facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome!
11 Aug 2020 00:06 #1021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jerryd68 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey all, I really enjoy this site, been a lurker for awhile but have become very endeared to these motorcycles. I have several that I am working on, motorcycles have always been a passion, I don't seem to find the same passion for the newer bikes for some reason though. Hope to learn a lot and hopefully contribute also. I have been in the industrial maintenance field for all my career, 30+ years, I have a lot of mechanical and electrical experience.
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha DT400
77 Yamaha DT100
87 Honda XL600R
87 Honda XR600R
97 ATK 605
09 Kawasaki KLX450R
05 Harley Electra Glide
12 Aug 2020 07:32 #1022

Replied by Project250 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey there, My name is Mark and I have been gone for a long time. Maybe 8 years or so. It's been so long that I cannot remember my old user name. Anyway, hello there.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
13 Aug 2020 13:41 #1023

Replied by 2fishkev on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome back. Everyone is bound to fall off the wagon and end up back here. Enduroholism.
13 Aug 2020 18:28 #1024

Replied by 750kr1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi and Welcome,

These guys know their stuff, helped me out on several occasions,

welcome and stay safe
15 Aug 2020 09:56 #1025

Replied by msavitt on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi -
I just stumbled across this thread, so i will share my boring self
I am 55 yrs old, mechanical engineer/MBA who is now CEO of a software co in OC
I grew up working as a mechanic from the age of 14 to 20 working in a shop that fixed everything from small engines up to very large trucks and construction equipment and learned a ton and tinkering with machines, especially older ones that aren't computer controlled makes me happy. I got a 140+ HP beetle and always wanted to get a big bore DT since i had a POS one that i wrecked when i was an irresponsible punk kid in Chicago. Moved family to OC 6 years ago, taxes high, but i live in a super place that backs up to 9000 acres of wilderness and has Santiago Peak that i am enthralled with and which i plan to ride my rewly restored 74 DT360 up after i shake it down really, really good since at my age a heart attack is likely if i have to push this beast down middle divide truck road which feels like its uphill both ways.
Thanks,
Martin
15 Aug 2020 12:05 #1026

Replied by ie305mp3 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi. I'm Iain (that's the Scots version of Ian, although I'm English). I'm in the UK. I had a 1976 DT100 back in 1978/79. I now have a 1972 DT250 DT2. In between I've had all sorts: a 1977 Yamaha LB80, 1972 Honda CB250, 1971 ST50, 1980 Kawasaki VN800, 2010 Yamaha FZ, 2009 CCM Supermoto, Ducati Multistrada. But in the DT250 I've found something I really connect with.

It was an import to the UK some years ago, but appears to have been registered for UK use back in March 2019. I'd say it hadn't been run since then before I found it. But dust and grime can hide diamonds. Fresh fuel, two kicks, and she's running. Clutch de-seized and she's moving. New battery and headlamp bulb and everything's working. Broken exhaust header stud replaced and the oil leak stops. Proper clean, and I'm suddenly very proud of finding something which I suspect has been passed over for the sake of around £100 of repairs and parts.

It's a really long shot, but I'd like to try to get some history on my bike. It seems to be original, with some exceptions and question marks. The main points are that it has a 21 inch front wheel and a metal MX-style high mudguard (fender..?) which my local Japanese classic bike expert tells me are the same age as the bike, and possibly even optional upgrades at time of purchase or early in its life. Fender material, paint and patina would support the age assessment.

It has matching engine and frame numbers - DT1F-129XXX - but also has an official-looking Canada Transport CMVSS NSVAC sticker with the number 867 on the downtube near the frame number.

Couple of issues: airbox is missing, so it has an aftermarket cone filter, and while it zings round to the red through the gears it won't hold a steady cruise above around 45mph, feeling like it might be fuel-starved. It's on premix 32:1. Autolube is disconnected - something to look at in due course. The tyres are non-standard and being swapped for original spec this week.

Iain

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
01 Sep 2020 01:02 #1027

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! Iain.
Bike looks great, the experts will be on later and they'll be able to point out every original and non-original part for you.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
01 Sep 2020 01:51 #1028

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! from near Salisbury Iain. Cracking looking bike! :likey

Yes, import from Canada - my Suzuki GT550J is the same.

Bike would probably have had the lower, fork mounted mudguard when new - have a look all around your mudguard to see if there's a manufacturers name on it (Preston Petty were very popular), but the US guys will chime in if they recognise the one on yours.

With my OCD hat on, I'd say that your indicators don't look original - they look like the "sunflower" type fitted to later models. Only worth worrying about, though, if you're particular about it being original.

If it hasn't been done already, seriously consider fitting a 6v voltage regulator. I have attached a link to Yamaha's bulletin below.

Fire away with any questions!

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
01 Sep 2020 07:07 #1029

Replied by ie305mp3 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hellooooo Salisbury. Yes, indicators are not original, for certain. As and when...

I've added mirrors, though. They probably didn't need them for outrunning bears in Canada. Maybe on a DT100, but not a DT250.
01 Sep 2020 07:45 #1030

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart