facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 Yamaha Enduro 175 6v to 12v conversion questions/confusions/problems

I'm sorry, looking through the posts, I'm not sure if it was mentioned that (if your 175 is like my 250), the headlight and instruments run off of the alternator, and the signals and tail/brake light run off the battery. So your battery has no direct effect on the headlight.

Also, here is the service bulletin on the voltage regulator that was mentioned before. It shows how to install it.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
07 Apr 2020 11:42 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Yamahamadingdong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yeah, I found the service bulletin on here after Mark mentioned it. I didn't know it was a thing until it was mentioned. I printed it out and started getting setup to install that.

I swear some of the tachometer lights worked when the bike was off, but I can't confirm until I get everything back together. I swear the blinker light illuminated when I was just playing with switches without having the bike running! I will check. I am probably just delusional.

I've definitely decided to stay 6v as well and will be installing the OEM regulator and turn signals. Going the full 12v LED route isn't worth the hassle in the end. I'm glad I was able to find this place and bounce my terrible ideas out off of experts before I drive around killing my battery and needing a 400$ powerdynamo update!

That battery you linked might be the holy grail. I've been trying to find a nice sealed battery that will fit in the tight spot on the DT175. Some of them are too fat for the tray, or are too tall.

or would work if they were laid on their side... but you can't do that with the flooded batteries. That one you've linked is the right size where I might be able to sit a spare one in there too. That would be great.

All the stuff should be arriving Friday, so I will get it all setup and photographed and crashed into a tree or something by Saturday probably!

yay optimism! :) lol

I need to swap the 12v horn on that I had already installed. It doesn't work obviously, and is so power hungry, it makes the tail/brake light go out when you hit the horn button.
08 Apr 2020 09:06 #42

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The aftermath. Photos attached.

Went with staying 6V because switching to the 12v powerdynamo kit seemed like it would only lead to more problems of the "oh great what now" variety, and costs!

Special thanks to MarkT for providing OEM blinkers and a voltage regulator.

Voltage Regulator Install:
I installed that using the adapter I made in the photos. I got lucky and no cuts needed to be done. What it seems like you can do based off the service bulletin diagram and my particular bike is just remove one of the dark blue lightbulb wires from either the speedometer or tachometer side of the bullet connector splitter that goes to the main blue wire(it doesn't matter), and make a new adapter that has:

1 Female bullet (for voltage regulator to go into)

connect this + 16g (the bulletin says 18, I went with 16 because I have tons of it) to a butt connector

stick two more 16 gauge wires on the other end of the butt connector.

Attach a female and a male bullet connector to these wires.

The male one goes back where the dark blue wire was pulled from, and the female one receives the old dark blue wire.

Now you've got the voltage regulator spliced in with no cutting and you can remove and swap out if it dies with minimal effort.

I mounted it right to the back of the bucket as the bulletin said to. It seems solid there and even curved to form around the bucket as I drilled a screw down. I will photograph that and post a picture once I get lightbulbs for the gauges and finish reassembling that.

Headlight Change
I bought this light from Octane Lighting:
www.octanelighting.com/kit5-3-4-motorcyc...tml?category_id=2948

It fits in perfectly fine and you can use binder clips to clip it down. I had a bitch of a time getting the light back onto the bike because the previous owner had it on rotated 90 degrees, somehow. It seems like by sheer luck + rust, it was staying on via friction. That mounting screw was not going into the little tab. That tab was on the bottom!

After hours of yelling, I went and looked and went "oh" and rotated it. Bastard popped right in with about 10 seconds of fiddling, and the screw clicked right in. That sucked lol.

But, it fires up right away even after sitting dormant for almost a month! Light is super bright and functional.

Turn signals blink away. Everything seems OK!

I did notice that now that everything is mounted and going, when I activate the blinkers there is a slight "bzzbzb" sound + delay before the turn signal pops on and blinks. Is this something to be concerned about?

I gave it a quick test with none of the gauge bulbs in, and the gauges themselves were not attached either. I have to find bulbs or wait for the ones I ordered to come in the mail.

This was a learning experience for sure, but I am not sad about the lack of an LED now. This halogen bastard is bright. It's not even the super-white-one. Just the normal kind.

I have also learned that if you work with old Yamaha bikes, bullet connectors are your best friend. It seems like literally every connection on the bike is a bullet except for the rectifier.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 17:46 by Yamahamadingdong.
12 Apr 2020 17:45 #43

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Congratulations!!! :likey :likey :likey

P.S. A place called Vintage Connections used to sell really nice kits with a quality crimping tool for the original style bullet connectors... they are under new ownership but looks like they still have the same stuff.

vintageconnections.com/

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, Yamahamadingdong
12 Apr 2020 18:00 #44

yamahamadingdong, I have some spare 6v 3w bulbs. I got them for my 73 DT3 and only needed 3 to get things normal. just PM me with your address and I will shoot 4 of them to you so you can have it all ready to go. Like you, i bought an octane lighting 6v halogen and it is plenty bright but I just need it for daytime riding since I don't go out at night. If you need the bulbs let me know and great bike you have there! I may have to add a 175! Tim
13 Apr 2020 08:33 #45

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks! I actually ordered a crapload from Partzilla. I am just waiting on the shipment lol. -_-

I don't get why they aren't around in stores anymore, but then again there are alot of things stores dont carry anymore it seems. Kinda sucks.

I'm looking forward to going out and riding the thing again. At least it's been cold/rainy so I don't feel too bad that it's just sitting.
13 Apr 2020 19:08 #46

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
UPDATE:

Everything seems to be working. I tested it around midnight out on the road.

but, my dumbass THOUGHT I had the tachometer bulbs in the right holes.

High beam light is now the Neutral light
Blinker indicator is now the high beam light
Neutral light is now my blinker indicator!

Nailed it.

I need to open it and fix it. I've decided opening that gauge is the most annoying thing on the bike. I dropped the cotter pin and lost it somehow. I gave up looking for it and made a new one out of a different cotter pin I found. Maybe I need to push the dampeners up into the unit harder so they aren't so annoying to hold in place while pushing the pin through!

While out, the only other car on the road was a cop who followed me for a good 10 minutes and induced all kinds of panic, lol.

Great.

I will take some photos once I switch the lights and it is daytime out.
19 Apr 2020 02:56 #47

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Here we go!

I will add to the Just Pics thread too
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Super90
19 Apr 2020 20:49 #48

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart