facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Holy Grail 68' DT1

• Bbd83
  • Bbd83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Bbd83 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Man, all this feedback is super encouraging and is just making me more excited about the bike. Can't believe I found it 10 minutes away. I do have the factory tool box, in fact I'm gonna go through the parts again just to make sure I didn't miss anything because for instance that tank mounting bracket, I didn't even know what it was at first and now I'm seeing them on eBay for 400-600 dollars. Insane.

I will upload some more detailed pics later today of the tank and get some feedback on the best way to get it restored. Will continue to update the thread even if it's a slow process. I believe I have coils to try off my CT1 and 74 DT1 also and hope to get some spark in her.
11 Sep 2020 08:13 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

A couple of years ago a seller had two or three NOS tank brackets on ebay listed only by part number for something like $10 each including shipping...

From the other auctions they had it looked like a "business liquidator"... They weren't putting stupid prices on things... I think they had an old Yamaha price list they were using and discounting from that.

I bought a couple of cases or Torco MTL gear oil from them super cheap.

So keep your eyes open... parts do show up from time to time and maybe a member here might have something if you post a list of what you need.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bbd83
11 Sep 2020 10:50 #22

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Here's some crappy pics of the tank I'm working with. Curious of feedback. Haven't got spark in her yet cuz my donor coils from parts CT1 and 74 DT1 were in pretty bad shape. I do get spark from black trigger wire to case so it'll happen. Was able to scavenge some essential bits from parts bikes though which was great.
11 Sep 2020 23:02 #23

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

...what's up with the area where the tank badge would go, almost looks like it has a flat plate covering it and I haven't found a shred of white on it anywhere.
11 Sep 2020 23:05 #24

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Lizeec on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

I could be wrong, but the mounting bosses on the bottom of that tank appear to have been added and brazed or welded on at some later point in time, due to the discoloration around the mounting bosses?

On the badge part I have seen some where someone used bondo to fill in that area for painting. A lot of strange repairs/mods get done to these bikes over the various years and multiple owners.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56
12 Sep 2020 08:44 #25

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Ya I hear ya, I'm basically just trying to see if this one is refurb-able or if I should just hunt a replacement. I think a 68 tank is unheard of with that mounting style. There is one on eBay right now, white with some bondo but with traditional mounting and pricey. I have an AT1 tank but that won't do for the end goal, smaller volume/not correct and if I'm just running a tank to make do I'd probably just use the mx tank or something. I will put a want ad in classifieds and post to a FB vintage mx forum for parts but I wanna make a solid list first. Any leads on a decent replacement coil with plug wire/boot available?

Also moving forward I'll need some advice on how to handle clean-up, tear down and rebuilt of the 68 bottom end but I will do some research before I ask to be spoon-fed info, I know how annoying that can be forum contributors.
12 Sep 2020 12:46 #26

Replied by KJB on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

Would it be possible to machine up a pair of "copies" of the '68 mount posts and silver solder them to the existing mounting pressings in a '69 or '70 tank (similar to what has been done to your tank ) but using a much easier to obtain and better condition tank ? The cross bracket could possibly be accurately copied as well with a little bit of time and patience. In both cases you would need an original or at least some good drawings/photos to work from. I am sure there are some enthusiasts here that could help .
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

13 Sep 2020 02:21 #27

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Holy Grail 68' DT1

I agree, restoring a 1968 DT1 is difficult due to chasing a lot of 1 year only parts and potentially expensive. it takes money and patience.

However it is better to start with a matching number Engine and Frame. This will make a very fine rider though.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 03:25 by Bigdog302.
13 Sep 2020 03:22 #28

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I've definitely got some options for the tank and bike in general, but, at the end of the day the vin will still say 68' DT1 and that means alot to me. It will take time and money, yes, but only as much as I decide to put into it. I just plain will maybe never have the money to completely restore it. An old timer enduro guy I know had a cool idea to pass on one of his Vantech tanks, paint it pearl white, put the proper badges on it. Even something like that would be cool to me, as would a refurb on the tank I have or a later DT1 tank. Time will tell but tell me if I'm doing something wrong trying to get spark... I've tried 3 coils but I also can tell you they were terrible spares I had laying around. Right now I've touched the thin black wire coming from case to metal when kicking and it'll arc. That should connect to single wire from coil correct? I'm ignoring the harness coming out the stator and the one black that pigtails off it. I need to get a proper coil if there are any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
13 Sep 2020 21:53 #29

• Bbd83
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Still contemplating but I'm thinking about passing everything I have on to someone who wants to restore it, properly. I just don't have the money or skillset to do it at the level it deserves so I may put it in classifieds. Leary of eBay due to part-out potential. If not I'll just keep plugging away on it slowly until it's road worthy and coming together in due time. Just throwing the thought out there...
15 Sep 2020 21:41 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart