facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

need help identifying old enduro

• BTBM
  • BTBM's Avatar Topic Author

need help identifying old enduro was created by BTBM

Hey there I recently picked up a old yamaha enduro that id like to restore and make into a weekend cruiser eventually, it doesn't run at the moment but im stumped on figuring out which bike it is, the pipe says its a 360 but the codes on both the frame and motor match and lead me to think its a 250 attached are a pic of the bike and the code from the motor that matches the frame if it helps it also has a compression release on the head. Any help is much appreciated
28 Dec 2019 21:55 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic need help identifying old enduro

Welcome! From the UK.

As you've already figured, DT1 is the code for the 250 and, if you haven't already done so, you can get the exact model using the VIN guides in the Tech Library here.

I would imagine that someone has just fitted whatever exhaust or exhaust guard was to hand - in this case one from a 360. Once you've ascertained which year and model your bike is, others can chime in with whether or not the tank and exhaust are standard (pretty sure the tail pipe isn't).

If the decompression valve is fitted to the head then it is aftermarket. Only the 360 had a decompression valve fitted and this is on the barrel/cylinder/jug, just above the exhaust outlet.

Interesting find! Keep us posted.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
29 Dec 2019 00:24 #2

Replied by Enduronut on topic need help identifying old enduro

Welcome to the site BTBM

Congratulations !!
. . . you are now the proud owner of a 1968 DT1 250 Enduro !! :Excited.

This is the first Yamaha Enduro model made, and is considered by many, the holy grail of all Enduro models.

It's a real collectible model, but can be VERY expensive to try and restore. For example, the correct exhaust pipe for that bike averages about $600+ to purchase, if you can even find one.

The semi-good news is .... that much of the original bike is still there, so that should help to keep restoration expenses down a bit, should you decide to go that route.

Good Luck with it
Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT, swm, Badger52
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 00:51 by Enduronut.
29 Dec 2019 00:38 #3

• BTBM

Replied by BTBM on topic need help identifying old enduro

Thanks for the info on the decompression valve it is fitted on the head right next to the spark plug so hopefully it is aftermarket so I can just remove it and stuff a second plug in its place. The first thing I did when I got the bike home was start finding the vin and that told me it was a 68 250 but things looked different so I was really confused so thanks for that clairification
29 Dec 2019 08:31 #4

• BTBM

Thanks enduronut it was a impulse buy since it was only $200 the real fun is going to be getting it running first thing was it has no spark figured it was probably since the points were missing out of it lol. The next is the wiring since someone has already played with it, my biggest question is wondering if since the bike has a onboard battery when I turn the key on shouldn't the headlight turn on?
29 Dec 2019 08:36 #5

Replied by darinm on topic need help identifying old enduro

Headlight is only on when the bike is running but make sure it has a good battery or it'll blow the headlight if you turn it on while running with no/bad battery.

I'd also say if your looking for a bike to ride and have street legal you may want to sell it as being a 68 it'll command relative top dollar. My guess is for what it is worth you could get a running, fairly well preserved 70-73 Yamaha 250.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 09:20 by darinm.
29 Dec 2019 09:18 #6

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic need help identifying old enduro

Yes, darinm is correct regarding the headlight. If you are going to make it a street bike, then fit a 6v voltage regulator - Yamaha's own bulletin on this is attached. On a bike of that age and fitments, maybe only the horn and brake light will work without the engine running.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
Last edit: 29 Dec 2019 09:58 by Gr8uncleal.
29 Dec 2019 09:54 #7

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• BTBM

thanks for all the help i have a new batt sitting in my car and the new points will be arriving in the mail today. Im gonna celebrate the new year by installing some points and seeing if i can get this thing started
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52
31 Dec 2019 12:43 #8

Replied by dwil4 on topic need help identifying old enduro

Great find man....I would buy those all day for $200!!
04 Feb 2020 06:23 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart