facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My New (to me) '75 DT125B

• Vinduroman
  • Vinduroman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Vinduroman on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

MARKT:

Yes, been there, done that. I now have a system that involves magnets and rags, as well as a packing blanket underneath. Live and learn!

Thanks for the those links. Like I mentioned above, going to clean/de-grease/repack and adjust. THEN see what I've got. IF I need balls/races... then I'll get serious about ordering but it will wait until the riding season is over before I replace.

SNEEZLES61:

True enough, but I've had worn steering head bearings on bikes previous, it is quite noticeable at lower speeds when negotiating tight terrain, and/or executing at slow speeds (turn-arounds/etc). Egg shaped races also greatly reduces the bikes gyroscopic ability at speed.

It was the low speed handling that caused me to notice the problems with this bike.

Smooth steering action the entire sweep is essential.

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
'21 KLX 140L DS (Wild Child's!)
12 Jan 2023 20:58 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

UPDATE: 1/18/23:

Been busy with other things of late, but over the past week several things have been taking place:

* Got the tank off and pulled the petcock (only one setting would work). Turned out to be a split screen covering the "Reserve" inlet, thus the inlet was filled with rock hard rusted sediment.

* Saw the tank was 95% perfect... except that 10% at the bottom was rusty and had scale/sediment in the gas when drained/poured out. SO, seeing as I had to tank pulled, I dropped it off last week at the radiator shop I use for a boil out and sealing.

* Ordered the a new OEM air filter element (seam glue had let go on the old one), as well as a new OEM petcock.

* Checked the wheel bearings/spokes (tightened as needed) front and rear and all is well.

* Pulled the front end stuff off, and then disassembled the steering head. It does indeed look like caked grease. Later I'll be cleaning the races and the bearing balls, then repacking and reassembling.

SO... in spite of life getting in the way, I've been making progress!

All fer now!

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 18 Jan 2023 09:27 by Vinduroman.
18 Jan 2023 09:26 #42

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

UPDATE 2/5/23: Got home from church and a meal at Mazzio's to find that the garage was in the low 60s! (First time out of the 30s/40s in about 3 weeks.)

Needless to say, it was out to the workbench to FINALLY get to pick up where I left of several weeks ago. Since that time, we've had 11.25" (that's a LOT for our region) of heavy wet snow, a lengthy power outage, 3"-4" of sleet (our mountain road was essentially closed from late Monday until Thursday last week!) as well as freezing/sub freezing temps. (I didn't get the sleet cleared off the driveway until Friday!)

Anyway, I didn't get as much done as I would have if I had the entire day, but I made a dent. Got the steering head parts all cleaned and the balls/races repacked. Then reassembled and adjusted the head. From there it was start re-hanging parts.

Pretty much have everything back on except for finishing up the headlight assembly. By the time I got to the headlight assembly, it was supper time, so I called it a day that was that.

Tomorrow, Good Lord willing, Wild Child and I will be loading up our modern bikes (I'll be on a Yamaha product!) and headed for Cass, AR to ride the mountains and eat at the Oark General store. Given all the winter precipitation over the past week, all the creeks ought to be really rolling. High temp for tomorrow for that region will be 62. Might nigh PERFECT!. We're really looking forward to it! Reckon it could be EPIC??
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
05 Feb 2023 17:48 #43

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Got the DT125 all sorted and have taken it out for it's official "Baptism Ride" out in the mountains. Did 81 miles of a combination of forest roads, log roads, even a short stretch of 55 MPH highway. It did fine!

I saw some pictures posted in a previous new thread, so I'm wondering if the photo feature has been restored here? Thus, IF so, this post and a test of sorts to see if I can successfully post a pic. Fingers crossed. Here goes:

(Hopefully a picture appears just below.)

EDIT:

IT WORKED!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! To the powers that be that made it function again!

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, msavitt, goatboy56
Last edit: 03 Mar 2023 07:01 by Vinduroman.
03 Mar 2023 06:57 #44

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by msavitt on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

not scientific, but when I get a stomach bug I have had luck with a relatively large dose of Costco vodka, taken orally to be clear, to wipe out bug

I would definitely check pump output ASAP and until then add a few ozs of oil to gas to get to a 25 or 30:1 just to be safe until you do, especially if its running nice so you don't go backwards and blow her up.  Get a 10 ml (cc) graduated cylinder from amazon, put premix in, and you can do the 200 strokes under engine power to make it easy.

I've done 5 bikes now and only 1 (a DT1E) had a pump that put out enough after sitting for only God knows how many years.  Not good odds.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
04 Mar 2023 07:05 #45

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart