise under identical silver 73 MX tank. haha.
Andrew
70 RT-1M
71 DT-1E 11/70
71 DT-1E 12/70
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
10 Sep 2020 10:40 #6

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

That's awesome haha, maybe that mx tank is known for disguising awesome finds. Working on trying to get spark now. May have to source a new coil, pic shows what I'm working with.
10 Sep 2020 11:05 #7

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Coil/stator wiring
10 Sep 2020 11:07 #8

Replied by mdscott on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

My opinion is certain motorcycles, depending on year, make and model warrant a good restoration. 68 DT-1 is one of them.
Others include, Sand-cast '69 CB750, anything owned by Steve McQueen or Malcolm Smith. And Carroll Shelby if you want to talk cars.
All though listening to me may be a bad idea, Ive restored and owned 3 of the top ten worst dirt bikes, one I bought twice. DOH............

Bbd83, I say take your time and getter dun.

:Buds
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
10 Sep 2020 13:21 #9

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Haha touche' mdscott, seems appropriate to start with spark. :)
10 Sep 2020 13:27 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart