facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Air leak? HELP!

• Shayne00
  • Shayne00's Avatar Topic Author

Air leak? HELP! was created by Shayne00

I posted on here a while ago that my 74 dt125 was not running right out of nowhere, well I took apart the engine and but it all back together and now it idles and runs BUT it keeps reving up by itself and the idle goes down when I pull the choke out, I’ve had this problem before and it was an air leak but I can’t figure out where it’s coming from this time. I’ve felt around the reeds, carb, and exhaust for air being sucked in and sprayed starting fluid all around the carb,reeds and exhaust but it does nothing, I’m thinking it’s the left side crank seal but I’ve heard that they don’t usually go bad?? And I’ve had trouble getting the armature off, any suggestions on what it could be? I’ve already tried to get the armature off by sticking a bolt in the hole and tightening another bolt on top of it but it ended up bending the smaller bolt and it got stuck inside, thankfully I got it out after a few hours. I don’t want to have to take it off if I don’t have to but I’m not sure where else it could be leaking from.
09 Nov 2019 22:16 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Air leak? HELP!

Firs thing i'd do is back the idle speed screw way out so you can feel or hear the slide touching the bottom. That way it can't rev up except for idle mixture jet fuel which won't go far. Then screw the idle mixture screw in to lightly seat it & leave it there at richest mixture setting. Then start it on choke & flick the choke off then see if you can keep it running & controllable using the throttle. For the armature removal there's a 10mm bolt with a long nose extension that pushes from the bottom of the crank hole. By memory 'without finding mine' the step down is 8mm because also by memory the long bolt that holds it all together is something odd ball like 9mm.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
Last edit: 10 Nov 2019 01:15 by RT325.
10 Nov 2019 01:11 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart