facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Cleaning carbon deposit off gasket surface

• Fewmarshall
  • Fewmarshall's Avatar Topic Author

Cleaning carbon deposit off gasket surface was created by Fewmarshall

As you can see, aside from the literal dirt caked to this cylinder head, there is a decent sized carbon deposit on the gasket surface from the engine having been ran with a blown head gasket in the past. The lower gasket surface has the exact same marking. I was wondering a safe way to clean this without ruining the gasket surface or if I should even try removing it?
13 Dec 2019 13:41 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT360Fan on topic Cleaning carbon deposit off gasket surface

Hard to tell from the pic how bad the build up is. If its relatively thick you can use a scraper (carefully) to get the majority off the gasket surface. Then wet the area with something like Kroil or Hoppe's 9 to help dissolve the carbon, then wipe off. If you have a surface plate you can lightly lap the head gasket surface too.

Just don't go crazy on it. I cringe when I see someone cleaning gasket material from aluminum with an air grinder and roloc disc. Yikes! Just use the tool between your ears and you'll be fine.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
13 Dec 2019 14:00 #2

I like Acetone on a wet rag.
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
14 Dec 2019 08:21 #3

Replied by shyted on topic Cleaning carbon deposit off gasket surface

Mr Muscle oven cleaner works a treat .
You could spray that on all that surface and it will get rid of 95% of the crap.
Don't get it on the nice bits,and don't breath it in or it will de carbonize you as well.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 23:16 by shyted.
14 Dec 2019 23:14 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart