facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

GT80 Update

• Fewmarshall
  • Fewmarshall's Avatar Topic Author

GT80 Update was created by Fewmarshall

A little status update on the cheap GT80 barnfind I got a couple years ago..

So far I have got the bike a new gas tank, fuel valve, fuel line, carburetor, air filter, spark plug, ignition coil, ignition points, condensor, clutch cable, new chain, ignition side oil seals, and new screws all around the case because the old ones had stripped heads.

I also cleaned a LOT of carbon off the piston and cylinder head.. like 2 mm's thick ahah

Just recently rethreaded the spark plug hole with a kit from a local store, solid steel insert and so far seems to be working great!

My new problem to tackle is a stripped hole where one of the front studs screws into the case. Turns out the last person to own the bike put that stud in upside down (they had the cylinder bored to .25 OS) and I do not have the original stud nuts, ordering them soon along with new studs.

The final action of stripping the stud was my fault though I think.. I slightly overtightened the nut and the stud pulled up :( It seemed find to me and when I started the bike afterwards it started up and ran fine, but was puffing smoke out of that studs area so I shut it down right away and realized the problem.

Since I just had my learning experience rethreading the cylinder head, at least I am fairly confident now that I can fix this aswell, so I already ordered the thread insert kit, as well as a wrench to get the exhaust off so I can do it. I already have a new base gasket to go in when I'm done.

This is the first bike I've ever worked on, and I think I'm hooked, so satisying to get these old machine running nice again :) My goal is to find a slightly larger bike that I could make street legal after I get better riding this one. The DT's and IT's seem pretty cool

Thanks for reading :) will try to add some pics as soon as I can
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, MarkT, Gr8uncleal
08 Feb 2020 12:52 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart