facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

AT3 black paint finishes

Replied by Tinkicker on topic AT3 black paint finishes

Chain guard.  Looks satin but has 33 suffix.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Clock mount.  Gloss black.

Air filter end cap.  Satin.

Brake pedal.  Looks satin to me.  But part number as said, suggests gloss black.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2024 09:41 by Tinkicker.
07 Apr 2024 09:26 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic AT3 black paint finishes

Today’s powder coating and paint has more gloss than
 they had back in the 60-70’s in my experience that’s why I use semi or satin depending on the manufacturer. 
 I know a lot of people back in the early 80’s were using 
Krylon 1613 for the engine compartment in their mustangs but today’s replacement has more shine I used my old Binks model 7 with PPG paint on mine. Sorry to get off subject 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
07 Apr 2024 10:38 #12

Replied by MarkT on topic AT3 black paint finishes

In my experience, new parts from Yamaha very often do not match the original finish. Years ago I was thrilled to be able to order brand new handlebars from Yamaha... when they arrived they were painted black and not chrome plus were not the exact original bend. New petcocks from Yamaha are often very different from the originals... so different that the replacement seals Yamaha sells for the original petcock often will not fit the new replacement petcock listed on the same page.

The answer from Yamaha is that the replacements are "functionally equivalent"... another example is for decades the parts lists for 68 DT1 show only later model gauges and not the original speedo and small tach.

Memories are funny things but I do have memories as a kid of visits to the Yamaha dealer with my Dad in the early 70's of the finish of the black "frame parts" matching. I admired the glossy finishes and noticed details like the often not so perfect frame welds often visible near the pegs and rear of the engine. (Dad couldn't afford to buy me a new Yamaha but that didn't stop us from picking out the ones I liked the best). When he borrowed a 1971 DT1 to ride to Riverside raceway, I spent hours crawling over it in the garage the day before... without the Internet, something like inspecting a motorcycle would grab my attention
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Ht1kid, Tinkicker
07 Apr 2024 11:23 #13

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic AT3 black paint finishes

I recall visiting our “local” Yamaha shop.. walk into the show room and perhaps 50 bikes of various brands and sizes… back before the road bikes started showing up… hours upon hours dreaming… getting the brochure…. I thought more of them than the girlie books! I digress…
Many years ago, you’d go get a can of black paint, and the option was flat black or black… now there is so many variations.. being somewhat color blind, they look so similar I can’t tell..
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
07 Apr 2024 12:03 #14

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart