facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Another Hodaka In the House

• Makotosun
  • Makotosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Replied by Makotosun on topic Another Hodaka In the House

I have been "Out" for a long time :)

I learned to ride off road on them back in the 70's and am a shirt tail relation to Bob Canfield, who was one of the Pabatco/Hodaka factory riders. He was the brother in law of my uncle.

I have a pretty nice Ace 100B+ and now this project for my son. We will hopefully be riding in the Hodaka Days Parade together this year!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
27 May 2015 13:53 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RacerClam on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Bobs a good guy

Rich
racerclam
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
27 May 2015 18:15 #12

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Mad some progress today - I was able to get out of work early, so Alex and I spent some time in the yard and garage - cleaning, etc.

We got the new Cheng Shen knobbies mounted up, new brake shoes installed front and rear, New rear wheel bearings, New rear sprocket, bars and controls (except the throttle) new cables run, touched up the front fork paint, and painted the rear springs black. The chrome was too far gone to salvage. Also got the new kickstand installed so it will sit on it's own.

Pictures did not all turn out well - too dark in the garage. I had an old stainless fender on another Hodaka parts bike that had been cut way down. It did have a cool homebuilt mount and then I added some mud flaps front and rear to make it a more reasonable length. The rear fender will be cut down just a bit as it is a street fender, and we will follow the lines of the Super Rats which were about 6" shorter. The fenders are stainless, so you can cut them and they won't then later rust.

The tank cleaned up just amazing using the Metal Rescue. I will do a documentary of the stuff on a Yamaha Tank when I get a bit more time. We are in a huge rush to get this thing going, as Hodaka days is coming along in about a month.

I still need to redo the seat, finish up the tank, get a couple of small hardware bits then make sure it has a good service, then the bike should be good to go! Really simple machines.
28 May 2015 02:54 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Today saw a lot of progress. Finished up the tank badges, re-did the seat, bolted most everything else up and in the morning we will be ready to fire her up and see how it all works. A few things left to do as we are awaiting a couple of parts, and tomorrow we hope to have our hands on a period expansion chamber for the bike! If all goes well, another "parts" bike should be following me home.

We went with the 50th Anniversary badges, in part because they were less expensive than the originals, but also because we were at the 50th celebration last year. Seemed to be a good fit.

Added some silver Fly bars, and shorty levers on the original perches. All new Motion Pro cables (one still to install but another part needs to get here first), and it will get a number plate to clean this area up.

We didn't have a front fender, so a really short one from another project was drafted and then extended using some rubber from some old auto splash guards I had laying around. These bikes have stainless fenders, so rust is not an issue when they are cut and shaped. We also replaced brake shoes front/rear. Tires are 17" Cheng Shen knobbies.

New sprockets and gold chain will make it go, and we used the old hot rod trick of black paint to make the rusty and pitted shock springs look a bit more sporty. They are actually in decent functional shape and will do for now. We also added a NOS factory kickstand as the bike had no kickstand at all when we got it.
30 May 2015 21:41 #14

This message has attachments images.

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

We had to rebuild the seat foam a bit, and added a very nice RePop Seat cover - the one thing you can do to almost any bike to make look so much better. The stock pipe is going to be replaced, but for now we just cleaned the chrome and painted the guard black. The guards are normally chrome, but this one had seen better days.

Just to demonstrate the full transformation over the past 3 days - here is what we started with:

And this evening we arrived here:

Like I said, we have a couple of small things left to do but the bike is functionally done. Now for some test riding to make sure it will make it the 40 miles of the Bad Rock Trail ride!

Thanks for Following Along! :likey
30 May 2015 21:47 #15

This message has attachments images.

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

I have been too busy to update this thread getting everything ready for a trip to Athena, Oregon later today. Needless to say, the bike in this thread was destined to be part of the trip.

We put a few hundred bucks into safety and usability parts (tires, brakes, cables) and some cosmetic pieces noted above, and a LOT of elbow grease and now Alex has himself a neat little Ace 100 that should work great for the Bad Rock Trail Ride as well as the Hodaka Only Parade in Athena!

The final product:

Actually we did a bit more cleaning and changed his number to match his soccer jersey . . . so now it reads 81.
24 Jun 2015 06:11 #16

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Another Hodaka In the House

That is really cool! :OnFire
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
24 Jun 2015 14:32 #17

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Just to prove we really don't build closet queens . . . Fun and some mud in the Pacific NW!

This image is hidden for guests.

Posted from my iPhone from the Wild!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bigdog302
05 Dec 2015 22:39 #18

Replied by relic on topic Another Hodaka In the House

AWESOME!!!
I wonder where this goes...?
Daily riders-1976 DT400C, 1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler, 1971 Hodaka Ace 100B+, 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.
06 Dec 2015 07:29 #19

Replied by Hemibusa37 on topic Another Hodaka In the House

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
17 Feb 2016 20:39 #20

Moderators: Makotosun