facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Obsolete Parts and Crazy Prices....Arggh...

• Older than Dirt
  • Older than Dirt's Avatar Topic Author

Obsolete Parts and Crazy Prices....Arggh... was created by Older than Dirt

I'm new here, so please go easy on me if this has been broached before...

Got a '79 GT80 box of parts that I'm slowly trying to get going. No museum quality here. In fact, I believe by the rust that the bike was sunk, pulled out and put behind a barn or something.

I have so many parts I need I don't know where to start, but I can say one thing, there are places out there trying to rob you blind on some things. Pretty frustrating when I used to work at a Yamaha shop for a number of years. Also frustrating at how many common items are obsolete. It's the same with any brand though, at 41 years old.

I have a semblance of a throttle cable/oil cable, but it is fairly tight. Obsolete. I will probably have to go with premix.

The price of points and condenser, though available OEM, are almost $90...

I am a machinist, and can make some stuff. There are no TK carburetors available, and the smallest Mikuni needs an adapter to clamp on the intake reed plate. I've got that done.

Any recommendations to find decent prices on NOS (never originally sold) OEM parts? I know the old shop I worked at sold lots of oversized piston and rings, tranny gears for the early '70's bikes to a small shop in my old hometown. I could check with him to see what he has and if it is higher priced than the clouds.
09 Aug 2020 17:57 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by darinm on topic Obsolete Parts and Crazy Prices....Arggh...

Unfortunately you're dealing with one of the smaller volume bikes, and prices go up as original sales volume went down. Most stuff on the 125/175/250 models are cheap, less so the further you move away from those models, and Yamaha's years of dominance in the early 70's imo. Best thing to do is ask here, there are a lot of parts stored away with some members!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Older than Dirt
09 Aug 2020 18:31 #2

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wow, sounds like you've got a bit of a job on your hands. Should be cheapy points & condensers out there but i'm too far away to help in nz but can appreciate your problem. If i tried that trick in your motard photo it'd just as i was about to be high sided lol. Somewhere up here is my HT1 as found--ball of rust--but ran well with little work. I'll put a small pic up so as not to hog your post. Pic of yours would be great sometime. Welcome too.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2020 18:45 by RT325.
09 Aug 2020 18:36 #3

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Try contacting Enduronut. Best bet for pistons and I know he stashed some tires for the smaller bikes when they were getting hard to find. He might have more. He definitely has a good stock of pistons and rings for most Yamaha Enduros.

Cables can be made without too much trouble or expense since you have the fittings. You can buy cable building kits with a splitter if you need it. Motion Pro will probably do it for you if you prefer that route.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Aug 2020 18:47 #4

One thing to consider is the investment of time selling parts in addition to sky high eBay and PayPal fees, tax to the buyer and leg work.

Buy the part
Clean the part
Paint the part
Look up listing part numbers
List by description and part numbers
Packaging costs
Mailing costs
Answering questions
Feedback
PayPal holds on sellers account
What seems like a bundle is less than minimum wage on many occasions.

But the upside is enjoyment I guess -

Welcome to our little spec of the Yama-World we do care about your projects...

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
09 Aug 2020 20:02 #5

• Older than Dirt

Replied by Older than Dirt on topic Obsolete Parts and Crazy Prices....Arggh...

Wow, that thing was parked in a tidal zone or estuary.

The photo is not me, it is Rueben Xaus, a super fast Spaniard. While I've done some crazy stuff when I was much younger, my saying now goes something like this: "The older I get, the faster I was".....Or "If you look close at my motocross pictures, you can see the grass growing under my tires..." :)

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
09 Aug 2020 20:40 #6

• Older than Dirt

Examples: sorry if you're the lister....your price is your price...but IMO you're not trying to make a living. You're trying to make a killing.
Oil pump cable

left hand handle switch
11 Aug 2020 19:38 #7

• Older than Dirt

Here's a lesson to look a little further.....partszilla price new OEM $20.35

This ebay price $99.94 for same item.
Air cleaner joint

So, it pays to dig a bit deeper.
11 Aug 2020 19:53 #8

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=174361287241&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Older than Dirt

Yes, it's even crazier when they try to gouge, when the part isn't even obsolete yet...
11 Aug 2020 20:36 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart