facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

• s900t8v
  • s900t8v's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair was created by s900t8v

hey guys

anyone got a good cheap source for replacing the rubber cushions that are in between the basket and the primary gear and or a walkthrough

found a really good one a long time ago cant rmemeber where though

see yambits sells rubber dampers for the rd series. wonder if they're similar?

cheers

*** not talking about the rubber rings that go between the frictions!
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
Last edit: 14 Dec 2015 22:55 by s900t8v.
14 Dec 2015 22:38 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by s900t8v on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

Found what I was looking for

the AG uses the Dt100 clutch basket. and DT100 springs etc - no wonder my clutch slips so bad!

Thinking the RD kits are the best. but have too many rubbers!

yambits.co.uk/rd250-clutch-basket-damper-rubbers-p-14780.html
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Blackhat250
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 19:32 by s900t8v.
16 Dec 2015 05:19 #2

Replied by Blackhat250 on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

Hey 900" do a thread on the rebuild on the cush drives, . be a first, never seen it done, :likey
If you aint mixin gas " you aint haulin Ass
16 Dec 2015 15:16 #3

Replied by DVM on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

Now that you've found the cushions, just how do you plan to replace them :?: . Seems to me you'd need a machine shop to remove the heavy duty rivets holding the clutch basket together. Then find the correct rivets :?: :?: and replace the cushions and press the new rivets into place. Certainly the average garage won't have the equipment for such an operation.

The cushions in my CT3 are also worn and I'd like to replace them but I haven't heard of anyone that does this work. I'm all ears!!!
16 Dec 2015 15:16 #4

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

its easy peasy people do it for all different types of motorcycle baskets, most have peened mild steel rivets.

you simply drill them out, they're countersunk so grinding the head off doesnt usually work.

re the countersunk rivets. you install them, trim them to length if required, then place the back of the rivet on a steel/iron dolly and then peen the rivet edge down to the same width and height as the yamaha spec. simple.

dont need any special tools! just a drill, a hammer, a dolly, some spare time :huh:
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 19:32 by s900t8v.
16 Dec 2015 15:57 #5

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

The problem:

vid753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/ejgr...1423_zpsfh4ajrbj.mp4

This kind of slop induces clutch slip and basically shock loads everything which isnt ideal.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The process is simple

Used my pencil grinder to grind down the peened ends of the rivets.

Then tapped them out from the back with a pin punch

You can see the rivets are countersunk

Here you can see the destroyed rubbers!

Now that kit I put a link up should work, although it has 4 solid rubbers and 2 hollow rubbers. the stock ones in mine were all hollow, I think you just put the solid ones for the forward direction and the soft ones for reverse, I dont know why they give 2 hollow rubbers and not 3 that seems silly, maybe you get too much slop. I would like all solid rubbers but they are very expensive (or I could just buy 2x kits of this!)

The rubber size is approx 21-23mm, I think the 23mm rubber pucks for RD350's could fit with a bit of modification not sure.

The alternative cheap way which is probably what I will do is to use hydraulic hose 20mm OD or thereabouts. I've seen this done before, its thick walled, stiff, and oil/heat proof. Get an offcut from the hydraulic shop and cut it into the correct sizes with a hacksaw, you can then even put a smaller diameter inside the hose or leave it like it is.

I am going to source the rivets from my local aircraft parts place, they should have ones the right size!

The alternative to rivets is to just use countersunk allen bolts with half thickness nuts on the back and loctite permanent. Some people tap threads for extra support. I am likely going to just stick with the rivets!
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, Devin, MarkT, Blackhat250, FrankC, PDXtyist
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 17:27 by s900t8v.
16 Dec 2015 17:20 #6

Replied by DVM on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

s900t8v, WOW!! A great big THANK YOU for a wonderful write up with photos showing the rest of us just how it is done Yay2 Yay2 :likey :likey . Now I can work my CT3 clutch basket using your method. When you find the correct rivets please let us know where to get them.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
17 Dec 2015 11:51 #7

Replied by jims175 on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

Another possibility might be to get a hunk of polyurethane like they use for suspension bushings ( I believe Energy Suspension sells blocks of it) and whittle up some replacements. They would most likely last forever.
19 Dec 2015 10:25 #8

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

only problem is poly doesnt really have any give!
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
19 Dec 2015 22:13 #9

Replied by RT325 on topic yam 175 clutch basket cushion repair

not sure [or--don't think] it would matter a hell of a lot if there's little or next to 'no give'. loosely basing that on the fact that i don't think the YZ's [thinking my old YZ250A clutch basket] don't think they have anything--straight cut primary gears & solid basket plus 'no cush' in the rear wheel sprocket, & they survive. Where as the trail bikes with one in the clutch & also in the rear sprocket too, it's a wonder they don't leap away [like a kangaroo] sorry. Beer talk. I've been a bit behind the 8 ball commenting on your posts--Man you're that far ahead of where i've been muddling along at for years that i just love reading your posts & trying to keep up with them. Keep em coming, please.
20 Dec 2015 00:50 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart