facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Battery leaks

• nivlagusa
  • nivlagusa's Avatar Topic Author

Battery leaks was created by nivlagusa

Hi all. Ive got a issue with my battery. It leaks. I bought it new this spring. Its a Parts Unlimited, 6N2-2A3. It came with the electrolyte. Everything was working great on the bike. Lights all worked and the horn worked. Does not have turn signals. I was standing out there in the garage last night and noticed some white on the chain and thats when I discovered the leaky battery. It appears to be leaking along the top where the bottom of the battery meets up with the top. The level in the battery is in between the hash marks. It hasnt froze or had any intense heat. So, my question is... Does this sound like a electrical issue or could it just be a faulty battery? Ive never had good luck with these types of batteries as Ive run them in my Hodaka wombat and my B model. Thanks for your input. This is a 1971 DT1E. Pat
31 Aug 2023 11:42 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DVM on topic Battery leaks

It sounds like the battery was made defective in sealing the battery case. I only use (and recommend) gelcel sealed batteries.
31 Aug 2023 13:16 #2

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Battery leaks

What brand is it and where was it made?

Do you have the vent tube attached?
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
31 Aug 2023 13:24 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Battery leaks

No doubt you have the vent tube on it & down the frame somewhere so not breathing on steel or paint. Some vent tubes need the end cut off as sealed shut. But old style vent tubes have a small cut that goes to the top end--"well might have one both ends so you can't go wrong"-- incase of blockage so it can force vent there if need be. If its overcharging it'll vent more & evaporate the water quicker.
By the sound of it you just have a faulty battery from manufacturer. Unfortunate & a shame as never seen that.
31 Aug 2023 15:28 #4

• nivlagusa

Replied by nivlagusa on topic Battery leaks

Well, the battery is a Parts Unlimited branded battery. It says it was made in Vietnam. I had the vent tube attached and checked that it was clear and not kinked coming clear out the bottom of the bike. No plug at the end of the hose. I didnt see any evidence of moisture inside the vent tube. I cant see any sign of moisture around the three caps either. 
  So, it the battery was being overcharged would it cause the battery case to fail? It would just evaporate the liquid faster? Just trying to determine if if it is something that will repeat itself if I buy a new battery. Im going to take your advice and go with the gel battery when it is all said and done. Thank you for your responses! Pat
01 Sep 2023 13:24 #5

Replied by Tom P on topic Battery leaks

That's the same battery I ordered for my CT-1 18 months ago, and it's been fine. Maybe it was dropped during shipment? 

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0ZXES/ref..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edit: 01 Sep 2023 14:09 by Tom P.
01 Sep 2023 13:56 #6

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Battery leaks

I have Yuasa that are made in Taiwan in 2 of my '71s, no issues.
I have battery boxes from '72/'73 in my other '71s with the MotoBatt MBT6N4 Absorbed Glass Matt. They will fit. No fumes. And they last much longer.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
01 Sep 2023 14:05 #7

• nivlagusa

Replied by nivlagusa on topic Battery leaks

I dont remember any damage to either of the boxes it came in. I was out there looking at the battery again and did notice that the side I suspect that was leaking has a lower level in that chamber than the other two. More convinced I got a bummer. Got it off ebay from OEM cycle shop. Mainly because it had the electrolyte with it.  Was really happy with the deal with them. Ill look into the motobatt battery option. Thanks again for your responses. Pat
01 Sep 2023 14:49 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Battery leaks

Was battery vent tube routed near the chain? Yamaha usually has a sticker with routing as this was a common problem.

Any other signs of acid damage? I've had a battery case leak and the acid damage doesn't just show up down on the chain

Anyway, if chain had acid on it, replace it.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Sep 2023 15:24 #9

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Battery leaks

Did you contact them and see if they would send you a replacement?
01 Sep 2023 15:28 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart