facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

Replied by gvthnks on topic CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

When I first started playing with Iron Head Harleys, the first one I had, a '69 XLCH made some odd noise. The more I worked on IH Harleys I realized that those were just noisey. What I was hearing was the whining from four gear driven cams in the cam chest. Now that I know what it is, it doesn't bother me any more.

I don't hear or see anything that scares me. That the noise changes w the clutch actuation makes me think the top end is just fine.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
08 May 2023 13:58 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by goatboy56 on topic CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

If you think it may have something to do with the clutch as noise changes with clutch lever in and in neutral I have a CT2 that when I got it would make rattling noises like that and went to replace the plates found that the notched lock washer was not seated right and jammed on and still shifted ok but had enough play to make the noise.
2 - 73 LT3's
2 - 72 CT2's
2 - 73 CT3's
75 DT250B
76 DT175C
Extra 73 CT3 ( parts bike)
Last edit: 08 May 2023 15:21 by goatboy56.
08 May 2023 15:19 #42

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

Considering it's clutch related i guess i've already mentioned earlier the fat rubber Oring that fits over the basket & in the V between basket gear & basket. Dampens the chatter.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, msavitt
08 May 2023 17:02 #43

Replied by Yamfan on topic CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

Were the sharp edges removed from the ports after the rebore was carried out?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
25 May 2023 12:10 #44

• Bdee
  • Bdee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Bdee on topic CT3 - 135 miles after rebore.

"goatboy56 If you think it may have something to do with the clutch as noise changes with clutch lever in and in neutral I have a CT2 that when I got it would make rattling noises like that and went to replace the plates found that the notched lock washer was not seated right and jammed on and still shifted ok but had enough play to make the noise."

Oh poop.    I put the nut on backwards so the whole enchilada was loose.  dammit.  I knew better; must of been drunk.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, goatboy56
Last edit: 01 Jun 2023 19:41 by Bdee.
01 Jun 2023 19:38 #45

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart