facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

My New (to me) '75 DT125B

• Vinduroman
  • Vinduroman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Vinduroman on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

AIRBORNE:

That video clip is what weakened my resolve to find a '76 DT125C with its 21" front wheel. (A '75 has a 19".)

Upon viewing that clip, I could see that all the Yamaha supplied features are in place, the headlight (at least one beam) and tail light works, and I, too, thought it sounded great. Only having 740 miles on the odo was the kicker. No I take that back, it was priced reasonably, too, THAT was the kicker.

I figured the chances of finding a '76 in comparable condition (to say nothing of the low miles) at the price I was quoted would be nigh impossible.

A follow-up video sent to my iPhone by the seller demonstrates all features function... including the horn!

All that's left for me to do is check things over (wheel/steering bearings, air filter, service it, etc) to my satisfaction, get it insured/tagged... and off I go.

And YUP... I fully expect it to put smiles on my face just like Wild Child's AT3 did!

Did I mention I'm anxious for the morning to arrive??

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
'21 KLX 140L DS (Wild Child's!)
Last edit: 05 Jan 2023 08:06 by Vinduroman.
05 Jan 2023 08:05 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

I think you may have mentioned you're a bit anxious about getting it

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but I'll say it again, replace the brakes!  When I got my DT400 I was so anxious to ride it (and I didn't even know if it would start but did on 3rd kick), that I didn't even think about the brakes so took it for a ride around the block.  After that it did cross my mind, when I pulled the front brake drum off the brake pads came apart, I was EXTREMELY lucky I didn't end up going over the handlebars so now that's a must do for me when I got my DT2 and my DT175 or any other bike I may get.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
05 Jan 2023 08:34 #12

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Brakes will be checked and hopefully new brake shoes are available.

Been my experience that if a bike hasn't been ridden in a long time, if the brake lining is going to de-laminate, it will do so quickly. Two decades ago, both of the bikes on which I experienced de-lamination did so the first ride. (AND, both were Zundapp's!)

Much potential grief can be prevented by pulling the wheels and examining the condition of the brake linings (including test prying on them).

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
05 Jan 2023 09:57 #13

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

"....and hopefully new brake shoes are available."

Almost certainly will be, but part numbers will have changed many times! CMSNL and Partzilla might have up to date part numbers and your local dealer certainly will.
05 Jan 2023 10:14 #14

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

And THAT right there is one of the main reasons I've added a Yamaha to my personal riding stable!

I cannot readily obtain brake shoes for my '71 Zundapp GS125 or my '72 DKW GS125. Plus, engine parts are nigh impossible on the Zundapp and getting more scarce for the Sachs engine in the DKW.

I think I've made a good decision to put a Yamaha Enduro among my stack of bikes.

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
05 Jan 2023 10:39 #15

Replied by msavitt on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

nice bike!
I would put a little premix in and check yamalube pump output against spec just to be sure, then you know
06 Jan 2023 08:35 #16

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

UPDATE: BEST LAID PLANS.

Friday night I had it all figured out: I was going to spend Saturday going over the bike adjusting things to fit my stature, style, etc, etc.
Instead, I awoke early (before daybreak) with a stomach bug and began the day sitting on the pot, dry heaving, and trying to sleep... suffice to say it was a "not so fun" day.

NOTHING got done on the DT. The restroom episodes ran their course about 4 PM Saturday, and the worst seemed to be past. However, given all the carnage, "supper" consisted of some crumbled up saltines and "Sprite" on the rocks. Yummy.

Though the pot episodes and heaving had run their course, I was pretty much useless on Sunday. Laid around and ate what simple foods I could and start putting lots of fluids down me to re-hydrate. (Lost over 2 lbs in 12 hrs.) Had zero energy.
Today I'm feeling much better but still no stamina. Wild Child and I had planned to ride tomorrow, but at this point that's "iffy".

SO... my big plans fizzled on a major scale... but I'll eventually get around to it!

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
09 Jan 2023 11:50 #17

Replied by Ht1kid on topic My New (to me) '75 DT125B

What a bummer.  

10 Jan 2023 06:31 #18

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

And I mean it when I say that Saturday turned out to be a sh*tty day.

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
10 Jan 2023 07:18 #19

• Vinduroman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I rode my '75 DT125B around town quite a bit today and it runs good. It's going to make me a dandy bike.

However, being the cautious type, I, too, will be going over it so I can (hopefully) catch something before it's an issue. After all, it IS 48 years old.
I have high hopes that this one may possibly be one of my "Geezer Bikes" that will allow me to continue to riding a vintage enduro bike until I'm too old and frail to ride. (It clicks all my "Givens n' Druthers" boxes: Low seat height, low center of gravity, very user friendly, decent parts availability, AND it has e-start.)
I figure I might as well make a list of things that I want to have on hand that it will eventually need (fork seals, sprockets, etc) and get that process started. Also need to learn what to check, and how to calibrate, the oil injector so I can stay on top of that.

BTW, 50 MPH @ 6400 RPM. Even though red line is 7500 RPM, I can't bring myself to take it higher. I am toying with the idea of adding 1 tooth at the counter shaft for a higher cruise speed at lower RPM. Lots of little piddly to keep me entertained over the coming years.

BUT...

I trying to decide: Typically I remove the turn signals for safe keeping. (Remember, it's going to be ridden out on forest roads and such.) All it takes is one fall over (and it can do that on its own on soft ground) and a lens can be cracked/broke, or a stem bent, or both. HOWEVER... they are so darn handy when putt-putting about town!

What do y'all do?

V-man
'71 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'72 CZ 175 Trail
'75 Yamaha DT125B
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
10 Jan 2023 16:46 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart