facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Please help me stop blowing headlights!

• ckjacks
  • ckjacks's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by ckjacks on topic Please help me stop blowing headlights!

Thanks Apex!!
07 Oct 2021 05:40 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ckjacks

I also saw the regulator MSAVITT posted from ebay. The TT has two wires, his has one. Is the brown wire on yours a ground and his grounded through the screw to the frame?
07 Oct 2021 05:43 #22

Replied by MarkT on topic Please help me stop blowing headlights!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
07 Oct 2021 05:56 #23

• ckjacks

Thank you so much, Mark. These links go to great reads packed with valuable information. I will read and re-read!
07 Oct 2021 06:34 #24

Replied by Flowart on topic Please help me stop blowing headlights!

Hello There,

I am new here but this is a godsend that I found this forum. I have a yamaha dt 360 1974 enduro and have spent all winter on trying to figure out my wiring. I attached a 6v regulator on yellow coming out of mag and my headlight is still blowing and my taillight is still blowing. I dont know what to do at this point... Any pointers?

Rudy
02 Apr 2022 19:06 #25

Replied by RT325 on topic Please help me stop blowing headlights!

Hello There,

I am new here but this is a godsend that I found this forum. I have a yamaha dt 360 1974 enduro and have spent all winter on trying to figure out my wiring. I attached a 6v regulator on yellow coming out of mag and my headlight is still blowing and my taillight is still blowing. I dont know what to do at this point... Any pointers?

Rudy

Think i just posted this reply on another post but maybe you asked on both. Got out attention anyway haha.
Pics might help if possible sometime but from my longterm memory blue goes everywhere including headlight via the dip switch when lights are on. Seems odd if your tail light lasted a bit after the headlight blew. Is your tail ac off the mag or dc from battery. Ours run ac tail & headlight plus instrument illuminating bulbs. Hope ya not blowing expensive sealed headlights. Luckily we have replaceable bulbs [in NZ]. ps, i used to connect the single wire regulator to the tail light blue but mostly i was 'not' using a battery. I could be corrected on this though.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 19:48 by RT325.
02 Apr 2022 19:46 #26

Replied by Flowart on topic Please help me stop blowing headlights!

Thank you so much for your reply!! I found a wiring diagram for my dt 360 1974 yamaha enduro. Theres a voltage rectifier that came stock that sits before the mag which I believe is still dc which powers my signals. Then theres a yellow that comes out of my mag that converts to ac and there is no regulator or rectifier. Seems like that was a manufacter issue that i think they fixed in the later 70s or 80s. So that made me think thats why my headlight is blowing and when i tested the headlight it seemed fine and was working normal. Then i installed the 6v sealed headlight and as soon as i turned the light on it blew. thats my 4th ive blown. im pretty sure the power to the taillight goes comes from after the mag as well so that would be unregulated stock as well. I installed the regulator directly after the mag on the yellow. I tested it with a meter to make sure it went to the headlight. i hope this extra info helps? I can add pictures and the wiring diagram if that would help?

Another question.. maybe silly but since its my headlight and taillight thats blowing couldnt I just put a regulator on the wire right before it reaches my headlight and same for taillight? Or would that not matter much since its ac ?
Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 20:58 by Flowart.
02 Apr 2022 20:34 #27

I'll drop a link here to what i wrote on the other post [confusing myself now haha]. Post No12 I know the diagram is DT400 but bottom right shows the regulator.
yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/gene...sues?start=10#145679
Last edit: 03 Apr 2022 03:20 by RT325.
03 Apr 2022 03:16 #28

Not sure if i'm going in circles or waiting for MarkT to catch up & pass me--but originally they wouldn't blow bulbs unless the battery was "out of it" or had run out of water totally. 'I think' they added a Reg because no-one looked after their battery as they should & bulbs [or expensive sealed units] were popping off everywhere. I guess you're running a battery & that it's charging?. If the little rectifier under the tank is faulty & not charging the battery then all the ac goes to the lights & poof gone. Which is what i think must've been going on to blow yours at idle [or slightly above]. Rectifiers rarely fail except the terminals 'white & red' corrode & break off but not very often. To test it should only pass current one way on ohms resistance.

Reading the last part of your question. Talking wire to the headlight [& i'm only talking tongue in cheek] but yep you could put one to each beam wire & one to the tail light & that'd work but not practical to have 3 regulators [expensive] [& shouldn't have to].
Last edit: 03 Apr 2022 03:42 by RT325.
03 Apr 2022 03:35 #29

Can you buy just an inexpensive bulb [or 3] to experiment with. It wouldn't need to be the exact wattage, [just 6 volt] as the regulator 'if working' will stop it at a safe voltage, hence that's why they fitted them to save all bulbs or what bulbs are left after one might've dropped the filament off from vibration or similar.
03 Apr 2022 03:52 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart