facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Explosive electrical hazard?

• 19stuberd
  • 19stuberd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Explosive electrical hazard? was created by 19stuberd

Hello everyone.
Those of you who frequent these pages probably remember my bike as being the annoying one that wouldn't work but now works but no lights work. We're still there right now except I have a new issue. I was riding and the bike started to run choppy, I rode it again later and it was still very skippy like how having a fouled plug feels, but replacing the plug has not fixed the issue. I am thinking it may be an issue with carburetion as it will sputter on ether and it has spark, but that's beside the point for now.

photos.app.goo.gl/Za9WqAi6ZPVnhtXY6 

I noticed a very frightening phenomenon occurring while I was revving the bike a couple months ago, and I suspect this may relate to my electrical woes. I have attached a video. You can see that there is a spark connecting between the gas tank and the frame, which I would imagine is probably very not good. Has anyone ever seen this before? What could cause it? Might it be related to my lack of lighting power? Also, keep in mind I located my condenser to be next to the ignition coil and have used an aftermarket coil. Thanks for any input and it's great to see you all again.

Daniel
06 Jul 2023 14:45 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Explosive electrical hazard?

Looks to me like one of the wires under the tank is shorting to either the tank or the frame and it's finding a path there at the back of your tank/frame. Look for bare wires under the tank...
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
06 Jul 2023 15:07 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Explosive electrical hazard?

Blimey, that's a new problem.
Check if your coil mounted condenser has clearance to the tank.
First off maybe check your engine mount bolts for tightness or run a separate earth from somewhere on the motor to the coil mount under the tank.
Does the main loom still earth up there at the coil mount as normal.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
06 Jul 2023 15:29 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart