facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Life after meltdown

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic Life after meltdown

Okay - took a break from work and pulled crank into left side case, puller worked nicely

I am 100% sure I got all the shims etc in correct location so ignoring this can you endurologists please look at shift fork location? I have the shaft with the one shift fork engaged in the center groove of the shift drum with the long side facing the right side case since it carries shiftware on outside of right side. I have shaft with two shift forks engaging outside shift drum grooves.

Does this orientation look correct? I am 99.3% sure but thought I would ask in spirit of avoiding self-mutilation
13 Jan 2021 12:40 #11

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

oh and one more thing
the crank had a single shim between crank and bearing on clutch side, but not on the magneto side
this is the way I found it upon disassembly and therefore how I planned to put it together since I do not think cases have been previously split. However, I do not see shim on Partzilla so asking to be sure, thanks all
13 Jan 2021 13:29 #12

Replied by Jack on topic Life after meltdown

Looks right. Here's a pic of what mine looked like just after splitting case and before I had mussed with anything in the tranny so this should be correct. It's a view of a right side installation and your's is the opposite so kind of backwards to look at but shows which forks engage which slots.
On the crank shim, I couldn't find one on mine but didn't think to look for one until after I'd carried it over to the house and back once so can't be sure if there wasn't one there before. I installed it with out one but keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't needed. If your's had one I think I'd put it back in there.
13 Jan 2021 18:04 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thanks Jack!

On the Kickstarter, did you preload spring 1 turn, which seems logical to me, lest I have a limp lever :cheer:
13 Jan 2021 18:33 #14

I looked for and couldn't find any info on preload but when I experimented a bit I felt trying to wind it more than one turn would risk breaking the spring.
13 Jan 2021 18:42 #15

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

So you did one turn?

I think that makes sense
13 Jan 2021 19:32 #16

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

So your stuff is in right case half? Or am I entirely backwards!?
13 Jan 2021 19:34 #17

Yes, the pic I posted shows the gears installed in the right side, that's the way it came out when I split the cases. You can install from either side though.
13 Jan 2021 19:59 #18

Actually it was a bit less than one turn if I remember right. I turned it just far enough that the spring tension would pull the dog back into it's slot. I don't know if that's how it should be done but I couldn't figure out any other way to do it and it seems to work. To wind it any tighter I'd have had to go another complete revolution which I felt risked damaging the spring. It would have been extremely tight. I think this is correct but I'm not 100% sure so don't take my word on it. Maybe someone more knowlegeable will speak up and we'll both learn something. How are you preloading the spring? Are you using the kick start lever like I did?
13 Jan 2021 20:11 #19

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I played around some more
For me it’s either ~1/3 of a turn or 1 and 1/3 which is way too much. So I preloaded 1/3 and mocked things up by installing gear, clip, washer abs side cover so I could stroke kick lever and be sure that the thingy that goes under the guide held on by the three bolts with locking tabs in fact would find it’s way home which it did.

I am still waiting on parts and Yamabond 4 so I am going to chill until I hopefully get more expert inputs!
14 Jan 2021 00:39 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart