facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT175 clutch questions

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic 1974 DT175 clutch questions

I don't remember if you've said the clutch fibers and steels are new, if not I'd chuck them all and buy new, they are not that expensive.  When I first got my DT2 it was running ok so I thought I'd take it for a ride, pulled the clutch in put it in first gear, let the clutch out and got nothing.  I decided with it's age to just start over and bought all new parts and as our friends down under and across the pond would say - worked like a treat

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
01 Mar 2023 01:33 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT175 clutch questions

Yes, offset pin on screw, when engaged in groove on arm shaft, raises and lowers cable arm. Wedge on arm is thickest at bottom so as arm raises the freeplay to pushrod becomes less. 1/2 turn of screw is all it takes to raise arm all the way from fully lowered.

I wonder if you have rubber rings in there correctly. They have a groove and fit inside steels if I remember right. I generally leave them out as they sometimes deteriorate and don't fit right. I've taken a couple clutches apart where someone has just laid the rings in there and clutch won't release when lever pulled and also slips like hell.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Mar 2023 05:27 #12

• dan
  • dan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by dan on topic 1974 DT175 clutch questions

I will check thickness of fibers next time I get them.out.
dan
01 Mar 2023 06:05 #13

• dan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

The next try I will leave the rubbers out.
dan
01 Mar 2023 06:06 #14

Replied by RT325 on topic 1974 DT175 clutch questions

Just a thought & maybe not relevant, but, rubbers fit under [say inside] the fibers, theoretically fractionally wider at the lip to help spread the steels away [on a good day] & also can soften the uptake when releasing [letting go of the lever] the clutch. BUT, if you have replaced the fibers with aftermarket ones then they might be full depth fibers therefor no room under them for the rubbers. SO, if you then fitted the rubber [with nowhere to go] they'd just end up holding the steels away from the fibers, with springs trying hard to compress it all & getting nowhere!!. Ok maybe i'm talking rubbish because with 4 or 5 rubbers like that you probably wouldn't get the pressure plate on & in-place. So stop reading lol--there's no more.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: dan
Last edit: 02 Mar 2023 12:32 by RT325.
02 Mar 2023 12:29 #15

Replied by JimA on topic 1974 DT175 clutch questions

On my 1975 DT 175, once I got it running the clutch was slipping and I could not get it adjusted out. I took it a part and checked the plates they were barely in spec. The springs were all out of spec. I went ahead and replaced all the plates and springs. I used the original rubbers, they were in good shape, surprising considering at the time they were 45 years old. It was a couple of years ago and I don’t remember off hand what I paid for everything, but I don’t remember it being overly expensive.
It no longer slips and I have plenty of adjustment left. The replacements were all OEM Yamaha and purchased from Rocky Mountain.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Sneezles61
03 Mar 2023 21:22 #16

• dan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I checked the thickness of the fibers.  They are at the max thickness, the steels are nice and shiny and flat, the springs are at max length.  I put it back together this time without the rubber cushioners..  I have the arm and cable set and have good action (throw) and it separates the clutch pack nicely.  I tried to put the steels in the groove on the rubbers just to see and the rubbers are way to big circumference to all fit in there.  It hasn't quit raining enough to try it yet.  The steels and fibers appear almost new, I think I have to just hit on the correct stacking order.  The bike is showing just 5000 miles. I know that may not mean much if it was abused.  But I do really appreciate all the replies and tips.  I will figure it out eventually.  I may buy new fibers and steels but I don't feel that is needed.  
dan
04 Mar 2023 03:13 #17

It doesn't matter--but not quite sure how you tried to fit the rubbers with steels. Rubbers originally fit under each fiber. Genuine original fibers have a clearance under them to allow for the cushion rings. Steel to come up to each side of the fibers so i guess you could say they trap the rubbers under the fibers & in theory contact the rubbers to help spread the steels away from the fibers. Just hang them on a nail & are handy to use for all sorts of things. Look forward to how she goes.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2023 00:44 by RT325.
05 Mar 2023 00:29 #18

• dan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I took it apart, again.  I noticed the pushrod that comes out the right side of motor (pushes the clutch pack apart) was not fully retracting back into its hole when released.  So back to the other side, made some adjustments to that lever and adjusting screw to facilitate that to happen.  Put it back together, no rubbers, and even a small nylon spacer under the head of the 5 clutch spring screws (trying for stiffer action, homemade race springs) and tried it out.
The clutch grabs good now, the only slippage I feel is the half worn trails tire slipping in the wet grass, even got a bit of front wheel popage in 2nd!  It still is about impossible to come up out of first into neutral unless the engine is stopped, I will work on that.  Definitely ridable now and it will probably stay out on the patio to chase the dog when she wanders out of the yard...at least that is a good excuse to keep a 49 year old enduro.  I think new seat foam and cover will improve it greatly.
dan
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JimA
05 Mar 2023 08:21 #19

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Go & enjoy it. The pushrod wouldn't retract by releasing the lever without a bit of push with your thumb, which is what the pressure plate does--pushes. You'll get good at snicking neutral while coming to a halt. Sounds like clutch is hanging on a little which is annoying but might have to live with it for now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: dan, MarkT
05 Mar 2023 16:08 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart